By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I feel a MASSIVE change in the gaming industry

Well 'Doomed' is a bit too colourful, dramatic, and inaccurate but it does have some truth to it ...

2008 is going to start with a bang for the Wii, and it will be in the 1.5 Million units sold per month range for all of Q1; the XBox 360 and PS3 will probably be in the 300,000 to 500,000 range during the same timeframe. Third party publishers are already in panic mode, and the continued success of the Wii will only further drive home the point that they bet too heavily on the wrong horses. Publishers like Capcom, Namco, Ubisoft, EA and Activision which have adequately supported the Wii in the past will start seeing far more success from their conventional and unconventional games they produce for the Wii because of experience and a greater focus on the platform.

The Amazing line-up that is always on the horizon for the PS3 and XBox 360 will continue to see delays and fail to meet expectations when the games are released; as time goes on there will just be less and less games to look forward to for these systems.

Around the Network

they are doomed

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!

bet with *no one yet* that the combined first week of Monster Hunter 3 in america and europe will be 600k or more! winner changes looser sig and avatar for two months!

At a rate of 9 million a year, the PS3 would sell 63,000,000 in 7 years. It will be cheaper and have more games next year.

Hush. Analyst dont think this will last, Nintendo doesn't think this will last (look at how many consoles they created). Only fanboys think it will.

The Wii does NOTHING the other consoles couldn't do if they wanted to. If this continues, what makes you think that they won't? LIKE I SAID BEFORE, Xbox360 is already developing a Wii-like controller. It would be stupid not to.

I wouldn't even say that the PS3 and Xbox 360 are underperforming. I think they are doing normal and are on pace to be successful. It's just that the Wii has had an explosive start. There will be great games on each system.

Wii is a joke to hardcore gamers, Im sorry I have to say it, nintendo completely dumped the GAMERS and just went straight casual.

I dont want them to win, they didnt even try making a console they just did motion controls and thats it. Same GC graphics same everything.

I left nintnedo because I was expecting an amazing REVOLUTION, no they made a wii.
Wii is a lie, try owning both a XBOX 360 and a wii tell me which is more "fun".

mM
Around the Network

@jan--that is some of the dumbest logic i have seen yet--"The Wii does NOTHING the other consoles couldn't do if they wanted to"--just like the 360 and the Ps3 dont do anythign the wii couldnt do if nintendo wanted --just cop out why dont ya

I think each of these systems has a decent life ahead of them. I also see all of them debuting their next gen systems at the same time. As soon as one of them starts leaking information about the new system, the other companies will follow suit.

@leo---i do own both....i vote Wii

mesoteto said:
@jan--that is some of the dumbest logic i have seen yet--"The Wii does NOTHING the other consoles couldn't do if they wanted to"--just like the 360 and the Ps3 dont do anythign the wii couldnt do if nintendo wanted --just cop out why dont ya

You dont make sense my friend.

Guys you dont understand, coming from a wiiS360 owner I dont think you understand. The wii is not a revolution, its not. Your just saying that because its the only console you own and your human instincts keep saying anything you buy is the best.

I dont want to be the one to say this but.. the wii isnt that great compared to the other consoles..

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

Scruff7 said:

[cut] 

Your analogy of the Wii and iPod is very good i feel. yes, they are both likely to dominate the market, and make their companies mountains of money. but, they are both partly built on hype. people wanted an iPod because it was cool, funky, looked good, did cools things, but it was not the best gadget on the market, there were many MP3 players that did far better jobs than the iPod did, but they were never going to hijack the iPod bus due to the demand that had been created for it in the mass market.

[cut] 

ALL of the consoles are built on hype. All commercial products are built on hype.

XBox 360's name itself is a product of hype. What does the 360 stand for? 360 degrees is a revolution. Full circle, right? The X's in the XBox name were designed to make it memeable so people would want to buy the system upon hearing the name. And it worked to a good extent. Microsoft was an outsider in 2001 but by 2005 they had people who would normally be in line for Playstation products saying the XBox name & wanting an XBox.

