By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Worried People Aren’t Buying 3DS’ Magic

Zlejedi said:

People also had trouble understanding all the awesome things that PS3 is bringing.

Then came slim $100 price drop and magic people understood and started rushing to the shops ;)

3DS also needs this magic $50 message to consumers I'd say.

No, the system didn't just leap in sales rom that price drop. Not that it didn't hurt, but it took more drops than that, and a steady stream of games.

Just one $50 drop is not enough.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

I think the missing launch games and the severe lack of features promised: Netflix, 3D Nintendo channel, Virtual console, etc... are why no one wants to buy it right now. It needs more than a port of a remake of a 3 year old game and Nintendogs in order to show people how interesting it is. Maybe if it launched with Avatar as a movie, and Star Fox 64 in 3D using the spot on motion controls to aim, people would be able to show their friends the potential. Right now, nothing is nearly as impressive as the stuff shown at trade shows, so the general public is not seeing the impact.

For example, why are they STILL releasing 3DS videos to the Internet, and not actually to the 3DS so we can view the videos in 3D and show our friends and co-workers? That doesn't make any sense to me, and seems very foolish from an advertisement perspective. It's like skipping out on the coming attractions at the theatre, and instead just showing short previews on TV.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

bring a zelda, mario, pokemon, smash bros and I will buy it. They need good games...

Jumpin said:

I think the missing launch games and the severe lack of features promised: Netflix, 3D Nintendo channel, Virtual console, etc... are why no one wants to buy it right now. It needs more than a port of a remake of a 3 year old game and Nintendogs in order to show people how interesting it is. Maybe if it launched with Avatar as a movie, and Star Fox 64 in 3D using the spot on motion controls to aim, people would be able to show their friends the potential. Right now, nothing is nearly as impressive as the stuff shown at trade shows, so the general public is not seeing the impact.

For example, why are they STILL releasing 3DS videos to the Internet, and not actually to the 3DS so we can view the videos in 3D and show our friends and co-workers? That doesn't make any sense to me, and seems very foolish from an advertisement perspective. It's like skipping out on the coming attractions at the theatre, and instead just showing short previews on TV.

Only the most die-hard Nintendo fan would deny that the launch could have started with more of the hyped features intact.

The 3DS and DS network stores aren't up yet. The Download Play icon/menu system may as well not even be installed as of now as they don't access anything. No internet browswer. There's no 3D video service to speak of, only a single music video to show the potential.

While there will always be those who just buy it because it's there or because it's new or because it's Nintendo, generally speaking most sensible people only buy something when it does or plays something they want now, not in 6 months or a year or whenever.

Street Pass works, it plays a handful of 3DS titles and takes low res 3D photos and that's pretty much what you get today for $250. Sales reflect accordingly. Expect sales to reflect accordingly as more of those features are online and the library expands to include solid games that are not available on other platforms.

Attoyou said:

The 3D is neat, thats it.

Bring the games and people will bring their wallets.

DING! we have a winner

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Around the Network

Sony hurry the hell up with the NGP, while all this confusion is going on you should be preparing to STRIKE

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

MrT-Tar said:
axt113 said:

I think its time for Iwata and Miyamoto to step down and quietly retire (and take Sakmoto and a few others with them), they are no longer helping Nintendo, instead their direction is a danger to Nintendo's future and its shareholders, they clearly don't understand the consumer or the market.

Considering that Miyamoto is behind pretty much all of Nintendo's multi million successes on the Wii and DS, please tell me you're not serious....   Without Wii Sports, I fear for what would have happened to the Wii.

The same thing thats happening with the 3DS

Nintendo held back on their games in order to let third party games get the spotlight, and as we all know from previous experiences, this never works out for the better. Third party ports are not going to help push the sales of 3DS.

Er...even though it failed to meet projections, isn't it still the top selling games machine at the moment?

How about we wait for 3DS' first holiday be for pronouncing it doomed. Especially you axt. >=(