By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Welcomes Windows 8 : Looks Amazing!!

Microsoft unveils Windows 8 (video)

We're live from Microsoft Windows president Steven Sinofsky's keynote at D9, and there's something rather exciting on stage -- a pair of experimental Windows 8 dev boards running an OS that looks very much like Windows Phone 7's Metro UIAll Things D sat down with the man earlier today, and got a sneak peek at what to expect starting with the live tiled screen you see above -- and yes, like Windows Phone 7, this OS is designed for touch.

There'll be two kinds of applications for Windows 8, one that runs in a traditional desktop, and the other pseudo-mobile apps based on HTML5 and Javascript, but both environments -- rather, the entire OS -- has apparently been designed from the ground up for touchscreen use. Keyboard and mouse will still be options for both sets of programs, but there are multiple virtual sets of keys for different form factors, including a split keyboard for vertical slate use. Multitasking is simply a matter of swiping running apps into the center of the screen, and you can pull windows partway to "snap" them in place alongside other windows -- even mixing and matching traditional desktop programs with web apps. There's a new version of Internet Explorer 10 and an app store built into the touchscreen interface.

All Things D didn't have any details on when we'll get a full reveal, but we're looking at some Intel-based demo units on stage right now, and Microsoft says it will have ARM designs (the OS will support NVIDIA, TI and Qualcomm) viewable on the Computex show floor. We should note that "Windows 8" is just a codename for what we're seeing here -- "we'll figure out the real name in due time," Sinofsky told the crowd -- but we don't see much harm in calling it Windows 8 for now

click on link for video.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/01/microsoft-unveils-windows-8-tablet-prototypes/

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network

There is literally nothing MS or anyone else can add to an OS to make the majority want or need to upgrade from Windows 7.

I appluad them for trying though. It won't work on tablets for the same reason all previous Windows tablets failed: desktop applications are hard to use and mobile applications are better done by smartphones.

Soleron said:

There is literally nothing MS or anyone else can add to an OS to make the majority want or need to upgrade from Windows 7.

I appluad them for trying though. It won't work on tablets for the same reason all previous Windows tablets failed: desktop applications are hard to use and mobile applications are better done by smartphones.

Windows 7 is terrific but from the video i just saw, the game has changed. Windows has evolved. I will upgrade as soon its available. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

this should replace Windows Media Center, not Windows 7 as a whole its nice that they kept Windows 7 in there but that should be the main interface IMO.

Soleron said:

Except there isn't a Windows alternative to Ipad, this OS will probably be used in those devices when they come. And no they will not be the next Zune, since people actually like Windows and i know many people who would have bought an Ipad if it had Windows, myself included.

Around the Network

Wow I didn't think they could get any better than W7 but they did! I will probably buy it right away!

This will not replace windows 7 for computing, gaming or heavy duty tasks...however its a blessing for lower spec devices, tablets and netbooks. Thumbs up.

Soleron said:

Well that's not true, to tell you frankly, I don't need the new Windows 8 since 7 is o well done but the new interface will help with both the touch screens and the Kinect. Also It's not like MS has released a Windows Tablet yet. A tablet with that interface is way more interresting than the regular "apps based" GUI. IMO...

If people are willing to buy a new 700$ iPad every year I guess they can upgrade to a new Windows every 3-4 years.

disolitude said:

This will not replace windows 7 for computing, gaming or heavy duty tasks...however its a blessing for lower spec devices, tablets and netbooks. Thumbs up.

lower specs? it takes alot of power to do those multitasking moves.

Next Gen 

psrock said:
disolitude said:

lower specs? it takes alot of power to do those multitasking moves.

I don't know how they expect to run on ARM architecture then...