By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has the Wii failed as a gamer console?

Conegamer said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Conegamer said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Conegamer said:
Xen said:

Nah. Its just obscured by the superior libraries of the PS3 and X360. Otherwise, it's pretty good. Heck, given that Wii2 isn't due to come yet, I'll probably get one new.

I wouldn't say that either console has a superior library, unless we're talking about 3rd party mulitplat titles...

The Wii has, IMO, the biggest range of games, with quality games in the 2D and 3D platformer, Action and/Adventure, (J)RPG, FPS, TPS, Action RPG, Sports, On-Rail shooters, racing, Strategy, and many others.

Maybe the PS3 has a library on-par with it, but I wouldn't say that either is 'better', just catered to different audiences.

Also- PS2 is Shovelware king. 2,500 games with less than 100 worth buying...

First: when you say the library it means all games, first plus 3rd party plus online games etc etc...

Second: do you HONESTLY believe what you typed? (the bolded)

Alright, the first part I suppose...

And if I didn't believe the second part I wouldn't say it.

0_o not sure what to say man...forget perspective...that's just flat out wrong

Hey, I'm talking independantly of the other consoles. Just looking ast the Wii it has games in those genres. Not many, but enough, say, 2-8 in each genre.

wait wha? how the heck can wii have the biggest range of games if you are not comparing it to other consoles? that just not compute

and in comparison it lacks BIG time in many genre...it leads in platformers tho..but others? ps360 are leagues ahead in most cases..actually I will say in almost all of them

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network
M.U.G.E.N said:
Conegamer said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Conegamer said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Conegamer said:
Xen said:

Nah. Its just obscured by the superior libraries of the PS3 and X360. Otherwise, it's pretty good. Heck, given that Wii2 isn't due to come yet, I'll probably get one new.

I wouldn't say that either console has a superior library, unless we're talking about 3rd party mulitplat titles...

The Wii has, IMO, the biggest range of games, with quality games in the 2D and 3D platformer, Action and/Adventure, (J)RPG, FPS, TPS, Action RPG, Sports, On-Rail shooters, racing, Strategy, and many others.

Maybe the PS3 has a library on-par with it, but I wouldn't say that either is 'better', just catered to different audiences.

First: when you say the library it means all games, first plus 3rd party plus online games etc etc...

Hey, I'm talking independantly of the other consoles. Just looking ast the Wii it has games in those genres. Not many, but enough, say, 2-8 in each genre.

wait wha? how the heck can wii have the biggest range of games if you are not comparing it to other consoles? that just not compute

and in comparison it lacks BIG time in many genre...it leads in platformers tho..but others? ps360 are leagues ahead in most cases..actually I will say in almost all of them

Nah, I'm not talking about quantity, more just HAVING a game in their. 

I don't follow 360 much, but it doesn't have much other than FPS' which are easy to see. Maybe PS3 has more, but that's MY opinion, which interest me and me only.

IMO, PS3>Wii>360, but that's my opinion. Wii has more Platformers, party, on-rails shooters and strategy it would seem. But PS3 otherwise.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:

I don't follow 360 much, but it doesn't have much other than FPS' which are easy to see. Maybe PS3 has more, but that's MY opinion, which interest me and me only.

IMO, PS3>Wii>360, but that's my opinion. Wii has more Platformers, party, on-rails shooters and strategy it would seem. But PS3 otherwise.

again you're just changing your tune now.... the hd consoles have way way more variety in most of the genre out there than the wii..easily too. quantity AND quality wise.

i disagree about 360 too, true it has a lot of great FPS and it might not match up to ps3 in diversity of things but even that has more diversity than the wii..not just in shooters.

and on-rail shooters? really? that's something to be proud about? who in their right minds want a on rails vs a normal shooter.

not sure about strategy...not a genre I'm familiar with so can't answer that..platformers and party games? for sure

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

kergeten said:

4 years from now when this generation will be history will any gamer seriously look at the Wii as a console with a good library of games compared to its rivals?

Will anyone consider buying it second hand? will anyone attach any value to it beyond the gimmick motion controls? The Wii has had years to develop a decent library and games are either waggle fests that use the controller or more balanced games that barely use the motion sensing capabilities.

Don't get me wrong it has a few gems, mostly from nintendo, but the rest is crap, for all the hardware and software it has sold the Wii sure is a disappointment in terms of quality, and it will be completely forgotten come next gen.

In your mind, it appears to be a complete and total failure, destined to end up in the dustbin of industry and totally forgotten.  Do you really need to post here to try to get others to confirm the opinions you believe to be true?  If you fail to see the relevance of motion control, and what the Wii has done, then where is there going to be any ground to be able to discuss the relevance of the Wii to videogames?

