By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - How Well Do You Run The Wticher 2?

Wish I could contribute to this...but I formated my machine left my current SSD to OS and programs. I am waiting for a new SSD to arrive so I can start loading it up with games. I'd love to see if I can max this game, so ill post again in a few days...

Around the Network
yo_john117 said:
zarx said:
yo_john117 said:
StefanieFogel said:
yo_john117 said:

i'm fairly sure The Witcher 2 hasn't been updated yet.

Actually, The Witcher 2 has been updated. You have to download it manually though. :)

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/86407/the-witcher-2-patch-released-drm-removed/

Unless you mean that a 2nd patch hasn't been released yet. In which case, carry on...

I thought Steam automatically updated all games?

But i'll try to download it and see what happens.

the steam version should be automatically updated and the manual patch shouldn't even work

Ah ok, I'm just confused why I am perpetually stuck at around 25-30 FPS whenever I play on any of the settings (except I haven't tried ultra settings) Its not too bad but you can notice very slight lag when you turn...its about as bad as Crysis 2 on the consoles.

check out this 

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witcher_2/common_issues_and_possible_solutions_read_before_posting 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

zarx said:
yo_john117 said:
zarx said:
yo_john117 said:
StefanieFogel said:
yo_john117 said:

i'm fairly sure The Witcher 2 hasn't been updated yet.

Actually, The Witcher 2 has been updated. You have to download it manually though. :)

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/86407/the-witcher-2-patch-released-drm-removed/

Unless you mean that a 2nd patch hasn't been released yet. In which case, carry on...

I thought Steam automatically updated all games?

But i'll try to download it and see what happens.

the steam version should be automatically updated and the manual patch shouldn't even work

Ah ok, I'm just confused why I am perpetually stuck at around 25-30 FPS whenever I play on any of the settings (except I haven't tried ultra settings) Its not too bad but you can notice very slight lag when you turn...its about as bad as Crysis 2 on the consoles.

check out this 

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witcher_2/common_issues_and_possible_solutions_read_before_posting 

Thanks the graphics section looks like it will help me out.

I'm currently running at 2560 x 1440 resolution (27" Dell u2711 monitor) with Ultra settings (disabled uber, increased texture memory size to very large and lod distance to far). Game runs great hovering about 60fps mark, occasionally goes into the upper 40's and 50's, but usually 60 plus. (turned off vsync for testing)

If I play at the standard Ultra setting with uber enabled (texture memory - large, lod distance - normal) then I'm usually in the 20-30 fps range, sometimes dropping into the teens. I can play with ubersampling on at 1080p(my old monitor's limit), but it just feels to slow at the higher resolution.

I'm running a core i7 2600k, 8gb ddr3 1600 ram, 2 x 2GB AMD 6950's shader unlocked @6970 core/mem speed (essentially 6970's) in Crossfire.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

smbu2000 said:

I'm currently running at 2560 x 1440 resolution (27" Dell u2711 monitor) with Ultra settings (disabled uber, increased texture memory size to very large and lod distance to far). Game runs great hovering about 60fps mark, occasionally goes into the upper 40's and 50's, but usually 60 plus. (turned off vsync for testing)

If I play at the standard Ultra setting with uber enabled (texture memory - large, lod distance - normal) then I'm usually in the 20-30 fps range, sometimes dropping into the teens. I can play with ubersampling on at 1080p(my old monitor's limit), but it just feels to slow at the higher resolution.

I'm running a core i7 2600k, 8gb ddr3 1600 ram, 2 x 2GB AMD 6950's shader unlocked @6970 core/mem speed (essentially 6970's) in Crossfire.

I wish I had this type of money.

Around the Network
smbu2000 said:

Ah that's what it takes to run the game as intented. (still without ubersampling)

The engine is a bit weird though, it doesn't down scale much. I changed the lod distance from very near to normal and hardly notice a difference in frame rate. Might as well play it on high since the 5fps gain from setting everything to low isn't really worth it.

Downsampling texture resolution helps but I'm not sacrificing those beautiful textures, finally a game with good texture resolution.

Shinobi-san said:

Everyone talking about the ubersampling setting :D makes me excited.

I dont have the game yet but does ubersampling = something truly amazing or just a slight step up in smapling ?

It makes the game look like a beautiful slideshow. I'm not sure there's a computer on the market that can handle it

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

StefanieFogel said:

Buying The Witcher 2 has made me realize just how OLD my computer is! Especially the graphics card (a 512mb GeForce 9400 GT). So, I'm going to upgrade. Luckily, my birthday is next week and I was able to talk my mom into picking up a 1 gig GTS 450 for me. My comp only has a 375w power supply, and the card requires 400w, but from what I've read on Tom's Hardware and the Dell forums, Dell is very conservative when it lists wattage and people say the card should work just fine. If not, well, power supplies don't seem to be that expensive. ;)

Unfortunately, the game still won't run particularly well on a GTS 450. I suppose you could manage a low-medium spec with a decent framerate, but if you can, go even higher than that. It's a very intensive game.

Incidentally, the review will be up soon.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

i run it on high at 1680* 1050 resolution.

I have an i5 santy bridge 2300 k at 2.9ghz.

Nvidia gtx 460 overclockerd version an d8 gb ddr 3 ram at 1333mhz frequency.

Kantor said:
Shinobi-san said:

Everyone talking about the ubersampling setting :D makes me excited.

I dont have the game yet but does ubersampling = something truly amazing or just a slight step up in smapling ?

It makes the game look like a beautiful slideshow. I'm not sure there's a computer on the market that can handle it

Just depends on what resolution your running at. I could play with ubersampling if I ran at 1080p (my old 24" resolution) or 1920x1200 resolution. I just got a new monitor, great deal on it!, (27" Dell u2711 http://tinyurl.com/yf3ukg4 ) which runs at 2560 x 1440 resolution and ubersampling runs just a tad slow at that resolution on my setup. I'd rather have the higher resolution with everything except uber, than a lower resolution with uber.

This is an early performance review, before the 1.1 patch ( http://tinyurl.com/3kuju62 ) but you can see that a SLI/Crossfire setup(or dual gpu card) is pretty much required to enable uber at higher settings, ubersampling is a performance killer. (at 2560 x 1600, 30" monitors, it most likely requires a triple card setup) There are also a few screenshots there as well. (the test is done with a gtx 570 stock/oc, gtx 580 stock/oc and gtx 570 SLI oc)

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"