By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I feel a MASSIVE change in the gaming industry

Kyros said:
"most consumers in the broad market don't really want the 360/PS3 style of gaming."

Halo3 sales numbers would disagree with that statement. Besides what is the PS3 style of gaming? There are only two areas that are really Wii specific.

Party games that are build around motion detection. These have essentially sold the Wii. On the other hand how do you want to improve them? More games, better graphics? This is not what has made them great, an ugly little game like Wii Sports was amazingly fun when played with other people, I don't think Wii Sports 2 will be "better".

The Wii control as "lightgun" for rail-shooters like RE-UC or in First Person Shooters. This is definitely an improvement, on the other hand FPS are not essentially new or different from 360 type of gaming.

I don't think the Wii is a fad but I think Party games are one. They will sell less and less. In the end classic games will decide if the Wii will win this generation.

Honestly, do you think Halo 3 moved systems? because I am doubting it. It looks like a large majority of Halo 3 owners were already Xbox 360 owners, but it allowed MS to post increased sales of around the release.

Data for the week before it's release shows a total of

40,596 units, behind the DS, PSP, PS2, and Wii

Data for the week after it's release

76,490 units, behind the DS, PSP and PS2

Data for the week after that

56,357 units, behind the DS, PSP and PS2

and finally one more week after that

47,948 units, behind the DS , PS3 (price cut) , Wii, PSP, and PS2.

So, while Halo 3 has sold some 6 + million peices of software, it had a very small bump in hardware sales, meaning Halo 3 did not move many new peices of hardware into people's homes, it was primarily purchased by previous owners.

Around the Network

"Honestly, do you think Halo 3 moved systems?"

First: Yes I think Halo3 moved systems. No idea how many. Second this was not the question. facher said that people don't care about PS3/360 style games. And I really think sales numbers of Assassin's CoD and Halo prove the contrary.

Kyros said:
"most consumers in the broad market don't really want the 360/PS3 style of gaming."

Halo3 sales numbers would disagree with that statement.

I don't see how Halo3 having 6 million sales is grounds of proving a point.  It's still 2 million behind Halo 2, and only marginaly passed over Halo 1...  despite having been deemed such phrases such as "Thebiggest release in video game history" and such.  If that's the case, 6 million, I point back to a little title called Super Mario Bros. 3 - 17.28 million units as a non-bundled console game.  Look at the 10 million software lists and you'll see all Nintendo, and a few Grand Tourismos, and a few GTAs, otherwise it's a landslide even when you take out bundled units.

I really don't see Halo 3 selling 10 million..... maybe by 2009, it will, but not any time soon.  Unless it passes Halo 2, you can't honestly say it was a selling point.

I can see Mario Kart Wii, Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario RPG (VC?), Chrono Trigger (VC?), Wii Fit, all selling near or well over 10 million units, and having a considerable effect on console sales - I don't really see the same effect with other XBox or PS games.  Sure, Guitar Hero sells extremely well, but this is its own "party game" as well - these sell very well.  I see a lot of life in Wii in 2008, infact a very enormous amount of life with these games (or possible games), and don't even account for a lot of other smaller names.

Xbox and PS, I can't say the same... and yes, "majority of gamers" means majority, which includes everyone, not just Xbox/PS-style types of gamers - because they ARE a minority, even if they spend mroe time on a console during the day - they have less money than the majority of gamers.

Numbers: Checker Players > Halo Players

Checkers Age and replayability > Halo Age and replayability

Therefore, Checkers > Halo

So, Checkers is a better game than Halo.

Kyros said:

First: Yes I think Halo3 moved systems. No idea how many. Second this was not the question. facher said that people don't care about PS3/360 style games. And I really think sales numbers of Assassin's CoD and Halo prove the contrary.

All i have to really do is look at the console sales to see where I don't believe your suggestion.

Wii has fifteen individual 1+ million software titles. 

PS3 has four.

XBox360 has 29, but has been out for an entire year longer, including another holiday season, which skews the numbers a bit, epsecially when you're the only system out for a while.

http://www.vgchartz.com/news/news.php?id=729

Shows that last weeks software sales, the top 20 list, Nintendo systems own 15 of them.  And, it seems very landslide-ish in favor of Nintendo games.  Not a single XBox360 made teh top 20.

I think one more year and Wii software sales will surpass 360 sales by a considerable margin.  I'll guess 40 one million sales for software on XBox360, and 45 one million software sales for Wii.

Numbers: Checker Players > Halo Players

Checkers Age and replayability > Halo Age and replayability

Therefore, Checkers > Halo

So, Checkers is a better game than Halo.

Kyros said:

Ok, now your making me think your blind.

A game that moves systems does so most notably when the game is released. The cold hard facts/numbers show a marginal increase when Halo 3 came out, and a drop which continued and moved the 360 step by step down the list. I own a 360, and I bought Halo 3, but I didnt buy the 360 for Halo 3. I doubt many people really did, otherwise the numbers would show it.

Take SMG this past week, that game is a system seller. You have 400,000+ copies of the game going out, weeks after it was released, and subsequently you have 740,000+ Wii's going out as well. Granted, this was the big holiday week, but SMG was selling well previously, the Wii was as well.

