By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Franchises that will survive and die by next gen

Stefan.De.Machtige said:

Your list seems logical enough.

I'm not to sure of God of War continuing. It's story driven IP and that story is pretty much done.

Alot of evidence points to there being a new one which really bothers me because I hope it's not coming just because it's commercially viable. 3 felt like a pretty awesome end to the franchise. I'm sure some would disagree though.

Around the Network

survive

uncharted-sonys second biggest franchise. Uncharted 4 is a no brainer for either ps3 or ps4.  there will be a uncharted game for ps4. But i do think ND will also work on a new ip.

god of war-whether kratos is in it or not there will more than likely be a second GOW trilogy, perhaps featuring a different protagonist in a different mythos. 

Gran Turismo-duh

LBP-there will DEFINITLY be a lbp3 on ps4(if not ps3) and it will launch in holiday season, they have learned there lesson with lbp2(which i might add will still probably reach 3 million with bundling and holiday sales). SOny is trying for a mario level mascot here.

On the bubble-depends on sales, new ip success, other factors

infamous-lets be honest here this game costs a pretty penny to produce: open world, great presentation. unless infamous 2 sells 2 million before a price reduction(and then continues to sell) I dont see this series continueing to ps4 with the no doubt enlarged development costs. a third on the ps3 is possible with decent sales.

twisted metal-twisted metal ps3 = a hit, then twisted metal will be on ps4. that simple. If not new ip.

resistance/ratchet--unless the new games in these franchises are total cash cows(3 million for r3 and 1.5-2.0 for r and c.) I think insomniac will focus on their new multiplatform ip next generation. depends on the success of that new ip.

killzone-killzone 3 is doing well and its looking like it will pass KZ2.  But i think a new ip as a launch title for the ps4 is what they are working on right now and depedning on the success of that title we may never see another killzone.

Nope, not coming back

SOCOM-its done, new ip coming. if thats ip fails say goodbye to zipper.

motosrstorm-new ip will be developed. game is a commercial failure.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
CGI-Quality said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

Your list seems logical enough.

I'm not to sure of God of War continuing. It's story driven IP and that story is pretty much done.

I wouldn't say it's done. Listening to recent chatter, the next title's already in the works (and will continue on without Kratos).

How can it go on when Kratos basically is God of War. He is/was the main character. If they do that, they might just make an new IP.

as cgi already pointed out it is not uncommon for a franchise to go on without its "main character", but in addition to that we still can't be sure that kratos is dead.... he was "killed" several times in the other games and furthermore at the end of god of war 3 in the final scene the cliff where he supposedly died was empty with a blood stain trail showing that he had moved away from the spot that he was stabbed on

9087 said:

LittleBigPlanet - One hit wonder. The sequel was an utter failure and their isnt much room to grow. MediaMolecule is a young developer and will move on to something new.

Motorstorm - the latest one is a mega sales bust. 2 barely reached a million, and the first one only looks like it has good sales because it was bundled for so long.

Killzone - maybe just wishful thinking on my part, but Guerilla is capable of so much more. With FPS being over saturated and KZ sales peaking at only 2.5million-ish, I think its time to move on. They already stated they are developing a new IP. Hopefully a TPS instead of FPS this time around. KZ universe and story is just so uninspired and bland. They need to leave it in the past and start something new. They certainly have the engine for it.

Was LBP2 considered a failure? I haven't played the 2nd yet but it looked like it added so much more without changing the game up too much.

Motorstorm:  gotta agree with this, which is disappointing. I still have the PR demo on my ps3 and the game is pretty damn fun sometimes. I love the fast paced racing. Not sure why I never got it, aside from hearing a few bad'ish things about it.

Killzone:  I wouldn't say it's as dead as Motorstorm but, the franchise is really starting to sink. KZ2 gathered ridiculously strong hype, sold decently, but from what I was seeing, the userbase started dying out pretty fast - the controls really pushed tons of people away. The game eventually got a following of hardcore fans, but then GG dun went and pissed them off with some changes and updates. Then KZ3 came around and GG went on further pissing off the few fans they did have. My faith in GG really died down after KZ2 - to me, they always came off as a group of devs that focused more on visuals rather than gameplay.

http://soundcloud.com/cathode

PSN: Parasitic_Link

CGI-Quality said:
Parasitic said:
9087 said:

LittleBigPlanet - One hit wonder. The sequel was an utter failure and their isnt much room to grow. MediaMolecule is a young developer and will move on to something new.

Motorstorm - the latest one is a mega sales bust. 2 barely reached a million, and the first one only looks like it has good sales because it was bundled for so long.

Killzone - maybe just wishful thinking on my part, but Guerilla is capable of so much more. With FPS being over saturated and KZ sales peaking at only 2.5million-ish, I think its time to move on. They already stated they are developing a new IP. Hopefully a TPS instead of FPS this time around. KZ universe and story is just so uninspired and bland. They need to leave it in the past and start something new. They certainly have the engine for it.

