By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
RolStoppable said:
pitzy272 said:

Then I think Sony will announce the price cut then also. They announced the price cut at the end of the year in 2009 as well. Wasn't it in August then, too?

Yes, that (including the official reveal of the PS3 Slim) happened at Gamescom. Although August isn't quite what I would call the end of the year.

Touche'.

Around the Network

A lot of people are saying Microsoft will drop price as soon as Sony does; but, Microsoft just recently redesigned and added features to the 360 (wifi, bigger HD, etc.). I would think this would make it more difficult for M$ to drop price whenever they so please, bc the system is seemingly more expensive now.

I remember Pachter and others said the same thing back in 2009 when the ps3 pricedrop was rumored. But M$ never did, did they? Didn't they just phase out their mid-level $299 SKU and bring down the $399 SKU to $299? Thus, not really a (true) price drop.

With the recent redesign, can M$ drop the 360's price as readily as some make it seem? I'm not saying it won't happen, but I just don't think the price to produce each 360 is so much less than $299 that M$ can drop the price in the drop of a hat.

Edit: wow, time flew when I was at grad school the past year. Been out of the loop. The 360 slim wasn't released as recent as I thought. Been almost a year. My skepticism still remains, though.

psrock said:
Blood_Tears said:
CGI-Quality said:
Blood_Tears said:

PS3/360 gap closing, i predict after E3 360 will start outselling PS3 WW again.

If there's a price cut, it definitely will. Now if Sony follows, PS3 will probably remain ahead.

That's exactly what i was thinking. But i think Sony will wait till Gamescom for price cut, they seem to really want to own that event and make it one of there top conferences.

My only thing is, why isnt the 360 outselling the PS3 now, with all the negative talk, with PSN being down, with multiplat games just destroying on 360, why can't it do it now? The 360 has every advantage in the books. So, you think once the PSN things start slowing down, actual games coming in June for the PS3, the 360 will magicly start outselling it. 

hahahaha!

I seez what you did there!

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

RolStoppable said:
pitzy272 said:

A lot of people are saying Microsoft will drop price as soon as Sony does; but, Microsoft just recently redesigned and added features to the 360 (wifi, etc.). I would think this would make it more difficult for M$ to drop price whenever they so please, bc the system is seemingly more expensive now.

I remember Pachter and others said the same thing back in 2009 when the ps3 pricedrop was rumored. But M$ never did, did they? Didn't they just phase out their mid-level $299 SKU and bring down the $399 SKU to $299? Thus, not really a (true) price drop.

With the recent redesign, can M$ drop the 360's price as readily as some make it seem?

Yes, they can. The 360 is full of tech that is cheap to produce by now, so it won't be an issue for them to drop the price. Also, redesigns usually result in lower production costs, not higher ones.

The reason why they didn't do it in 2009 is because they felt confident and had a big enough overall lead over the PS3 (eight million, I think). The situation is different today. The PS3 continues to close the gap with every week that passes and the overall lead has shrunk to about three million units. Another price cut for the PS3 without a reaction from Microsoft would mean that Sony's console passes the 360 within a few months. If Microsoft really cares for second place, then they won't sit idle once Sony drops the price.

Typically they do, yeah, except that M$ added several things with the redesign rather than keeping the system the same and concentrating simply on reducing system costs. Adding Wifi couldn't have been a cheap addition, and adding the bigger HD had to cost a bit as well. Otherwise I would totally be with you on this. Like I said, M$ may very well drop the price this year. I just don't think the system production cost is so much less than the system sale price that M$ can drop price as easily as some make it sound.

thx1139 said:
Yakuzaice said:
thx1139 said:

Things will be different in 2011 compared to 2009.

Smaller Pricecut
Competition pricecuts as well, MS will match pricecut or more, Nintendo has already cut price
No big franchises still coming
Nearing the end of the generation.

We don't know how big the price cut will be.  If it is $100 again, that would be a larger percentage cut that last time. 

Nintendo cut their price in 2009 around the same time as the PS3, Microsoft also cut the price of the elite to $300 as well as discounting the pro to clear its stock.

The big exclusive in holiday 2009 was Uncharted 2.  The big exclusive in holiday 2011 is Uncharted 3.  Japan got FFXIII in late 2009, it seems they might get FFXIII-2 in late 2011.

Seems pretty similar to me.

It wont be $100 especially with all the added unexpected expenses related to the PSN outage.  If it is $100 MS will cut $100 as well on the similiarly priced models.

True Nintendo did cut price by $50 a month later.  MS dropped an SKU because it was no longer selling because people didnt see that much value going from 60-120 (or was it 160) HDD. 360 wasnt cut they just adjusted the size of HDD as they have every year since launch. I expect the same this year for both PS3 and 360. MS and Sony will ship with the most cost effective HDD.

Sony still had the very first Final Fantasy, first GT, first God of War, and first Killzone all to come for the PS3.  Now they have sequels to titles already on the PS3 and tier 2 IPs coming.

Why is it still hard for some to admit that the 360 DID have a price cut in '09, just like everyone else.  To me it just seems like an excuse to explain why the PS3 has been selling so well against it, even though they both received a pricecut.  And you say MS will cut by $100 if Sony does.  But won't that just be "adjusting the size of the HDD" like before.  So I guess we can still expect to see the PS3 outsell the 360?  See how that flawed logic works against you sometimes?

As for the second bold, isn't that exactly what the 360 has going for it, as well?  Only the PS3's exclusives seem to be releasing more frequently.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
pitzy272 said:

A lot of people are saying Microsoft will drop price as soon as Sony does; but, Microsoft just recently redesigned and added features to the 360 (wifi, etc.). I would think this would make it more difficult for M$ to drop price whenever they so please, bc the system is seemingly more expensive now.

