By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Welcomes Windows 8 : Looks Amazing!!

Rainbird said:
Soleron said:

There is literally nothing MS or anyone else can add to an OS to make the majority want or need to upgrade from Windows 7.

I appluad them for trying though. It won't work on tablets for the same reason all previous Windows tablets failed: desktop applications are hard to use and mobile applications are better done by smartphones.

So you're saying Windows 8 won't have good apps you can use?

Windows 8 on ARM won't have backwards compatibility, so it will need many apps to be created, and the most logical thing to do would be to create apps that run in the touch environment, and run on both ARM and x86/x64 architechtures.

And that's before we know how the WP7 apps will come into play. If Microsoft plays their cards well, they have made W8 such that those apps can be easily ported over.

No, I don't believe MS will make any serious software effort to port their own apps to an interface suitable for tablets. Including all their major products, and Windows tools. They will be functional on it but not feel as right as, say, iOS apps.

And I don't think any developers not specifically paid by MS will port their products to Windows-ARM, or port Wp7 apps to feel right on desktops or tablets beyond the just-functional automatic method MS will put in to make them run. It'll feel like running DOS or Java applets.

I think it'll be like touchscreen integration on W7: cute for some shiny tech demos, forgotten about and used by no one six months after launch.

I agree that is what they should do if they are serious.

Around the Network
Soleron said:

No, I don't believe MS will make any serious software effort to port their own apps to an interface suitable for tablets. Including all their major products, and Windows tools. They will be functional on it but not feel as right as, say, iOS apps.

I think it'll be like touchscreen integration on W7: cute for some shiny tech demos, forgotten about and used by no one six months after launch.

I agree that is what they should do if they are serious.

Even if MS don't, and I think they will, there are still a ton of developers out there ready to make money off of any W8 tablets, and I think there will be enough for W8 to do well. The fact that W8 has an actual tablet interface means it will be used rather than forgotten soon after launch I think.

But time will tell I guess.

Rainbird said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

If it's lightweight compared to Win 7 and Vista...

It's lighter than Windows 7 supposedly.

Excellent! But since it's MS we're talking about, let me see it before I believe it!   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Rainbird said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

Excellent! But since it's MS we're talking about, let me see it before I believe it!   

It is time you move off of Win XP. Win 7  is far superior. As for Windows 8 on ARM running existing applications MS has said that Intel was speculating and that is all.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

thx1139 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Rainbird said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

It is time you move off of Win XP. Win 7  is far superior. As for Windows 8 on ARM running existing applications MS has said that Intel was speculating and that is all.

If it supports my HW and SW, and it leaves more free RAM for SW, XP is the best Windows for me.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

Seems like they've taken Windows 7 and given it two interfaces: One for conventional apps and another for HTML5 touch apps. The result seems schizophrenic to me. If I'm making a Win 8 app, do I design it for a touch interface and mobile ARM processor, or do I design it for keyboard and mouse and a beefy Intel CPU? Do I have to design it twice?

Another challenge is the portability to ARM. From what I understand, apps made in managed code such as .NET and Silverlight will move right over with little effort. But most of the really powerful Windows apps are unmanaged code, which will take a lot of work to rebuild for ARM. Don't expect to be using Photoshop on your Windows 8 tablet anytime soon.

There are some good ideas here. I like the tiles and the split keyboard mode. I just think MS might have been better off extending WinPho 7 into a tablet OS than slapping a Windows Phone paint job over Windows 7 and calling it a tablet OS. Tablet users will get an OS billed as being "full Windows" which can't actually run everything a Windows desktop can, and the apps it can run may not be optimized for touch. Desktop users will get a bunch of UI chrome designed for touch use before they run off into the familiar Win 7 "ghetto."

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:

If I'm making a Win 8 app, do I design it for a touch interface and mobile ARM processor, or do I design it for keyboard and mouse and a beefy Intel CPU? Do I have to design it twice?

Both AMD and Intel are making chipsets for tablets, so don't expect W8 tablets to be ARM only.

That's a really sleek looking interface...if you have a touchscreen monitor or a tablet. 

Soleron said:

There is literally nothing MS or anyone else can add to an OS to make the majority want or need to upgrade from Windows 7.

I appluad them for trying though. It won't work on tablets for the same reason all previous Windows tablets failed: desktop applications are hard to use and mobile applications are better done by smartphones.

I believe people have been saying this since XP came around.

Rainbird said:

famousringo said:

If I'm making a Win 8 app, do I design it for a touch interface and mobile ARM processor, or do I design it for keyboard and mouse and a beefy Intel CPU? Do I have to design it twice?

Both AMD and Intel are making chipsets for tablets, so don't expect W8 tablets to be ARM only.

That doesn't really help the consumer confusion, though.

I got the cheaper Windows tablet with better battery life, but why won't it run Creative Suite? Stan's tablet runs it, but the battery only lasts three hours.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.