At WORST the Wii is like the home Pong units that put videogames into the home, or something else that blazed the way other things (like the Model-T).  The Wii also put an end to the belief that you had to ALWAYS do a jump in graphics.  There was a need to address the control issues with videogames and motion controls have helped to prevent this from appearing on the videogame horizon:

In short, motion control is a key part of the future of videogames, and providing a more natural interface for people is essential also.  If people don't buy a Wii in the future, it is because what the Wii does is done by more recent consoles, and better.  But, without the Wii, you would still face the path of having more and more complicated controllers being introduced, and the belief it is graphics horsepower increases that needed to be the answer, as opposed to a completely different feature set.  Myself, I will still look to keep my Wii.

My take is gamers like games, and what does the form of the controller matter?  I happen to do stuff with the Wii I don't do elsewhere.

M.U.G.E.N said:
Conegamer said:

again you're just changing your tune now.... the hd consoles have way way more variety in most of the genre out there than the wii..easily too. quantity AND quality wise.

i disagree about 360 too, true it has a lot of great FPS and it might not match up to ps3 in diversity of things but even that has more diversity than the wii..not just in shooters.

and on-rail shooters? really? that's something to be proud about? who in their right minds want a on rails vs a normal shooter.

not sure about strategy...not a genre I'm familiar with so can't answer that..platformers and party games? for sure

Strategy you have Fire Emblem, Batallion Wars and Pikmin from Nintendo alone. And Little King's Story right off the bat. Dunno about others, I don't delve into it that much, but I KNOW there's more. Dunno about the HD consoles really.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
enditall727 said:

maybe

im just mad they didn't make a RPG Paper Mario or pikmin 3 on it

I played Super Paper Mario on it.  It did come out.  It mixed platforming with RPG action, but it still came out.

Conegamer said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Conegamer said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Conegamer said:
Xen said:

Also,  zgamer- the PS2 has 197 games which score above 75 on MetaCritic. Out of over 2,000. So around 9% aren't shovelware. The Wii has 92 out of 877 releases, so 11% aren't 'shovelware'

Breaking it down, at this point in the lifecycle of the PS2, it had a shovelware percentage of 10%. It works extending it down as well.

your using metacritic to rate games?  how ironic. if you go by metacritic the 360 and ps3's lineup destroy the one of the wii. and yet you say they are on par.

also comparing 360/ps3 games to wii games using meta isnt right because they are rated by diffrent standerds, same thing for the wii/ps2 games comparision.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

well thats the story with nintendos home consoles, they rely too heavily on first party games.  to me, its a gamers console, but not a hardcore gamers console if you catch my drift.  its good for the casual to adept gamer.  it lacks many adult oriented games, which make it hard for older fans to be serious about the system.  thats why i sold my wii, it has good casual games, but i got bored with it.

Check out my video game music blog:

http://games-and-guitars.synergize.co/

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

He who hesitates is lost

Pavolink said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Conegamer said:
Xen said:

Let me see:

2D -3D paltformer - Yes, easy.

Acttion/Adventure - Zelda is not enough. Okami is just a port.

JRPG - Xenoblade is one of the best of this gen. The Last Story is good. Both aren't big meltdowns...

FPS - Goldeneye. Not enough.

TPS - RE4 is a port.

Action RPG - Is Pandora's Tower the only one on Wii?

Sports - Yes.

On rail shooters - Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles. Yes.

Racing - lol no. MK Wii is fun and good, but no.

Strategy - Has Wii any game of this genre? Maybe Little King Story?

So, I doubt Wii has quality games of all genres.

Hey! You forgot Monster Hunter Tri, it's like one of the best games ever. >_<

You also forgot Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn from the strategy section.

Kyuubi Ricky SSJ2 said:
Pavolink said:

Let me see:

2D -3D paltformer - Yes, easy.

Acttion/Adventure - Zelda is not enough. Okami is just a port.

JRPG - Xenoblade is one of the best of this gen. The Last Story is good. Both aren't big meltdowns...

FPS - Goldeneye. Not enough.

TPS - RE4 is a port.

Action RPG - Is Pandora's Tower the only one on Wii? Edit: MH Tri. So, probably yes.

Sports - Yes.

On rail shooters - Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles. Yes.

Racing - lol no. MK Wii is fun and good, but no.

Strategy - Has Wii any game of this genre? Maybe Little King Story? Edit: Fire Emblem.

Edit: Also has another genre like FPA with the Metroid Primes. Dominates this genre (if exist in first place)

So, I doubt Wii has quality games of all genres.

Hey! You forgot Monster Hunter Tri, it's like one of the best games ever. >_<

You also forgot Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn from the strategy section.

Edited. Thanks.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile