By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Spec speculation on new system - $300 limit though, perhaps even $200.

I'm expecting the next gen PS and Xbox to have GPUs equivalent of Nvidia GTX580s in triple-SLI (which ran the Unreal Engine 3 Spartan demo), which is more than 6 times faster than a Radeon 4850 (or speculated Wii 2).

The big question is if the multiplatform games from 2014 and forward will be developed with the less powerful Wii2 in mind or will they work with PS4 and Xbox 3 only?

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:

That's not much stronger than the current HD consoles.

A Radeon HD 4850 is only 3-3.5 times faster than the GPU of the Xbox 360, and this new Nintendo console is supposed to come out in 2012... 7 years later than the X360.

I think that's very poor when you consider the X360 also cost $300 when it launched.

That Xbox 360 realistically probably would have cost $700 if it came with a realistic hardware margin. Anyway the HD 4850 is more than fast enough and it'd definately be more than 3-3.5 times faster than the Xenos chip. In practice it'd be at least 4x faster with the major difference being further increased because it'd have effectively 2-3x the RAM for graphics work depending on how the developer splits it.

Tease.

Play4Fun said:
Aprisaiden said:
Play4Fun said:

We don't evenm know the full specs and you come with that not much more powerful than PS3/360 thing.

Nintendo can make a full generational jump with the R700.

If SONY / Microsoft launch new consoles in 2014 using old GPU's they will be 6 GPU generations ahead of the R700. Not to mention rumours are that Nintendo is aiming for 512mb of RAM, maybe 1024mb. The biggest bottleneck for current systems is there lack of RAM, so 1024mb of RAM would indicate a system only slightly more powerful. As for the CPU will don't have much information other than it being PowerPC based and using 3 cores. As such it probably fits inline with the other specs. 

Not to mention the leaked slideshow had Nintendo indicating that they want easy ports from 360 and PC to there new console. That shows that they are looking to compete with current consoles and not SONY/Microsofts next-gen consoles.

Nintendo will put themselves at a point where the console is powerful but still doesn't threaten development prices.

Sony and MS are NOT going to bleed moeny like they did this generation. They will come out powerful but not so much more. They have to be more conservative. Too powerful and devs will say 'FK You! We're not going bankrupt to develop on your hardware!' Sony and MS know the budget costs problems devs are having.

If they come out too powerful, they'll put Nintendo in a PS2/360 position where games are developed for the 'CAFE' and ported to others because it is easier to develop for and less expensive.

And they cannot come at 6 GPU ahead of the R700 unless they come with huge boxes with cooling systems so the console doesn't melt.

The rumour never said Nintendo is aiming for 512 MB RAM. That was a French-to-English translation mistake on the part of someone. The French site said they don't know the amount of RAm but 512 MB is the minimum.

I'm expecting 1.5-2GB myself.

Who said M$/SONY will need to bleed money? They could easy built consoles in 2014 much more powerful than the N6 and sell it at ~$400 at break even point or making a small profit off the hardware. They wouldn't even need to consider the N6 at that point since big games like GTA would move to there new platforms effectively leaving PS3/360/N6 versions as afterthoughts once the new consoles start selling.

Also i don't quite understand how you can mistake 512mb for 1024mb... not to mention i assumed Nintendo was using 1024mb of RAM while im sure that new consoles from M$/SONY will use atleast 4096mb of RAM.  

Finally countering rising development costs is something the industry has to deal with and refusing to use more powerful hardware is a bandaid fix that will hurt the industry more in the long run. Instead we need publishers and developers learning how to reuse resources, better bugdeting and dev kits that are easy to use and very flexible. Hell if Atlus can make a game like Demon Soul's that is highly profitable then i don't see why others can't follow there example - not every game needs hundreds of people accross multiple development teams working on it!

Play4Fun said:
Squilliam said:

^ Not very nice to tell people to eat crow.

But...but...I've been waiting for this moment since he started naysaying.

Forgive me. Perhaps I shouldn't have.

no, it's funny

(unless you're seriouuuuus?)

Squilliam said:
gumby_trucker said:

considering the codename panned out I think the rest of the rumors are probably in line as well.

Squilliam's projections seem about right. The only thing I'm not sure of is the use of BluRay, seeing as current drives are still a bit expensive, as well as relatively slow.

Seeing as rumors about price are between $300-$400 Nintendo might "gauge demand" once again at E3, or maybe the price will come down to whether there are 1 or 2 bundled controllers...

Bottom line, and this is really important, NO Getting HYPED at E3, no matter how cool it is!

Blu Ray or equivalent is a must at this point. It isn't because they couldn't live with a DVD sized disc for one more generation as much as they need a media which can stream faster than 12MB/S without sounding like an angle grinder in the process.

The reason why Blu Ray are more expensive is because you need to pay not only for the physical drive but also for the right to play back Blu Ray movies, likely DVD movies as well and for the increased markup passed along the chain. The physical drives won't cost significantly more than physical DVD drives especially if they decide to save ~$15 and not play back movies with it.

That's pretty much a given. Nintendo sells games.

I hope your previous assement is correct. It sounds nice.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network

I expect 80GB min HDD, 1080P,  Blu-Ray and 3 times the power of the PS3, with 3DS controller. All for $299.

It won't be under $250, otherwise the home console<Portable. That doesn't happen.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Squilliam said:

Storage:

Something like 8GB of Flash.

NO!!!!!!!!!!

> or = 80gb or GTFO!!!!

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

I very much like the screen controller rumor and I think based on the 3DS pricing, success of PS360 (which started at high prices), and current success of pricey phones/tablets... a ceiling price is more realistically $400.

I'm betting with 75% confidence that it will launch at $350.

I was right at first mention that 3DS would be $250 and I think level headed thinking and taking into account these rumors and what I said above, $350 is reasonable.

I'd potentially pay it. Maybe wait for $300... just depends on games I guess.

As far as my ideas on specs and such...

I have two threads that go into detail on all this.

I see a full media enabled device, with bluray, android apps, wireless-n, 3-4core CPU, 1-2GB ram, high end video GPU, standard HDDs, USB (2-4), two packed in controllers (wiimoteplus and dualanalog w/ screen).

$350 with some basic games as Wii and 3DS both had pack-ins to demostrate new functionality.

Conegamer said:

I expect 80GB min HDD, 1080P,  Blu-Ray and 3 times the power of the PS3, with 3DS controller. All for $299.

It won't be under $250, otherwise the home console<Portable. That doesn't happen.

3 times as powerful as the ps3, and 3ds controller for less than $300???

Keep dreaming bud...

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

homer said:
Conegamer said:

3 times as powerful as the ps3, and 3ds controller for less than $300???

Keep dreaming bud...

Not for less than $300, but for $350-$400 that's easily doable.