By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Franchises that will survive and die by next gen

Motorstorm could live on NGP. Apocalypse wouldn't have been a big flop if the date wasn't pushed back. All my friends at school who dig that kind of game (and want Apocalypse) didn't even know it was out. Even me, a huge Sony fan, didn't know it was out until I was perusing my local Gamestop.

Around the Network

LittleBigPlanet: I don't see LittleBigPlanet carrying on next gen unless they totally revamp the game mechanichs. LBP2 pushed "Play Create Share" to the limit. Unless they make a better story, it may be the end of LBP

MotorStorm- This is one game that will die by next gen. The gameplay hasn't changed much, and reviews haven't gotten any better. There may be one game on the PS4, but it won't be Sony's main focus any more.

Resistance, inFamous, and Uncharted will all stick around next gen.

Not sure about GOW and Killzone

badgenome said:

Sounds about right. But I think Killzone will stick around, and I would only add:

Wise fwom your gwave

Wild Arms - They will make a new one for NGP. I have to believe that!

Welcome to your doom!

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

I don't think killzone will be going away and I definitely don't think LBP will be going away; that's Sony's flagship play/create/and share genre title right there

Fab_GS said:
9087 said:

I'm saying in general, platformers (and all kiddy games *ahem ModNationRacers*) should be released right before the Holidays.

Kiddy games?

I guess anything doesn't have Mortal Kombat level gore and violence is considered Kiddie by some.

Around the Network
9087 said:

Syphon Filter, Jak and Daxter, Getaway, and a few others. The weird thing is that they all did fairly well in the sales department, yet Sony (or their devs) decided to go in new directions.

Survivors........

Uncharted -

InFamous -

Gran Turismo -

Twisted Metal -

God of War 

WarHawk/StarHawk 

MLB The Show

Socom

Say Goodbye to........

LittleBigPlanet

Motorstorm

Killzone

MAG

Resistance and Ratchet & Clank

I disagree with a lot of the OP.  Jax and Daxter sold 3.81 million copies across 2 games on a console userbase of 150 million.  (Around 3x the current PS3 userbase).  Not bad, but certainly not end all be all.   Syphon Filter as much as I loved it on PS1 sold a total of 0.17 million on PS2 (Is that even correct?) That's astonishingly horrible.    Now I know, that console userbase isn't the end all be all in determining sales, but it still counts.  

It seems odd you say these games sold pretty well, but LBP2 was a total failure?   LBP1 has so much value packed into it, that quite honestly it interferes with LBP2s sales.  It's one of the few sequels where the first game is almost as viable to play as the 2nd one.   LBP2 still hasn't reached one holiday yet, I mean that's a lot of sales for a game like that.   I still have firm belief that LBP2 will easily surpass 3 million when it's all said and done.

Uncharted will stick around next-generation as it fits perfectly in a story-driven environment.  It won't have 100 sequels in my opinion though.  2 at the most next generation.  I see Naughty Dog making a new IP next gen,  but they will also bring Uncharted to the table. (Especially if U3 is a success). 

However, I really could see this being a darkhorse for not appearing next generation.  Naughty Dog could surprise a lot of people and abandon the series (Atleast for the PS4) generation or until the pressure becomes great for a sequel.   Think about it, it's had (3) releases in the same generation.  Not many games do that with the intention of continuing into the following generation.

Infamous is on the short track to fill God of Wars shoes.  It likely will only have two releases this generation, with the 2nd one being a major step up from the first by all accounts.  This I believe will be a hotly anticipated and desired title on PS4.

Gran Turismo will be around until PS isn't relevant or they don't want to make them anymore.  You have to look at this in terms of marketing too.  Gran Turismo almost guarantees a European love affair for Playstation, they won't abandon that.

Twisted Metal will all depend on this games success or direction.  I would say you can definitely see a sequel to this game or future continued (Even Downloadable titles) if it sells 1.5 - 2 million copies.

God of War Again we have an issue of marketing. God of War is a console mover for the American market.  It will continue to be around  most likely in the forms of prequels.  Although, depending on this generations length I still imagine we will see a few more uses of the GOW3 Engine.   This could determine the ultimate fate of the series on PS4.

Socom I see the series taking a break next generation.  It just doesn't seem to have the luster it did in the PS2 era. 

MLB The Show will definitely stick around, it's the best baseball game on the market and always highly regarded.

Warhawk/Starhawk as excited as I am for this title,  I don't see it fairing well (Starhawk).  I just think some of the new ideas will not pan out so well in a online environment.  Warhawk may make an appearance as a more minor title next generation as the original did manage almost a million copies or more on essentially a MP only game.    Who knows though, I'm still super excited for Starhawk as the PS3 has come a Lonnnng way since Warhawk released.

Little Big Planet  will certainly stick around.  Sony in my opinion is trying to fill all genres of games.  Little Big Planet is too marketable and too vital to give up on.  Plus, with new hardware I can't believe people don't realize all of the potential games like this have. 

Motorstorm is a goner. The original wasn't that good and subsequent sequels have been merely okay.   I think we will see something similar to fill the void but that franchise is a one hit wonder.

Killzone will be taking a break atleast until mid PS4 generation (Comparable to Uncharted in my eyes) .  Sony will allow them to pursue other avenues but if there is a strong cry for Killzone 4, I certainly see them doing so.

Mag / Resistance / Ratchet and Clank - Will all be done in my eyes.  I see Insomniac going third party next generation and releasing a new IP. 

Mag most certainly will be gone,  as it's the most generic named game ever.  It was more of a trial run in my opinion versus a full-fledged title.  I don't think it was AS bad as you say.  It just doesn't have that charm aspect that long-term titles do.

