By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has the Wii failed as a gamer console?

No it does not fail at all as a gamer console but it does fail someone like me who loved their previous consoles. The Wii is more of a new beginning (something Nintendo HAD to do after the way the GC was received).

Around the Network
M.U.G.E.N said:
Conegamer said:
Xen said:

Nah. Its just obscured by the superior libraries of the PS3 and X360. Otherwise, it's pretty good. Heck, given that Wii2 isn't due to come yet, I'll probably get one new.

I wouldn't say that either console has a superior library, unless we're talking about 3rd party mulitplat titles...

The Wii has, IMO, the biggest range of games, with quality games in the 2D and 3D platformer, Action and/Adventure, (J)RPG, FPS, TPS, Action RPG, Sports, On-Rail shooters, racing, Strategy, and many others.

Maybe the PS3 has a library on-par with it, but I wouldn't say that either is 'better', just catered to different audiences.

Also- PS2 is Shovelware king. 2,500 games with less than 100 worth buying...

First: when you say the library it means all games, first plus 3rd party plus online games etc etc...

Second: do you HONESTLY believe what you typed? (the bolded)

Alright, the first part I suppose...

And if I didn't believe the second part I wouldn't say it.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Conegamer said:
Xen said:

Nah. Its just obscured by the superior libraries of the PS3 and X360. Otherwise, it's pretty good. Heck, given that Wii2 isn't due to come yet, I'll probably get one new.

I wouldn't say that either console has a superior library, unless we're talking about 3rd party mulitplat titles...

The Wii has, IMO, the biggest range of games, with quality games in the 2D and 3D platformer, Action and/Adventure, (J)RPG, FPS, TPS, Action RPG, Sports, On-Rail shooters, racing, Strategy, and many others.

Maybe the PS3 has a library on-par with it, but I wouldn't say that either is 'better', just catered to different audiences.

First: when you say the library it means all games, first plus 3rd party plus online games etc etc...

0_o not sure what to say man...forget perspective...that's just flat out wrong

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

There's more than what you're listing on the Wii. You just gotta do the research. Spend some time in the Wii subforum. I've been really lazy with keeping up with adding games to my library on this site and adding to my wishlist. But my mental wishlist is pretty huge. I've seriously played through like only maybe a dozen Wii games (I have 5 systems and sometimes dip into the PC and even PS2 end so that's why I'm only at a dozen or so). I barely touched (I plan on playing through them all. It's just a matter of getting to them... lol) Shiren, Sakura Wars, Trauma Team, Another Code R, NSMB Wii, Baroque (I have a huge backlog, what can I say) and some others so I'm not going to count those. On top of that I got a huge wishlist. I just have too much hardware to juggle.

The Wii isn't light on good software. It's just lighter than a Xbox 360 or PS3 I guess. I say I guess because I don't know. I've lost a lot of interest in the HD systems as of late. I'm just not in the mood for that kind of experience right now. I'm in a handheld gaming mood right now (I'm not excited about Portal 2, Mortal Kombat, etc. I'm just not the type that gets super excited for a game just because it's heavily marketed on gaming sites. Portal wasn't exactly my favorite type of game and I'm not a big fighting game fan. I'm super eager to play Catherine and Dungeon Siege III to a lesser extent but that's about it for recent HD releases off the top of my head. inFamous wasn't my thing so not excited for inFamous 2. There's always the possibility that LA Noire, Red Dead Redemption, Assassin's Creed, etc. could be something I could find really enjoyable. But I never was the type to feel "oh man I gotta play that" with the latest AAA big-budget blockbuster being pimped out by IGN, GameSpot, GameStop and my peers. There has to be something about the game that is familiar or interesting enough for me to really feel like I gotta play it. I was hyped for Heavy Rain because as a big visual novel nut, the whole interactive movie thing is a good fit for me. Catherine has that whole half-visual novel thing going for it and it's made by Persona team so that's why I'm eager to play it. And Dungeon Siege is kinda like Diablo so Dungeon Siege III (while not super excited for it by any means) seems like a safe bet for a good time waster.

There's gotta be something to get my attention beyond how hyped it is by the gaming media and gamers. Far too often I've given hyped up AAAs a chance only to find that it's not my thing. And then I get told I'm crazy for not having the same tastes that everyone else in my peer group does (ie. my dislike of FPS games, Gears of War, God of War and other AAA titles that just didn't grab my interest). I'm more of a niche gamer and I'm sort drawn to niches as well when it comes to television and movies. I mostly watch Premium channel content or premium-like content. I don't watch much network television. That I am itching to watch some Jersey Shore, which is far from premium but it looks so bad that it seems entertaining to watch. To me, AAA blockbusters are a lot like network television to me. Every so often I'll really dig a particular AAA blockbuster just like I dig The Big Bang Theory. But I find that my tastes are more niche-oriented than not (whether it be games, television, movies, anime, whatever).

Conegamer said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Conegamer said:
Xen said:

ps2 is shovelware king?

thats bs, i didnt game much back then, but it had very good games, yes many games were crap like games with a dynasty warriors spin, some with platforming,  and others with rpg elements, but most games were good for ps2 standerds.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Around the Network

The PS2 and the Wii are in two totally different leagues.

With the right third party support perhaps the Wii could have come closer to the PS2 but as it is right now, it's a rather big comedy to put both on the same level.

M.U.G.E.N said:
Conegamer said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Conegamer said:
Xen said:

0_o not sure what to say man...forget perspective...that's just flat out wrong

Hey, I'm talking independantly of the other consoles. Just looking ast the Wii it has games in those genres. Not many, but enough, say, 2-8 in each genre.

Also,  zgamer- the PS2 has 197 games which score above 75 on MetaCritic. Out of over 2,000. So around 9% aren't shovelware. The Wii has 92 out of 877 releases, so 11% aren't 'shovelware'

Breaking it down, at this point in the lifecycle of the PS2, it had a shovelware percentage of 10%. It works extending it down as well.

RolStoppable said:
Conegamer said:

Hey, I'm talking independantly of the other consoles. Just looking ast the Wii it has games in those genres. Not many, but enough, say, 2-8 in each genre.

Also,  zgamer- the PS2 has 197 games which score above 75 on MetaCritic. Out of over 2,000. So around 9% aren't shovelware. The Wii has 92 out of 877 releases, so 11% aren't 'shovelware'

Breaking it down, at this point in the lifecycle of the PS2, it had a shovelware percentage of 10%. It works extending it down as well.

I know you desperately want to become a writer for VGC, but this sort of analysis is just too much.

I know I'm wrong but I can't just say that now, can I?

Also, I messaged him but no answer. So I dunno

RolStoppable said:
Conegamer said:

I know I'm wrong but I can't just say that now, can I?

Also, I messaged him but no answer. So I dunno

Right... don't let me stop you from fighting until you get banned.

You said it was inevitable. Fine...

The Wii and PS2 are in different leagues. Whilst both are good consoles, they can't be compared, because the Wii lacks 3rd party support. Whilst the Wii has a selection of good games in many genres, comparing it to the PS2 is a mistake. Because they're in different leagues.

@Conegamer  your alright, man. But PS2 & WIi LOL no, not even remotely close. I would put GC closer to PS2, frankly. Hell i might even give you PS1 maybe. THe Wii is its own unique beast, nothing like it before and i dont think nothing like it will come again, thats something we can all appreciate