By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

yes but playstation should be doing 80k in emeea and 20k in japan and 60k in usa the usa numbers are actually quite good since its xbox country over their anyways emeea dropped 10k from last week?

Around the Network
thx1139 said:
spurgeonryan said:

I guess the 149.99 price cut didnt affect wii sales?

Wont show up until next week.  Notice the discussion about it?

I don't know about you, but when there's 100 comments I don't tend to read them all, all the time

Also- as has been said, I reckon around 190-210k next week, 170k week after, then 150k, then levelling out at around the same as the PS360 a couple weeks after that, with a huge boost in November-December and with the Zelda launch. But that's just my thoughts.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

pezus said:
thx1139 said:
pitzy272 said:
RolStoppable said:

Yes, they can. The 360 is full of tech that is cheap to produce by now, so it won't be an issue for them to drop the price. Also, redesigns usually result in lower production costs, not higher ones.

The reason why they didn't do it in 2009 is because they felt confident and had a big enough overall lead over the PS3 (eight million, I think). The situation is different today. The PS3 continues to close the gap with every week that passes and the overall lead has shrunk to about three million units. Another price cut for the PS3 without a reaction from Microsoft would mean that Sony's console passes the 360 within a few months. If Microsoft really cares for second place, then they won't sit idle once Sony drops the price.

Typically they do, yeah, except that M$ added several things with the redesign rather than keeping the system the same and concentrating simply on reducing system costs. Adding Wifi couldn't have been a cheap addition, and adding the bigger HD had to cost a bit as well. Otherwise I would totally be with you on this. Like I said, M$ may very well drop the price this year. I just don't think the system production cost is so much less than the system sale price that M$ can drop price as easily as some make it sound.

HDD prices continually drop. 2 years ago the size that was most cost effecient was the 120GB drives. Last year for the same money the 250GB drives became the most cost effecient. This year it will be the 320GB-500GB drives. So MS/Sony change the size of the drives to keep costs down.  This is why the 2009 cancellation of the Elite wasnt a price reduction it was an SKU reduction.  If they had done it in 2 steps then there would be no argument. MS adjusted the SKUs down to 2. One without HDD and one with and got rid of the unit with the larger HDD. MS also removed items that they now sell outside of the box. Yes you can get 3rd party, but like Sony they hope uneducated consumers by the official product. WiFi is cheap and was easily a quick throw in.

The financial results from MS division shows that the 360 is very profitable and can easily drop price, not to mention MS also gets to drop price on Kinect as well.  PS3 still isnt making much money, it is finally profitable, but Sony wont drop the price and produce losses again. Not to mention the PSN outage costs and I mean the immediate expenses associated with getting the network back in operation, the losses in profit and revenue from operations, and finally the long term costs associated with fines and lawsuits are all going to eat into profit and revenue.

This all adds up to 360 is a better position to drop price. It has been a year longer than PS3.  We are approaching the end of 360 year 6 and in 360 history the non HDD model has dropped $100 and the HDD model has dropped $100 from the initial launch.   Still I think MS will wait for Sony to drop the PS3 in price b4 they make a move. Possible exception is Kinect. I could see them drop the price of Kinect and 360s with Kinect 1st.

Doubt it. Sony won't drop if they are outselling the 360...which they currently are doing.

Like I said what I could see is MS dropping price of Kinect as an interim step until Sony commits.  I dont think MS cares one bit that Sony is gaining 40,000 to 80,000 per month WW on the 360.  MS is really enjoying the profits and investing in the business.  Think MS is simply going to match price with the HDD version of the 360 with the lowest price version of the PS3 and be happy with that.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

America:

XB360 first as usual. DS second and PS3 third, punished for the PSN affair, but not too harshly. This is the most important region not only for MS, but also for Nintendo, and currently, with MS doing well in EMEAA too, the importance for Ninty is even more evident. Here Wii manages to avoid not only last place, but also second to last one, achieving a whopping 4th place (third to last)! W00t! W00t!! W00t!!!   

WW:

PS3 wins a slow week. XB360 second, with DS third, barely achieving a testicular pie with it. Horrible last place for Wii, its sole consolation is that despite this, Balance Board still beats Kinect in EMEAA and WW, and Kinect, after the huge marketing campaign in EMEAA around Easter is over, is dropping and out of the Top 10 again in EMEAA and WW. So, despite hit by Kinect's attack, Wii's biggest not bundled cash cow is still the leader.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

this is how the wii shouldve sold since the beggining , too casual console

Around the Network
Immortal said:
NYANKS said:

It could be more than hate.  Maybe he just sees this as fair, believing that the Wii didn't deserve prior sales gamewise.  

Or it could just be that he believes in Microsoft's path in the industry more. 

Isn't believing that the Wii doesn't deserve sales hate?

I mean, surely I am to be considered a hater if I think the HD consoles are terrible, have worthless games and don't deserve any of their sales. And, if I said that I think that MS and Sony are vile corporations leading gaming on a path of destruction, I definitely think I'm a hater.

In this situation, hate can pretty much be described as wanting something bad for another. Heck, he doesn't even claim to want 360 to do well, he just seems to want the Wii to do worse.

I don't agree with you and here's why.

Say you are in highschool and you have two classmates who are both athletes. One of them has been putting a lot of effort to reach the top and the other has been slacking a lot for quite some time, because of his past success. Now you want your weaker classmate to do better, because you believe that he deserves it more, since the other one keeps missing practice and does not enough to help himself become better. Your wish for the weaker to do better does not mean that you hate the other guy, just that you consider him less deserving the praise/achievements he gets. Is there anything wrong with that? Does it follow that you actually hate the strong guy?

OT: Glad to see that the psp is not dead yet.

naruball said:

Say you are in highschool and you have two classmates who are both athletes. One of them has been putting a lot of effort to reach the top and the other has been slacking a lot for quite some time, because of his past success. Now you want your weaker classmate to do better, because you believe that he deserves it more, since the other one keeps missing practice and does not enough to help himself become better. Your wish for the weaker to do better does not mean that you hate the other guy, just that you consider him less deserving the praise/achievements he gets. Is there anything wrong with that? Does it follow that you actually hate the strong guy?

I actually went through this argument with a couple of people already, but since you responded, I might as well. Your analogy is kinda flawed here - if some guy has actually been slacking and missing practice, then you can tell. On the other hand, it is an opinion that the Wii "has been slacking". Not only that, but he was wishing that the Wii's price cut should have no effect, along the lines of wishing that this guy with past success fails even when he's trying really hard and making sacrifices by your analogy.

Of course, I've already been through this argument - he told me his stance and I accepted it - so this is kinda pointless.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Immortal said:
naruball said:

I actually went through this argument with a couple of people already, but since you responded, I might as well. Your analogy is kinda flawed here - if some guy has actually been slacking and missing practice, then you can tell. On the other hand, it is an opinion that the Wii "has been slacking". Not only that, but he was wishing that the Wii's price cut should have no effect, along the lines of wishing that this guy with past success fails even when he's trying really hard and making sacrifices by your analogy.

Of course, I've already been through this argument - he told me his stance and I accepted it - so this is kinda pointless.

In that case, apologies. I did not read that.

Rockyb said:

this is how the wii shouldve sold since the beggining , too casual console

Too casual? It shouldn't have sold to a lot of people because it appeals to a lot of people?

I do believe being casual is one of the main sources of its success.

Wii is where it should've been from the very beginning.