Was LBP2 considered a failure? I haven't played the 2nd yet but it looked like it added so much more without changing the game up too much.

Motorstorm:  gotta agree with this, which is disappointing. I still have the PR demo on my ps3 and the game is pretty damn fun sometimes. I love the fast paced racing. Not sure why I never got it, aside from hearing a few bad'ish things about it.

Killzone:  I wouldn't say it's as dead as Motorstorm but, the franchise is really starting to sink. KZ2 gathered ridiculously strong hype, sold decently, but from what I was seeing, the userbase started dying out pretty fast - the controls really pushed tons of people away. The game eventually got a following of hardcore fans, but then GG dun went and pissed them off with some changes and updates. Then KZ3 came around and GG went on further pissing off the few fans they did have. My faith in GG really died down after KZ2 - to me, they always came off as a group of devs that focused more on visuals rather than gameplay.

But LBP2 and KZ3 were considered incredible improvements (Killzone 3 more so). Looking at it's legs, I'd say it's beginning to gather a decent fanbase (it's selling better than Killzone 2 in the same time frame).

Except it wasn't.

"Defeating a sandwich, only makes it tastier." - Virginia

Around the Network
GuiltySpartan77 said:
CGI-Quality said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Wow if selling that much can make you call LBP2 an utter failure many devs would hope for their games to be "utter failures"

Of all SONY new franchises this gen, I pray LBP does not go.

Indeed, far from a failure, especially considering it's not done selling and like LBP1, should have some kind of holiday bundles and what not. I don't think there's been a price drop on it either.

Thats kind of the point if you have to bundle a game just to make the sells look decent then the game can't be called successful on the other hand it did manage 1 million in sales but still that is kind of low for a franchise looking to be called a sucess even if it is a good game you need sales for the series to continue. 

The issue is that LBP1 did not obtain it's 4mil Sales in a 6 month perioid either, and had constant bundles, better marketing, several holiday's and of course, a re-release right around the same time the Slim came out.   Tell me, how many re-releases, price cuts, and holiday season did it take for LBP2 to reach 1mil in sales?  (Answer: 0)

LBP got to where it is now by virtue of continous weekly sales, expect the same to happen with LBP2. 

Check us out at the Vindication Gamer Network on Youtube. 

CGI-Quality said:
Chroniczaaa said:
CGI-Quality said:

But LBP2 and KZ3 were considered incredible improvements (Killzone 3 more so). Looking at it's legs, I'd say it's beginning to gather a decent fanbase (it's selling better than Killzone 2 in the same time frame).

Except it wasn't.

Well that's fine if you don't think so, but the improvements to the game play were apparent to many (which is surely one of the reasons it's showing better legs than it's predecessor).

Actually, the original fanbase of Killzone 2 was split roughly 50/50 on Kilzone 3 being an  improvement.  But considering the size of that fanbase, I don't blame GG for making K3 more "accessible".  As far as sales go, that, IMO, is based more on:

-Sequel to established IP

-Much stronger platform install base. 

Nothing to do with Killzone 3 being a noticeably better game.

Check us out at the Vindication Gamer Network on Youtube. 

God of Wars coming to end I dunno how much more they can stretch the story after III.

I liked MAG. :( It was flawed but I enjoyed it. I hope a sequel is made sometime.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

For me, I think the following franchises will die out:

Medival: Only a PSP remake this generation, and no release on PS2, so dead certain to die IMO

Motorstorm: Sales are collapsing

Modnation Racers: I don't think sales gustify releasing a successor, but if they decide to make a second game, I don't expect it to set the world on fire

Pursuit Force: I don't think the series has the quality to continue

Siren: Only a PSN release this generation, which was great, but lack of releases makes me think its at the end of the road

Sython Filter: No PS3 release yet and only PSP titles so far, with the last release in 2007

SOCOM: needs a break, and a new developer

I'm not totally sure on the next few franchises:

Patapon and LocoRoco, too many releases and poor sales

Ratchet and Clank: I think with the continuingly diminishing sales, Sony may stop releases titles for it once Insomniac pulls out

Sly Cooper: Only a PS3 HD remake this generation, and a teaser at Sly 4, which could hit any platform at any time, I'm not totally sure

Jak And Daxter: Had the amazing Daxter earlier this generation and the decent Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier, so there could be a future for the series, I'll wait and see if Sony continues to develop this

Resistance: Very story focused, the universe is destroying humanity too quickly IMO and the story itself will end with the third, with only other titles left to fill in gaps in the series and add extras (but this worked brillantly for Resistance Retribution, and R:R, R1 and R2 all enjoyed good sales)

God Of War: Great series with amazing sales, but its mostly story driven, were can it go from here?