By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I feel a MASSIVE change in the gaming industry

Well an obvious already happening change anyway, after seeing the Wii do 1.4 million+ last week, and the competition dragging behind, I have the feeling this spells doom for PS3 and 360, people are just starting to not care about these type of consoles anymore, people want Wii, it's everywhere I go, everyone talks about the Wii, everyone wants a Wii, the Wii is the cool thing to have, like the ipod.

The Wii has barely begun what it started, it's a revolution, Wiifit will only help, no-one is going to care about the other two consoles, it's all about Wii now, don't talk 'fad'! it's no fad, it's game over for PS360, Wii won and Wii also killed the industry and created a new one, where it is by itself with no competition, the PS3 has seen how many price cuts and model changes? and look at it getting crushed by the Wii in Japan last week, 360 got it's ass served on a silver platter within one year of Wii's existence.

PS3 and 360 are going no-where, sure they'll keep selling, bit by bit by it's loyal followers, but that's where it ends, don't expect this amazing turn-over for PS3 or 360 next year, they just had the best Christmas they'll ever get, if Wii wasn't so supply constrained the competition would of even sold less this Christmas and Wii would of sold more, don't argue that, that's just obvious.

Don't laugh now but John Lucas could very well be right, he predicted this change in the air a long time ago, the Wii advertises itself, I brought mine to a party once, and every single person that played wants it, it's a crowd pleaser, people just love it, the only people that hate it are the PS3/360 fanboys that can see what is happening to this industry, but unfortunately for them, no matter how much they whinge and diss the Wii, they only account for nothing in this industry and no-ones going to here their cries.

I keep reading; "Oh 08 is when the PS3 really takes off"

Funny cause last year I was hearing "07 is the real decider!"

I'll feel Deja Vu end of Christmas 08 when I read "09 is the real decider!"

Around the Network

So the PS360 are doomed because the Wii had an 1 million+ week? OK.

its really goingto show soon--your starting to see more people getting multiple machines--360/wii--or Ps3/wii---which is realy good for teh industry

"people are just starting to not care about these type of consoles anymore, people want Wii"

Don't get your fanboy juices flowing too much. Yes the Wii is very successful but the other two also sell nice numbers. A smaller slice of a bigger cake can still be bigger overall. (And in the end its all about games and the Wii is still an almost Nintendo only horse until this changes its a bit early to say "people don't care about them anymore")

Besides this week was likely a bit pumped up by the fact that last week people in the US couldn't get Wiis due to supply constraints.

Around the Network

@mesoteto AGREE !!!

Quality for Life

they're "doomed", to put if figuratively, because that's what the Wii had one week with its supply still limited. In otherwords, the demand for the Wii far exceeds that of the 360 and PS3 and it will become even more evident when the holiday season ends and the Wii shows us its legs above and beyond the 360 and PS3 once more.

This week was not important just because it increased the number of Wii's sold, but because it flexed the Wii's muscles for the whole gaming and developing world to see. The Wii made an example of the 360 and PS3 at the peak of the holiday season. With this one week Nintendo may have very well chased away the last bit doubt anyone had that the PS3 or 360 had a chance or that the Wii wasn't a force to be taken seriously.

No one is claiming the road will be a smooth one for the Wii's domination beyond this point, but it sure as hell makes for one nice trail marker on that path.

I don't think they are doomed just yet, in the long term I think it will be the case, but for right now I think they will continue to float.

MS has the money to piss away (they could choose to continue to piss it away or not, likely they will continue to do so)

Sony act's like it has the money to piss away (it does not and I think we may be suprised by what happens down the line if it doesn't turn a profit and the gaming division continues to bring down the rest of the company)

For the longer term however I think it's over - I see a snowball like effect, popularity beget's popularity, more and more want as more and more get it. Not only that but Nintendo has expanded the market in different directions - giving them new customers, getting them old customers, making their userbase so large compared to the others, which will end up resulting in more "gamer games" (as some would say) comming to the system, which will result in more sales.

Kyros said:
"people are just starting to not care about these type of consoles anymore, people want Wii"

Don't get your fanboy juices flowing too much. Yes the Wii is very successful but the other two also sell nice numbers. A smaller slice of a bigger cake can still be bigger overall. (And in the end its all about games and the Wii is still an almost Nintendo only horse until this changes its a bit early to say "people don't care about them anymore")

Besides this week was likely a bit pumped up by the fact that last week people in the US couldn't get Wiis due to supply constraints.

Oh they're flowing all right, they're flowing all over your face.

WHAT@AoAs LAST POST XD

Quality for Life