The whole variable in this process is the strength of the next console, next generation.   We saw a weak America console ownership for the PS3, this generation.  So we witnessed a lot of new IPs being geared more for American-centric titles ( Resistance,MAG, Infamous, Uncharted) and big budget continuations of existing IPs (God of War 3, Killzone,etc). If the PS4 is strong in America, you will see a continuation of those trends but look for where the PS4 is weakest market-wise and the genres popular in those regions for where you can expect new IPs to arrive.

The other variable, is the fact that Sony is pretty liberal with their developers in terms of doing games and titles they want to do.  Certain franchises (Uncharted, God of War, Killzone, Resistance) have been on the warpath making these types of games for many years.  Some of these developers will want to go a different direction, seeking out some form of excitement.).   Money talks however, so look for the most popular franchises to stick around for atleast one  release of a cash-in system sellers.

gekkokamen said:

LittleBigPlanet will survive, and so will ModNation Racers. The latter will definitely continue.

Ratchet & Clank will continue, of course, even if developed by somebody other than Insomniac.

NOW, SOME OTHER FRANCHISES YOU DIDN'T LIST :

Valkyria Chronicles will continue. I like to believe that.

Demon's Souls will eventually get a sequel, probably this gen, but hopefully it'll do well enough to earn a pass for the PS4.

Yakuza. Well, it's Sega and it sells in Japan at least.

Demon's Souls got a sequel, it's called Dark Souls, and the reason it's multiplat is Sony was no longer interested in continuing the Demon's Souls franchise... so yeah. Also Yakuza and Valkyria Chronicles aren't Sony franchises. They are 3rd party franchises which have, to this point, been on Sony platforms. That's something you could have said about Monster Hunter pre-MHTri, but now it's on everything.

On topic:
ModNation is done.
LBP is probably done.
Motorstorm is definitely done.
Killzone is iffy, but I expect it to survive another couple iterations.
Resistance is done.
R&C may not be done, but the good R&C games probably are.
SOCOM is done. Poor reviews and poorer sales. 
ICO series is done. No one wants to hear it, but they've never made money, and now they're rounding out a 6 year HD development cycle for The Last Guardian, which will cost Sony a fortune. Not coming back.
God of War is slightly iffy. It's a money maker though, so Sony will probably find some excuse to reboot the series, perhaps with a new hero in a new era. 

naznatips said:
gekkokamen said:

LittleBigPlanet will survive, and so will ModNation Racers. The latter will definitely continue.

Ratchet & Clank will continue, of course, even if developed by somebody other than Insomniac.

NOW, SOME OTHER FRANCHISES YOU DIDN'T LIST :

Valkyria Chronicles will continue. I like to believe that.

Demon's Souls will eventually get a sequel, probably this gen, but hopefully it'll do well enough to earn a pass for the PS4.

Yakuza. Well, it's Sega and it sells in Japan at least.

Demon's Souls got a sequel, it's called Dark Souls, and the reason it's multiplat is Sony was no longer interested in continuing the Demon's Souls franchise... so yeah. Also Yakuza and Valkyria Chronicles aren't Sony franchises. They are 3rd party franchises which have, to this point, been on Sony platforms. That's something you could have said about Monster Hunter pre-MHTri, but now it's on everything.

On topic:
ModNation is done.
LBP is probably done.
Motorstorm is definitely done.
Killzone is iffy, but I expect it to survive another couple iterations.
Resistance is done.
R&C may not be done, but the good R&C games probably are.
SOCOM is done. Poor reviews and poorer sales. 
ICO series is done. No one wants to hear it, but they've never made money, and now they're rounding out a 6 year HD development cycle for The Last Guardian, which will cost Sony a fortune. Not coming back.
God of War is slightly iffy. It's a money maker though, so Sony will probably find some excuse to reboot the series, perhaps with a new hero in a new era. 

Dark Souls is not the sequel to Demon's Souls, and it was already talked about to death. Sony executives also said a sequel to Demon's Souls could be possible, so it seems they have some kind of ownership there or something.

Ico series? LOL. Those games are very different from each other and they are not part of what it's called "a franchise", so TEAM ICO games don't belong to this conversation. It would be like saying Team Ico won't be making any more games, which is completely ridiculous.

Why would be ModNation done or LittleBigPlanet for that matter?  You are only thinking in terms of the current gen. As far as I know this conversation considered the future iterations of those franchises on future systems?  What if PS4 dominates the market or has a lot stronger support and installed-base than the PS3 did? What if it captures a strong casual fanbase? wouldn't games like LBP and MNR be non-brainers to get a sequel then? How about NGP (aka PSP2)? what if it's a hit and sequels to LBP and MNR could be very succesful there? Open your mind a little bit. We're are not talking about failures here, any game able to sell over 1.5 million units deserves at least the benefit of the doubt, specially if it's a Sony exclusive. Some franchises sometimes hit a low point and then are resurrected. Twisted Metal for example, it started strong then it got several uninspired sequels and well, it was put aside, but look at it now trying to make a comeback. That could happen to a game like Socom or MAG maybe? I don't see why not.

LBP, KZ and resistance is done? really? because of sales? say bye bye to Mass effect,alan wake,splinter cell then?

no seriously why would they stop making it because it only sells a million or more? LOL

The only ones I'd be disappointed to see go out of those that could possibly go are LBP and Uncharted. I'd wait and see what inFamous 2 is like before deciding to add it to that list.

I'd like to see more done with Heavy Rain, but I don't expect a direct sequel.

I could not care less about everything else.

VGChartz