Some people generically use the word "XBox" for videogame systems & that is no coincidence. With the power of the name XBox then adding the symbology of 360 with it, they were getting buyers ready for high-end powerhouse blow you away type of gaming. A whole new XBox that you have NEVER seen before! That was the message. Halo 3 was hype & Bill Gates (and the XBox team) used that game lure people into buying the system. Mountain Dew even made a whole new flavor of drink for these guys!

Why do you think they used that tint of color green for the identity of the console. Wrestling's D-Generation X may come to mind with their Green & Black color schemes. DX ~ XBox? It also looks like the colors you see when you go to the club. Futuristic neon & all that jazz. The hip with it console that has power and XBox Live. And for the Americans it worked wonders which is why they have such a strength in the USA/North America compared to the other regions.

A not-publically espoused underlying message was that this was the first viable American console in decades. An industry began in America now has a system from that very land. The library on the console is strongly put together with Americans in mind.

PlayStation 3 on the other hand used E3 CGI videos for hype. Used its 12 year reputation & history for hype. Spoke of its special processor for hype. Hyped its price. Hyped its design. Hyped its media multifunctionality. Hyped its controls. This was the system that was gonna knock people on their ass due to its immense power. From that Sony clip at E3 2006 "I heard that the graphics on it was CRAZY" People were looking for this system to be the Death Star of videogaming sure to blow away all the competition. And I suggest that some people still hold on to this belief as we speak. Hype once again.

Does the Wii have hype? Damn right it does. And it better made sure it had because you have to sell the product. Nintendo hyped family interaction. Nintendo hyped new audiences. Nintendo hyped breaking barriers. Nintendo hyped true revolutionary control. Nintendo hyped lower pricing. Nintendo hyped changing the way games were made and approached for design.

That's what a business is SUPPOSED to do. Hype its products. If it doesn't, then who will? But hype without substance will fail eventually. There has to be something real under the hype or you'll just be skating by on luck if people buy into the hype. They may one day break out of the spell. With substance the hype is realized and new hype is made by the people who use it themselves. This is what the Wii & DS have experienced since being launched onto the market.

Nintendo's hype was successful & their product had substance. Now it will feed unto itself. They were successful. Sony hyped Emotion Engine, Toy Story graphics & built-in DVD players & it worked. People bought into it and they found some substance behind the message. For them the product lived up to the hype. You can't player hate. They succeeded and the fact that PS2 is still selling this strongly this far into the 7th gen says something. I personally didn't like the manufacturing errors of the PS2 but that didn't bother most people obviously so I can't player hate that their hype succeeded.

Right now Nintendo's hype is succeeding and people are just going to have to get used to it. The old ways are fading and a new path is emerging. What worked in the past 10 years is not working now. I would personally argue that Nintendo's claims are truer to the hype than others which is why the success is the way it is. People ARE losing weight playing videogames this way & people ARE using the Wii as a tool for family togetherness just like they advertised. Playing IS Believing just like they said.

The messages are coming true so I say the protests to these turns of events will only cause grief. Enjoy what you enjoy and buy that. Everyone with cash has a vote. If you don't like what Nintendo's offering then buy Sony's proposal or Microsoft's proposal or even the PC's proposal. There are proposals from mobile phones and other portable devices as well. Or simply opt out altogether. But the change ArtofAngels witnessed in this thread is real.

Nintendo will better try to reach demand and 60 million will be a reality as a result. 60 million at end of 2008 is STILL not near the top of the demand but it will be the number Nintendo reaches as they finally get these production kinks worked out. Too much opportunity to miss out on. 2007 is both a blessing and a harsh lesson for them. They realize just what they have on their hands now and will not repeat the mistakes of 2007 in 2008.

If you thought it was bad before, then you may want to avert your eyes in 2008. In the aftermath, this board will be seeing some serious bannings (temp & permanent) because people take these turns of events too seriously and to heart getting all overemotional in argument. Moderators be ready 'cause it's about to get bad next year with the new influx of members coming to brag & boast about Nintendo's success and coming to vehemently oppose it. I just hope the generally civil atmosphere we see here can be maintained for next year.

Nintendo in 2008 will really get people riled up one way or another.

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!