By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Franchises that will survive and die by next gen

Naughty Dog will hand the regins over after Uncharted, An work on something new SONY will demand that because then they can offload Uncharted to another developer, juice the remaining of that franchise and build an new PS4 icon and killer app. 

infamous: i dont see after this one what more they can do with it when it starts to repeat it self. 

MAG: Has potiental, needs new Console and more power and better design choices. 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

Around the Network
gekkokamen said:
naznatips said:
gekkokamen said:

LittleBigPlanet will survive, and so will ModNation Racers. The latter will definitely continue.

Ratchet & Clank will continue, of course, even if developed by somebody other than Insomniac.

NOW, SOME OTHER FRANCHISES YOU DIDN'T LIST :

Valkyria Chronicles will continue. I like to believe that.

Demon's Souls will eventually get a sequel, probably this gen, but hopefully it'll do well enough to earn a pass for the PS4.

Yakuza. Well, it's Sega and it sells in Japan at least.

Demon's Souls got a sequel, it's called Dark Souls, and the reason it's multiplat is Sony was no longer interested in continuing the Demon's Souls franchise... so yeah. Also Yakuza and Valkyria Chronicles aren't Sony franchises. They are 3rd party franchises which have, to this point, been on Sony platforms. That's something you could have said about Monster Hunter pre-MHTri, but now it's on everything.

On topic:
ModNation is done.
LBP is probably done.
Motorstorm is definitely done.
Killzone is iffy, but I expect it to survive another couple iterations.
Resistance is done.
R&C may not be done, but the good R&C games probably are.
SOCOM is done. Poor reviews and poorer sales. 
ICO series is done. No one wants to hear it, but they've never made money, and now they're rounding out a 6 year HD development cycle for The Last Guardian, which will cost Sony a fortune. Not coming back.
God of War is slightly iffy. It's a money maker though, so Sony will probably find some excuse to reboot the series, perhaps with a new hero in a new era. 

Dark Souls is not the sequel to Demon's Souls, and it was already talked about to death. Sony executives also said a sequel to Demon's Souls could be possible, so it seems they have some kind of ownership there or something.

Ico series? LOL. Those games are very different from each other and they are not part of what it's called "a franchise", so TEAM ICO games don't belong to this conversation. It would be like saying Team Ico won't be making any more games, which is completely ridiculous.

Why would be ModNation done or LittleBigPlanet for that matter?  You are only thinking in terms of the current gen. As far as I know this conversation considered the future iterations of those franchises on future systems?  What if PS4 dominates the market or has a lot stronger support and installed-base than the PS3 did? What if it captures a strong casual fanbase? wouldn't games like LBP and MNR be non-brainers to get a sequel then? How about NGP (aka PSP2)? what if it's a hit and sequels to LBP and MNR could be very succesful there? Open your mind a little bit. We're are not talking about failures here, any game able to sell over 1.5 million units deserves at least the benefit of the doubt, specially if it's a Sony exclusive. Some franchises sometimes hit a low point and then are resurrected. Twisted Metal for example, it started strong then it got several uninspired sequels and well, it was put aside, but look at it now trying to make a comeback. That could happen to a game like Socom or MAG maybe? I don't see why not.

Dark Souls is the sequel to Demon's Souls in every way that matters, just not in "official name." It's possible Sony may come back to the franchise some day, but regardless, From Software is keeping the series going without them. 

ModNation is done cause the sales are horrible. LBP you may be right. By the time a new PS3 comes around they could have new ideas for it on a new system. ModNation didn't sell anywhere near 1.5 million. It didn't even break 1 million. 

Can't believe we havn't seen a Syphon Filter yet ....

Anyway, I see all except Motorstorm and Resistance returning.

naznatips said:
gekkokamen said:
naznatips said:
gekkokamen said:

LittleBigPlanet will survive, and so will ModNation Racers. The latter will definitely continue.

Ratchet & Clank will continue, of course, even if developed by somebody other than Insomniac.

Demon's Souls will eventually get a sequel, probably this gen, but hopefully it'll do well enough to earn a pass for the PS4.

Demon's Souls got a sequel, it's called Dark Souls, and the reason it's multiplat is Sony was no longer interested in continuing the Demon's Souls franchise... so yeah. Also Yakuza and Valkyria Chronicles aren't Sony franchises. They are 3rd party franchises which have, to this point, been on Sony platforms. That's something you could have said about Monster Hunter pre-MHTri, but now it's on everything.

On topic:
ModNation is done.
LBP is probably done.
Resistance is done.
ICO series is done. No one wants to hear it, but they've never made money, and now they're rounding out a 6 year HD development cycle for The Last Guardian, which will cost Sony a fortune. Not coming back.
God of War is slightly iffy. It's a money maker though, so Sony will probably find some excuse to reboot the series, perhaps with a new hero in a new era. 

Dark Souls is not the sequel to Demon's Souls, and it was already talked about to death. Sony executives also said a sequel to Demon's Souls could be possible, so it seems they have some kind of ownership there or something.

Ico series? LOL. Those games are very different from each other and they are not part of what it's called "a franchise", so TEAM ICO games don't belong to this conversation. It would be like saying Team Ico won't be making any more games, which is completely ridiculous.

Why would be ModNation done or LittleBigPlanet for that matter?  You are only thinking in terms of the current gen. As far as I know this conversation considered the future iterations of those franchises on future systems?  What if PS4 dominates the market or has a lot stronger support and installed-base than the PS3 did? What if it captures a strong casual fanbase? wouldn't games like LBP and MNR be non-brainers to get a sequel then? How about NGP (aka PSP2)? what if it's a hit and sequels to LBP and MNR could be very succesful there? Open your mind a little bit. We're are not talking about failures here, any game able to sell over 1.5 million units deserves at least the benefit of the doubt, specially if it's a Sony exclusive. Some franchises sometimes hit a low point and then are resurrected. Twisted Metal for example, it started strong then it got several uninspired sequels and well, it was put aside, but look at it now trying to make a comeback. That could happen to a game like Socom or MAG maybe? I don't see why not.

Dark Souls is the sequel to Demon's Souls in every way that matters, just not in "official name." It's possible Sony may come back to the franchise some day, but regardless, From Software is keeping the series going without them. 

ModNation is done cause the sales are horrible. LBP you may be right. By the time a new PS3 comes around they could have new ideas for it on a new system. ModNation didn't sell anywhere near 1.5 million. It didn't even break 1 million. 

WHA? its sitting 0.83m sold they probly shipped a million.... anyways thats not the point Mod nation might return or might not and its not because it only sold a mil heck alan wake is getting a sequel and that game struggled sales wise and its definitly higher budget game than mod nation was.

Survivors:

- Uncharted
- Gran Turismo
- LittleBigPlanet

Maybe:

- Sports Champions
- Infamous
- Rachet & Clank

Gone:

- Killzone
- Resistance
- God of War

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Around the Network

Did Sony not already say that Syphon Filter PS3 is in the works?

XxXProphecyXxX said:
naznatips said:
gekkokamen said:
naznatips said:
gekkokamen said:

On topic:
ModNation is done.
LBP is probably done.
Resistance is done.

WHA? its sitting 0.83m sold they probly shipped a million.... anyways thats not the point Mod nation might return or might not and its not because it only sold a mil heck alan wake is getting a sequel and that game struggled sales wise and its definitly higher budget game than mod nation was.

i have to agree with this alan wake was out for a longer, had a bigger budget and was in developement for 5 years yet it only managed to reach 1 mil in sales recently... yet they are looking into expanding upon that game... why can't the same happen for modnation or any of the other games that sold poorly?