By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Franchises that will survive and die by next gen

9087 said:

I'm saying in general, platformers (and all kiddy games *ahem ModNationRacers*) should be released right before the Holidays.

Kiddy games?

Around the Network

franchises that should continue

franchises that i'm okay with dumping in favor of new IPs

everything else.

not that i don't love demon souls, uncharted, infamous, killzone, little big planet, gran turismo, god of war, heavy rain, ratchet and clank, twisted metal(?), starhawk(?), mod nation racers, and whatever else is a sony property.  it's just that when you make a sequel you are "bounded" by certain formulas that are the cornerstone of that franchise.  when you introduce a new IP customers are much more welcoming of new ideas which is a good thing to me. 

i mean really, look back at all of the new IPs sony came up with this gen and marvel at how much better they are than the franchises that previously existed.  i have faith in sony to come up with even better ideas next gen than my favorites from this gen.

I agree with what others have said mostly and I also agree that we will see KZ next gen

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Wow if selling that much can make you call LBP2 an utter failure many devs would hope for their games to be "utter failures"

Of all SONY new franchises this gen, I pray LBP does not go.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

CGI-Quality said:

I disagree heavily with a lot of that OP, but what really makes me cringe is calling LBP2 a failure - far from it.

The only franhcises I can see canned are Motorstorm & MAG. SOCOM will be around (though I'd agree if you said it's going to take some serious re-working to get it back up to previous SOCOM standards), Killzone will definitely stick around, LBP won't be going anywhere, and Resistance/Ratchet will be around too (btw, Ratchet hasn't been around since the PS1 & there won't be a HEAVY RAIN sequel [it's not even a Sony IP] - OP needs adjusting).

In conclusion, most of Sony's new & existing IPs in the OP will probably be sticking around, nevermind the IPs you didn't mention.

OP does not need adjusting. I never mentioned Heavy Rain nor did I claim Ratchet was on PS1.

You mustve confused my post with someone elses.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Wow if selling that much can make you call LBP2 an utter failure many devs would hope for their games to be "utter failures"

Indeed, far from a failure, especially considering it's not done selling and like LBP1, should have some kind of holidays bundles and what not. I don't think there's been a price drop on it yet, either.

Most people expected it to sell way more, and missing out on a Holiday release cost it a ton of sales.

It doesnt even have good legs like the first game. Sony also had a pretty big advertising campaign behind LBP2.

It's not a huge failure, but considering it's the sequel to a game that sold 4 million copies, it is definitely disappointing.

Your list seems logical enough.

I'm not to sure of God of War continuing. It's story driven IP and that story is pretty much done.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

CGI-Quality said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Indeed, far from a failure, especially considering it's not done selling and like LBP1, should have some kind of holiday bundles and what not. I don't think there's been a price drop on it either.

Thats kind of the point if you have to bundle a game just to make the sells look decent then the game can't be called successful on the other hand it did manage 1 million in sales but still that is kind of low for a franchise looking to be called a sucess even if it is a good game you need sales for the series to continue. 

CGI-Quality said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

Your list seems logical enough.

I'm not to sure of God of War continuing. It's story driven IP and that story is pretty much done.

I wouldn't say it's done. Listening to recent chatter, the next title's already in the works (and will continue on without Kratos).

How can it go on when Kratos basically is God of War. He is/was the main character. If they do that, they might just make an new IP.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

i think you can count the titles that die next gen on one hand!

Naughty Dog will definatly make a new IP next gen...but before or after that we will see a Uncharted PS4!

I hope we see another MGS & FF PS4 exclusive!