By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Welcomes Windows 8 : Looks Amazing!!

famousringo said:
Rainbird said:

famousringo said:

If I'm making a Win 8 app, do I design it for a touch interface and mobile ARM processor, or do I design it for keyboard and mouse and a beefy Intel CPU? Do I have to design it twice?

Both AMD and Intel are making chipsets for tablets, so don't expect W8 tablets to be ARM only.

That doesn't really help the consumer confusion, though.

I got the cheaper Windows tablet with better battery life, but why won't it run Creative Suite? Stan's tablet runs it, but the battery only lasts three hours.

That's going to be one of the challenges Microsoft has ahead of them, yes.

Around the Network
famousringo said:

Seems like they've taken Windows 7 and given it two interfaces: One for conventional apps and another for HTML5 touch apps. The result seems schizophrenic to me. If I'm making a Win 8 app, do I design it for a touch interface and mobile ARM processor, or do I design it for keyboard and mouse and a beefy Intel CPU? Do I have to design it twice?

Another challenge is the portability to ARM. From what I understand, apps made in managed code such as .NET and Silverlight will move right over with little effort. But most of the really powerful Windows apps are unmanaged code, which will take a lot of work to rebuild for ARM. Don't expect to be using Photoshop on your Windows 8 tablet anytime soon.

There are some good ideas here. I like the tiles and the split keyboard mode. I just think MS might have been better off extending WinPho 7 into a tablet OS than slapping a Windows Phone paint job over Windows 7 and calling it a tablet OS. Tablet users will get an OS billed as being "full Windows" which can't actually run everything a Windows desktop can, and the apps it can run may not be optimized for touch. Desktop users will get a bunch of UI chrome designed for touch use before they run off into the familiar Win 7 "ghetto."

The interface they showed yesterday is really for Tablet, Kinect and touch screen devices like Surface.  You wouldnt want to use Photoshop with your fingers.  But give me the ability to plug in a tablet into a keyboard and mouse and use more traditional applications then take the tablet with me for more portable applications with the new interface is something that will do well.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Looks horrible, i'm lost for words to describe it.

What's for sure is that it looks like MS finally realized there are huge new markets independent from Windows PC that are growing around it and that will slowly but unstoppably erode the position of strength MS built during 20 years with proprietary formats and protocols and a huge Windows/x86 specific and hardly portable SW library that due to the same closedness that in the past built its power could now be marginalized. So MS started with great vigour to diversify in every new market it can, but up until now its biggest success is XB360 and it came with costs a lot higher and profit margins a lot lower than what MS is used to with Windows and Office, while Zune was a total failure and WinCE/Mobile/Phone, despite growing, is weaker than its biggest competitors and never generated profits.

It's a bloody battle ahead of MS, and this time its weapons are only money, developers and experience, its two monopolies are of no use there.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

If this is the future for MS OS, then I will migrate to linux.