By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has the Wii failed as a gamer console?

It has two Kororinpa games on it, for fuck's sake. Of course I think it's the greatest thing.

But then again, I'm not a gamer, am I?

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Around the Network
loves2splooge said:
SaviorX said:
Soriku said:
SaviorX said:

For any male 12-38?

Yes.

For all the open-minded ones out there, not at all, its excellent.

That's one huge generalization you're making.

I would not say it if  I did not feel it was true Soriku. An outstanding majority of men in that age group consider the Wii a "baby" console.

Unfortunately that is true. Way too many guys around that age that lack the open-mind to truly appreciate the Wii. This is why I keep saying that all these predictions that Nintendo can win over this demographic with the Wii HD/2 is crazy talk. To this demographic, Nintendo = kiddie. I don't think it's possible to change their mind. Most single guy gamers 12-34 are sheep that only like heavily advertised and hyped Xbox 360/PS3 games. They don't give a shit about the niche Xbox 360/PS3 stuff. If the gaming media or their friends aren't buzzing about it, they don't give a shit about it. So it does not surprise me at all that they won't give a shit about the Wii's niche core titles. And of course they aren't going to be caught dead trying stuff like Just Dance (it's not my favorite type of game but it's pretty fun. I have to admit). And given that this demographic turned their back on Nintendo for ages, they certaintly don't have much attachment to Nintendo's first party titles either.

These people are hype whores. When these guys talk to me about the latest and greatest big-budget hype-machine Xbox 360/PS3 game they are going to buy next or what they're playing now and they ask me what I'm playing and I tell em Persona 3 Portable, Deathsmiles, No More Heroes or whatever, they not only look at me like I'm from outer space but many of them have zero interest in learning more about these type of games. It's human nature for humans to want to engage in hobbies that are popular with their peer group. The more time they devote to expanding their horizons, the more they shift away from their peer group. Especially now that gaming is becoming more and more online multiplayer focused.

Totally disagree.

I played and had N64 and GC through till the age of 22. Back then Nintendo had a much much larger library spanning much more genres than they have with the Wii.

The Wii misses so much in terms of library that I would miss out on so much by only owning a Wii. 

The Snes and N64 libraries were the best Nintendo ever had.

It failed me and I can only speak for myself. Unlike the N64 I will not remember it fondly. Of course, if it was my only console I might feel differently, but I own all three.

Nah. Its just obscured by the superior libraries of the PS3 and X360. Otherwise, it's pretty good. Heck, given that Wii2 isn't due to come yet, I'll probably get one new.

Not really. I think however, In my opinion, it did fail to gather a loyal hardcore audience. I mean yeah, hardcore gamers do play the wii but their games are relatvely forgettable and many gamers never come back to those games (Since I here people always talking about the Wii gathering dust), aside for a some exceptions. It also failed to back up its hardcore games. Red Steel 2, NMH, and Madworld were great games, with very mature content but they did not sell well, unlike the more family friendly like SMG, DKR etc. The Wii accomplished a lot of things this gen. It showed the world the importance of the casual gamer market, it set the standard for motion gaming, it showed that stunning, HD graphics aren't needed to come out with killer titles and more. The Wii could have been much more for me personally if the graphics weren't so old, but I think the Wii is quite the milestone that is keeping MS and Sony bosses up late at night :)

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network

I have enjoyef Wii alot, both retail and downloadable games. As a true gamer i look beyond what is hyped and find many quality games

selnor said:

Totally disagree.

I played and had N64 and GC through till the age of 22. Back then Nintendo had a much much larger library spanning much more genres than they have with the Wii.

The Wii misses so much in terms of library that I would miss out on so much by only owning a Wii. 

The Snes and N64 libraries were the best Nintendo ever had.

I can at least respect the opinions of a SNES/N64/Gamecube fan. It's the "Nintendo = kiddie" crowd that is out of line with their assessment of Nintendo. Honestly I don't think Nintendo had any choice but to pursue the so-called "casual market" this gen. If they tried to play the "keeping up with the Joneses" (HD right from the start) game with the Playstation and Xbox, Nintendo was going to lose and lose badly. Nintendo can't get over the perception that the 12-34 male crowd has about them ("Nintendo = kiddie") no matter how much they cater to that demographic.

A "keeping up with the Joneses" Wii 2/HD 2012 release would also be a disaster with the "core" crowd (because by the time the PS4/Xbox 720 rolls around, the Wii 2/HD will be "dated" and the devs and "core gamers" will complain that the Wii 2/HD can't measure up. It would be like Dreamcast all over again. Dreamcast was a significant upgrade from the PS1 but then the PS2 rolled around with it's overall higher specs and DVD media and the Dreamcast became "dated") and it would also alienate the Wii's target audience. Particularly the later adopters who just put down $200 for a piece of hardware that is worth waaaayyy less than $200. If Nintendo isn't happy with the demand of their console, why not slash the price instead of releasing another one? Especially when the profit margins on that little thing are huge. The harddrive-less Xbox 360s have been at $200 for at least 2 and a half years ffs. You can't expect Wii demand to still be high when your hardware is way overpriced and you aren't putting out enough killer apps for 2011.

About the games library part, yes it has truly one of the worst library of any console.

The problem is not that it has tons of shovelware, but simply too few great games. Even more significant is the huge lack of certain genres. Let's face it, third party developers can make just as incredible games as 1st party ones and the Wii is missing a lot of those and Nintendo doesn't come close in making up for them.

It has the second and third best rated games ever, so no. I own more games for my Wii than my PS3 and maybe more than my 360 (not sure I need to check because they're both 40 plus). I'm probably one of the biggest gamers on this site and it definitely hasn't failed me.

definatly definatly not.

snes excellent

n64 excellent

gamecube excellent

wii ???? ive hardly bought any games for it since launch, i play more gamecube gametime than wii time on it, it simply hasnt got the library as other consoles

but that may change if and when the new rumours wii2 is out, il get one if its turns out well

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...