By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Worried People Aren’t Buying 3DS’ Magic

The casual gamer is not willing to spend 250$ for the console, the mainstream gamer is not willing to buy a new system with no games. As soon as the good games will come out mainsteam gamers will start to buy it, and as soon as the price starts to drop casuals will begin to buy it. In the meantime Nintendo can still count on strong DS hardware and software sales, it's not that N should't be worried about it but it doesn't seem like a serious situation.

Around the Network

Its the price. I really  want a 3DS but its essentially the price of a Wii (when first introduced)

Now I am gonna save my money and put it towards the next Nintendo console.

I don't know if this is a sign of truly changing times in the handheld market, but reports are saying that the Xperia Play supply is not keeping up with demand.

We don't track mobile phone sales here, so who knows what that really means. Some of the problem is due to the Earthquake and manufacturing rate being down. But regardless it seems Sony underestimated the underlying demand for the Xperia Play. Time will tell whether the first real console/phone hybrid is going to take market share from consoles or phones. It's certainly the only handheld gaming device I'm remotely interested in, because it would mainly be a phone for me, on which I can play some games with a bit more depth than doodle jump (though I'll also be able to play doodle jump too).

Are there DS owners who aren't Nintendo fanatics who see a lot more value in moving to phone that games (not limited only to the Play) than getting another DS.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I think the sales will come in time, the problem is the DS is still available, perhaps if it were discontinued the 3DS sales would be a lot better.

since the DS is cheaper, people probabily decide to go for the cheaper option, since the awesomeness of 3D isnt something than can be advertised easily. people dont know what they're buying when they see the advert, so....

imo the device will sell, just give it some time.

binary solo said:

I don't know if this is a sign of truly changing times in the handheld market, but reports are saying that the Xperia Play supply is not keeping up with demand.

We don't track mobile phone sales here, so who knows what that really means. Some of the problem is due to the Earthquake and manufacturing rate being down. But regardless it seems Sony underestimated the underlying demand for the Xperia Play. Time will tell whether the first real console/phone hybrid is going to take market share from consoles or phones. It's certainly the only handheld gaming device I'm remotely interested in, because it would mainly be a phone for me, on which I can play some games with a bit more depth than doodle jump (though I'll also be able to play doodle jump too).

Are there DS owners who aren't Nintendo fanatics who see a lot more value in moving to phone that games (not limited only to the Play) than getting another DS.

Did you read this somewhere? would be awesome if you can give a link

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network
mushroomboy5 said:

Er...even though it failed to meet projections, isn't it still the top selling games machine at the moment?

Only at launch. It is slightly below DS start. However, DS did not have great start. With all that said, it is still doing decently. I honestly feel sorry if NGP does bad, because the amount of threads about this topic combined with the fact if this trend continues. Nintendo fans are going to be angry, and the only thing that they can take it out on is NGP. (assuming it does bad).

Add: Thus the circle of this site continues. Hopefully I will be gone by that time. 

Acevil said:
mushroomboy5 said:

Er...even though it failed to meet projections, isn't it still the top selling games machine at the moment?

Only at launch. It is slightly below DS start. However, DS did not have great start. With all that said, it is still doing decently. I honestly feel sorry if NGP does bad, because the amount of threads about this topic if it continues, will be made, and remade if NGP by the angry nintendo fans, good thing I am phasing this site out, so I won't see that mess. 

I don't get it..first this thread was not made to bash the 3DS..I could have done it easily with an opinion thread or something. I just posted what Iwata said to be the problem was with not meeting expectations since it's something that have been discussed heavily here and in the sales threads. I even made sure to make a note this could be a situation of misinterpretation in the OP, since it's Kotaku

The only people as far as I see that are making negative threads are some ninty fans themselves. Not sure why 'angry' ninty fans would 'retaliate'..that's just absurd but I won't be surprised. But Heck I expect those NGP threads anyways, doesn't matter how it does.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

M.U.G.E.N said:
Acevil said:
mushroomboy5 said:

Only at launch. It is slightly below DS start. However, DS did not have great start. With all that said, it is still doing decently. I honestly feel sorry if NGP does bad, because the amount of threads about this topic if it continues, will be made, and remade if NGP by the angry nintendo fans, good thing I am phasing this site out, so I won't see that mess. 

I don't get it..first this thread was not made to bash the 3DS..I could have done it easily with an opinion thread or something. I just posted what Iwata said to be the problem was with not meeting expectations since it's something that have been discussed heavily here and in the sales threads. I even made sure to make a note this could be a situation of misinterpretation in the OP, since it's Kotaku

The only people as far as I see that are making negative threads are some ninty fans themselves. Not sure why 'angry' ninty fans would 'retaliate'..that's just absurd but I won't be surprised. But Heck I expect those NGP threads anyways, doesn't matter how it does.

It wasn't about the thread, but rather the posts that are going on those threads, and some threads are specficially created to deal with the issue. Don't worry mugen you are cool, but trust me some of the stuff people are saying these days is jumping the gun. (I would say if you exclude one annoying nintendo fan, it is generally sony fans stating it).

Acevil said:
mushroomboy5 said:

Only at launch. It is slightly below DS start. However, DS did not have great start. With all that said, it is still doing decently. I honestly feel sorry if NGP does bad, because the amount of threads about this topic combined with the fact if this trend continues. Nintendo fans are going to be angry, and the only thing that they can take it out on is NGP. (assuming it does bad).

Add: Thus the circle of this site continues. Hopefully I will be gone by that time. 

What are you going on about?

Play4Fun said:
Acevil said:
mushroomboy5 said:

What are you going on about?

Leave, by that time, I will be gone from this site.