By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Worried People Aren’t Buying 3DS’ Magic

Nintendo's glasses-free 3DS portable gaming system isn't selling as well as the company expected because people don't understand how great the gadget is or how to properly use it, the president of the company theorizes.

Addressing a gathering of analysts in Tokyo this week, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata seemed to place most of the blame for the lackluster sales of the 3DS on people not understanding the magic of the system.

"Nintendo 3DS has not been selling as expected since the second week, and this is not just in the Japanese market but also in the United States and Europe, where no direct impact from the great earthquake has occurred," he said.

The solution, it seems, is helping people understand the "value" of 3D images seen without the need of special glasses and making sure they know how to use the system correctly. Iwata said providing content in which to experience the 3D images is also a plus.

And it's not just the 3D that people are missing out on, Iwata says. 3DS gamers also don't seem to get StreetPass, SpotPass, Augmented Reality gaming and Mii Maker, he said.

"It is now clear that the combination of these new features is not necessarily easy-to-understand by just saying one word to those without experience," he said. "There seems to be more than a few consumers who have Nintendo 3DS hardware but don't know about this software and possibly haven't had a chance to get interested in it.

"After all, pre-installing a feature which we would like many people to enjoy is not sufficient to make it actually popular among users."

While Iwata says the company needs to push gamers to use and understand all of these new features, he also said that the company needs to be prepared for the roll out of network services to the 3DS in May.

The best way to make sure that gamers go online and check out the eShop is to give something away, he said. So Nintendo plans to give away a free download of Excitebike as one of the "3D Classics" series for a limited time. This, he hopes, will kick start the use of the eShop once it goes live.

"There is," Iwata points out, "no easy road to making people understand the attraction of glassless 3D images and making Nintendo 3DS widespread."

Source

Wonder if this is an issue of lost in translation or out of context in some way....

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network

They should be, because now they are stuck with it for 5 years and no one really cares about 3D.

Above: still the best game of the year.

I guess people aren't buying into the handheld 3D thing even if it's glassless, cause of its size. I wouldn't mind 3D if the screen is a bit bigger. I would really get a 3DTV if not for its damn price tag...But I have to try 3DS in person first to actually have a better judgment.

did Nintendo ever think it was to early for a new handheld let alone a 3d one?

no they didn't and thats the problem, and maybe they'll hold off on Wii2 although i highly doubt it!

Nintnedo released the 3DS to early and without truley showing or advertising the tech. they just put it out there and expected consumers to just get it?

reminds me of a over powered HD console with Bluray and a bunch of other hightech crapp that many don't understand till this very day.

3DS doomed? i doubt it but another lesson learned from the one manufacture whooo's been through it all once before.

i still plan to get one yet i need to no more ect.

The 3D is neat, thats it.

Bring the games and people will bring their wallets.

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

Around the Network

Personally I believe it's a lack of must have games, and especially, the price.

I love the 3DS but I really wish it were cheaper.  If it retailed for $199, they likely would have made their target sales and still would be making close to $100 profit on each unit.  The DSi, XL and Lite's prices could have each seen a $20 price drop as well.

Beuli2 said:

They should be, because now they are stuck with it for 5 years and no one really cares about 3D.

People care about games.

I'll chart this into quoting out of context and/or mistranslation. Most likely both.

Play4Fun said:
Beuli2 said:

People care about games.

Unike Nintendo and the internet, I don't see many people rushing out to buy a 3DS for a remake of a N64 Zelda or for classics screwed up in 3D. Do you think if a Super Mario Bros had been released on the N64 it would have saved it? Of course not. The 3DS won't be bought just because there is one Pokémon there or a Mario Kart here, it's genral direction is screwed up.

Above: still the best game of the year.

I want to play 3D games on my 46-inch tv. Not on some little handheld. I dont mind using glasses. I want 3D HD (or Full HD for movies) glory and only my PS3 could provide it.