By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Welcomes Windows 8 : Looks Amazing!!

I'll just post what I posted in the other thread:

Dear god yes! That looks awesome!

Microsoft took everything they've learned from WP7 and brought the awesome to Windows 8! I wonder how well it works with mouse and keyboard, but I am definitely thinking of getting a touch PC, just to interact this thing in a more natural way. I wonder how games will work with it.

I hope we get to make apps in other things than HTML5 and JavaScript though...

Around the Network
psrock said:

Yeah, it seems they are going for a version that supports touch and mouse/keyboard. But I'm certain based on the video, you need some serious power to pull off these multitaskings. 

It depends, Microsoft are setting limits for the hardware, so I don't think you will really see device that it doesn't run well on. The limits are only for tablets though, so netbooks might still take a hit.

But the OS isn't going to be out until next year, probably not before Q3/Q4, and chip speeds will have been upped enough to make a Windows 8 tablet viable. The chips in the NGP should be more than enough to handle Windows 8, so I doubt it will be a problem when all is said and done.

Rainbird said:

I'll just post what I posted in the other thread:

Dear god yes! That looks awesome!

Microsoft took everything they've learned from WP7 and brought the awesome to Windows 8! I wonder how well it works with mouse and keyboard, but I am definitely thinking of getting a touch PC, just to interact this thing in a more natural way. I wonder how games will work with it.

Yeah, from the wording he used, I took it to mean that they've added support for these kind of development environments, meaning that other applications will also work.

Thing is, why would you want to use anything other than HTML5 and Javascript? They're easy, powerful, and just about every device out there will support the technologies. There's pretty much nothing else out there which has all of these pros.

disolitude said:

This will not replace windows 7 for computing, gaming or heavy duty tasks...however its a blessing for lower spec devices, tablets and netbooks. Thumbs up.

exactly,if they try to end the computing we are used to today then they will fall hard but otherwise if this is for the normal consumer which just comsumes and doesn't look at the things in detail in their computer then its gud

SamuelRSmith said:
Rainbird said:

Yeah, from the wording he used, I took it to mean that they've added support for these kind of development environments, meaning that other applications will also work.

Thing is, why would you want to use anything other than HTML5 and Javascript? They're easy, powerful, and just about every device out there will support the technologies. There's pretty much nothing else out there which has all of these pros.

It's mostly a preference thing, but I hope they at least have Silverlight support too. It would seem very odd not to have that, and I would much prefer working in Silverlight.

And I can definitely see why they chose webbased technologies. Not needing to design your software to run on several architechtures is a huge boon to developers. My only worry is that the integrated desktop environment is too jarring compared to the front experience, and it would be nice if desktop applications could be run more seamlessly with the touch experience.

Having a Steam app where you can launch into your games without needing to go into the desktop environment would be much nicer than launching Steam in the desktop and then launching your games from there. I know it's just a usability thing, but it's really thorn in my eye right now.

Here's hoping we can have a nice solution though, because the touch interface looks wicked awesome!

Around the Network

The two user interfaces don't seem that integrated, so I'm not really sure about it's advantages for a desktop/laptop PC, just a nicer start screen add-on like the MediaCenter before. Still it's a development I've been waiting for the tablet market, Android had been edging closer on the PC experience for a tablet (the iPad is just a big iPod), but Win8 is sure looking good.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Rainbird said:
SamuelRSmith said:
Rainbird said:

It's mostly a preference thing, but I hope they at least have Silverlight support too. It would seem very odd not to have that, and I would much prefer working in Silverlight.

And I can definitely see why they chose webbased technologies. Not needing to design your software to run on several architechtures is a huge boon to developers. My only worry is that the integrated desktop environment is too jarring compared to the front experience, and it would be nice if desktop applications could be run more seamlessly with the touch experience.

Having a Steam app where you can launch into your games without needing to go into the desktop environment would be much nicer than launching Steam in the desktop and then launching your games from there. I know it's just a usability thing, but it's really thorn in my eye right now.

Here's hoping we can have a nice solution though, because the touch interface looks wicked awesome!

Well, Steam could be done entirely in web technologies, so a Steam tile would be possible with/without supporting any other technology (of course, there will have to be some custom js function for launching applications).

And, yeah, Silverlight support is a given, I'd say. (unless Microsoft drops Silverlight entirely...)

SamuelRSmith said:

Well, Steam could be done entirely in web technologies, so a Steam tile would be possible with/without supporting any other technology (of course, there will have to be some custom js function for launching applications).

And, yeah, Silverlight support is a given, I'd say. (unless Microsoft drops Silverlight entirely...)

I know it's possible to make such a Steam app, I just hope the desktop environment can be avoided when it's not necessary (like launching full screen apps, such as games), but that depends fully on what Microsoft decides to allow.

Here's a link showing off some of the Windows 8 prototypes.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/01/microsoft-reveals-arm-powered-windows-8-prototypes/

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

They ruined windows.

What the fuck.

Check out my game about moles ^