Around the Network

"I don't see how Halo3 having 6 million sales is grounds of proving a point. It's still 2 million behind Halo 2, and only marginaly passed over Halo 1"

And? It sold huge amounts and will likely pass its likewise hugely successful predecessors. People getting fed up with PS3/360 style games looks differently n'est pas? Not only sequels do well on PS3/360 but also new IP like Assassin's sells like hotcakes. And no a game not only becomes relevant after it sold 10 millions. 3 Games selling 3 million make a much more diverse game library.

"Look at the 10 million software lists and you'll see all Nintendo"

Again And? Nintendo is a great game developer. Not really news. Games like Mario, Zelda and Metroid are probably the most classic games available and their Wii installments are very similar to their Gamecube predecessors. I had the impression that you somehow argued that people are fed up with these classic games and will switch to specific Wii titles that focus heavily on motion control, easy party games etc. (Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Carnival Games). Compared to Super Smash Brothers HAlo3 is innovative and new .

And yes the Wii will have a successful year 2008. So will PS3 and 360. Next year GTA4, Gran Turismo, MGS4 and hundred other games will come out and if you think a Mario RPG will sell 10 million either you are crazy or customers are stupid. The italian plumber is barely bearable when there is no story at all like in SMG.

facher83 said:

http://www.vgchartz.com/news/news.php?id=729

Shows that last weeks software sales, the top 20 list, Nintendo systems own 15 of them.  And, it seems very landslide-ish in favor of Nintendo games.  Not a single XBox360 made teh top 20.

I think one more year and Wii software sales will surpass 360 sales by a considerable margin.  I'll guess 40 one million sales for software on XBox360, and 45 one million software sales for Wii.

IN JAPAN... Did you miss that part in the link?

Oh and here's a copy and paste from a previous post I made where the topic turned to Japan:

"DS owns Japan not the Wii.  As for 3rd parties in Japan here're some numbers on how the top 15 publishers are doing in Japan with their Wii games (chart is from NeoGAF, numbers are from Media Create LTD up until December 2nd, 2007):

Publisher       Games     Total        Median
 1      Nintendo         17     8 294 000       487 882
 2      Namco-Bandai     10       658 000        65 800
 3      Square-Enix       1       477 000       477 000
 4      Capcom            4       266 000        66 500
 5      Konami            5       221 000        44 200
 6      SEGA              6       216 000        36 000
 7      Hudson            7       199 500        28 500
 8      Takara-Tomy       2       136 000        68 000
 9      MMV               3        82 000        27 333
10      Koei              5        81 000        16 200
11      Tecmo             2        76 000        38 000
12      Ubisoft           3        58 000        19 333
13      Banpresto         1        56 000        56 000
14      AQ Interactive    1        53 000        53 000
15      E.A Japan         5        52 000        10 400

Now looking at those numbers does anyone really think Japan will influence how Western developers like E.A. and Ubisoft plan their games?  Seeing numbers like those and realizing that the Wii will likely be the dominant console in Japan is probably what's influencing companies like Capcom for example to focus on games that cater specifically to North American and European audiences rather than just bringing Japanese games to them.  Capcom even said at their Gamer's Day this year that they're seeing sales growth in North America and Europe and shrinking in Japan."

"Ok, now your making me think your blind."

Arg again I don't give a damn if Halo3 moved systems. This was not the point. But just as a hint I think Halo3 is still THE 360 system seller. Not many more people bought a 360 after Halo3 came out but I am pretty sure that far less 360 would have been sold before if the Halo franchise was not on the 360. People take it for granted.

And the higher Wii sales numbers in the christmas week have nothing to do with SMG but with supply constraints the week before ( and christmas)

Kyros said:
"I don't see how Halo3 having 6 million sales is grounds of proving a point. It's still 2 million behind Halo 2, and only marginaly passed over Halo 1"

And? It sold huge amounts and will likely pass its likewise hugely successful predecessors. People getting fed up with PS3/360 style games looks differently n'est pas? Not only sequels do well on PS3/360 but also new IP like Assassin's sells like hotcakes. And no a game not only becomes relevant after it sold 10 millions. 3 Games selling 3 million make a much more diverse game library.

"Look at the 10 million software lists and you'll see all Nintendo"

Again And? Nintendo is a great game developer. Not really news. Games like Mario, Zelda and Metroid are probably the most classic games available and their Wii installments are very similar to their Gamecube predecessors. I had the impression that you somehow argued that people are fed up with these classic games and will switch to specific Wii titles that focus heavily on motion control, easy party games etc. (Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Carnival Games). Compared to Super Smash Brothers HAlo3 is innovative and new .

And yes the Wii will have a successful year 2008. So will PS3 and 360. Next year GTA4, Gran Turismo, MGS4 and hundred other games will come out and if you think a Mario RPG will sell 10 million either you are crazy or customers are stupid. The italian plumber is barely bearable when there is no story at all like in SMG.

I'll put it to you another way ... There were approximately 170 Million consoles sold in the previous generation and (probably) at least 100 million distinct households with consoles in them; 10 Million units sold represents (at best) 10% of potential sales, and does not take away from the point that gamers in general are tired of these types of games.

Consider another market ...

I know a lot of people who don't go to the movies much anymore because they're so tired of the same type of movie that is being produced time and time again; Holywood's focus on big budget special effect based blockbusters has been overdone. If a movie like Batman 2 has great sales it doesn't change this fact, in particular if most other big budget movies see declining sales in comparison to what they recieved a few years ago.

*yawn* even in the red the PC Gaming market dwarfs the entire console market.

wait till it rises again, which will be soon. Starcraft 2 and Spore are upon us. =D

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453