By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Worried People Aren’t Buying 3DS’ Magic

The library is weak and its pricey compared to other portable consoles. PSP and DS have more rounded out libraries, are significantly cheaper, and still have life in them. So obviously those are gonna deter sales from 3DS.

Regardless, 3DS is gonna be a huge hit even if initial sales aren't meeting expectations.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
lightbleeder said:

First mistake: naming it 3DS. We've been through DS, DS lite, DSi, DSi XL... People think 3DS is just another DS, so they guess it's not necessary to buy it since they already own it, especially when the new one costs $250. Nintendo should've called it something different.

Second mistake: pricing it at $250, it's just too much specially when you could buy a 32GB iPod Touch for  few dollars more and buy a lot of casual games almost for free.

Third mistake: not having a Mario title at launch. Maybe a Mario Kart or something like that.

The concept of a dedicated gaming handheld is not that much attractive anymore, but that doesn't mean it cannot sell well. Just create a great music and movie/TV service for the handheld and a lot of people is going to buy the system.

My thoughts exactly.  My son sells electronics and whenever he mentions 3DS the first reaction is - I/my kids already own a DS.   People by and large are oblivious to it being a new system, and assume it's a DS with 3D added on. 

Price and lack of compelling software are also major hurdles.

The public just dont agree with the 3ds, it could be the price, it could be the 3D or it could be that DS gamers have moved on to Iphones and such. Only time will tell, wait for a price drop  to really speculate, when that happnes and sales are still low then we can all agree that it is time for nintendo to start shiting bricks.

If you have to explain it to consumers, its a flop

Im not buying one right now cause theres no games. Ill wait for the Super mario, mario kart, paper mario games. Already own star fox and ocarina of time. Not worth 250 bucks right now for remakes of games I own. I like the 3d alot so that doesnt bother me.

Around the Network

I personally am waiting for some games that I want to play.  So release some must-have games and I think people will buy the handheld.

I think its time for Iwata and Miyamoto to step down and quietly retire (and take Sakmoto and a few others with them), they are no longer helping Nintendo, instead their direction is a danger to Nintendo's future and its shareholders, they clearly don't understand the consumer or the market.

axt113 said:

I think its time for Iwata and Miyamoto to step down and quietly retire (and take Sakmoto and a few others with them), they are no longer helping Nintendo, instead their direction is a danger to Nintendo's future and its shareholders, they clearly don't understand the consumer or the market.

They clearly know some consumers (as they are all different, it is impossible to know them all) and have sold the system to them. All products are explained through advertising and it is how these are shown that makes the difference. The 3DS needs to hit a critical mass and doing so in April was always going to be a challenge. Nintendo have a lot of cards left to play.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

bazmeistergen said:
axt113 said:

They clearly know some consumers (as they are all different, it is impossible to know them all) and have sold the system to them. All products are explained through advertising and it is how these are shown that makes the difference. The 3DS needs to hit a critical mass and doing so in April was always going to be a challenge. Nintendo have a lot of cards left to play.

Wii and DS were very easy for consumers to get, it required very little to get people interested, the 3DS shouldnt; need Nintendo trying to push consumers to use it and appreciate it.

You say they have cards to play, nothng they have shown indicates that they even understand the problem the market has withthe 3DS.

Currently the 3DS is looking like the PS3 of handhelds as far as launches go.

The assumption being made was that consumers would buy the new hardware simply because it was new, or perhaps simply because it was Nintendo, when the reality is that software sells hardware and currently there obviously isn't enough compelling software to sell the hardware to the early adopters.

I'll even argue that the best games to play on the 3DS are currently DS games, for which you do not need a 3DS to play.

Nintendo probably should have thrown out something other than NintenDogs and Pilot Wings as their initial titles.

Unfortunately since they just released Pokemon Black/White, that market's been tapped for the next year or two, but an exclusive Pokemon on 3DS would have moved a lot of hardware even though it would have been at the expense of upsetting a lot of Pokemon fanatics who would have to buy a new handheld to play.

Truth is, there currently isn't a single title on the 3DS that could be called a killer app that legitimately makes use of its hardware upgrades (specifically 3D) in creating an experience like no other that requires being played on the 3DS.

Until that happens it's just going to be a matter of slow adoption over time with sales picking up as the library expands.