With the recent redesign, can M$ drop the 360's price as readily as some make it seem?

Yes, they can. The 360 is full of tech that is cheap to produce by now, so it won't be an issue for them to drop the price. Also, redesigns usually result in lower production costs, not higher ones.

The reason why they didn't do it in 2009 is because they felt confident and had a big enough overall lead over the PS3 (eight million, I think). The situation is different today. The PS3 continues to close the gap with every week that passes and the overall lead has shrunk to about three million units. Another price cut for the PS3 without a reaction from Microsoft would mean that Sony's console passes the 360 within a few months. If Microsoft really cares for second place, then they won't sit idle once Sony drops the price.

What I don't get is... People think it will be MS responding to the Sony pricecut.

Why? Sony have no reason at all to cut the PS3's price before the 360 cut.

PS3 is profiting. PS3 is outselling the 360. PS3 is currently "winning" the Year. There is really no reason for them to cut the price before MS do. If anything, the recent Wii pricecut could push MS to cut sooner than they wanted to. If the Wii starts stealing the Kinect customers in America, then well... Yeah, the 360 has nothing really. Japan is non existant for them and "EMEAA" is starting to fade away for them too.

Wii cut is now.
360 cut is E3.
PS3 cut is Gamescom.

Also wouldn't be surprised to see another PS3 redesign, or finally releasing a load of different colours.

Metallicube said:

Nintendo has become the new Sony. By that I mean they took great momentum and killed it, with ALL of their hardware, by making selfish moves and not listening to the consumer. Now all three of their platforms are at the bottom, well besides PSP which is pretty much dead outside Japan anyway.

I just hope it takes them sooner than a decade to get their heads out of their asses this time.

EMEAA Numbers -

360: 42k
DS: 42k
PSP: 37k
3DS: 33k
Wii: 33k

Saying the PSP is dead outside of Japan is soooooooo wrong! If the PSP is dead outside of Japan then what are the 360, DS, 3DS and Wii outside of America? All 5 of those consoles are within + /- 10% of eachother across "EMEAA".

xbox got a little close to confort this week :/ was this the week when psn was still down?? and sonys numbers in emmeaa and japan were terrible and pokemon is a sales beast are they up to 11mill now? 6 more to go to beat diamond and pearl and doing around 140k-80k a week it should get there some time in 1 and a half years i would guess if it gets bundled up but it should slow down soon

congrats to xbox even though there performance was the same and no gains there still hanging in there with kinect and gears hype i wonder how they will do when june rolls along with infamous?

pitzy272 said:
RolStoppable said:
pitzy272 said:

Typically they do, yeah, except that M$ added several things with the redesign rather than keeping the system the same and concentrating simply on reducing system costs. Adding Wifi couldn't have been a cheap addition, and adding the bigger HD had to cost a bit as well. Otherwise I would totally be with you on this. Like I said, M$ may very well drop the price this year. I just don't think the system production cost is so much less than the system sale price that M$ can drop price as easily as some make it sound.

HDD prices continually drop. 2 years ago the size that was most cost effecient was the 120GB drives. Last year for the same money the 250GB drives became the most cost effecient. This year it will be the 320GB-500GB drives. So MS/Sony change the size of the drives to keep costs down.  This is why the 2009 cancellation of the Elite wasnt a price reduction it was an SKU reduction.  If they had done it in 2 steps then there would be no argument. MS adjusted the SKUs down to 2. One without HDD and one with and got rid of the unit with the larger HDD. MS also removed items that they now sell outside of the box. Yes you can get 3rd party, but like Sony they hope uneducated consumers by the official product. WiFi is cheap and was easily a quick throw in.

The financial results from MS division shows that the 360 is very profitable and can easily drop price, not to mention MS also gets to drop price on Kinect as well.  PS3 still isnt making much money, it is finally profitable, but Sony wont drop the price and produce losses again. Not to mention the PSN outage costs and I mean the immediate expenses associated with getting the network back in operation, the losses in profit and revenue from operations, and finally the long term costs associated with fines and lawsuits are all going to eat into profit and revenue.

This all adds up to 360 is a better position to drop price. It has been a year longer than PS3.  We are approaching the end of 360 year 6 and in 360 history the non HDD model has dropped $100 and the HDD model has dropped $100 from the initial launch.   Still I think MS will wait for Sony to drop the PS3 in price b4 they make a move. Possible exception is Kinect. I could see them drop the price of Kinect and 360s with Kinect 1st.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

CGI-Quality said:
Pokemanic said:

xbox got a little close to confort this week :/ was this the week when psn was still down?? and sonys numbers in emmeaa and japan were terrible and pokemon is a sales beast are they up to 11mill now? 6 more to go to beat diamond and pearl and doing around 140k-80k a week it should get there some time in 1 and a half years i would guess if it gets bundled up but it should slow down soon

congrats to xbox even though there performance was the same and no gains there still hanging in there with kinect and gears hype i wonder how they will do when june rolls along with infamous?

Sony's numbers are terrible in EMEAA? How so? I mean, if theirs were terrible, I'm curious to know what would you call everyone else's.

Even in Japan, they are getting low (yes), but terrible - nah.

PS3 in Japan also had plenty of fairly big titles delayed due to the quake did they not? That alone hurt their momentum.

As for you question, if PS3 EMEAA sales are considered terrible than everyone else is considered... uhh... dying?

I have a good point too considering people say PSP is dying everywhere but Japan.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!