By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony: 'Price doesn't make or kill a platform'

psrock said:

Kinect = $150, fastest selling product

Ipad = from $500 to 800, sold 15 million last year. 

Price means nothing as long you give the consumers value

Out of all the posts in this thread I have to agree with this statement the most.

I'm not saying of course that price has no impact on sales.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
goforgold said:

but they HAD to launch the ps3 at the price that is was to even get to the smaller slim.  It's not like they had the sim model and the phat model both at launch and decided to go with the phat one, your point would have had a little bit of breaings if that was the case but you and I both know that wasn't the case.

that and.....that aint what you said but we won't get into that again

That's not what I or others said.

The slim model has a lot less hardware than just being smaller. All of those removed connections and software reduces the cost of the model. So, in theory, the phat model could have had enough hardware/software removed to match the features of the slim model and thus coudl have started off at a lower price while still giving Sony the amount of loss per console, yet they could have sold more consoles early, thus generating bigger base and potentially far more software sales which in reality could have actually reduced their losses in the first few years.

entrenal hardware components being made smaller and cheaper >>> removed connections of software reduces

I don't know why you guys complain so much about 599 US dollars. When the PS3 launched here, it cost 5499 Argentinian pesos, which at the time was somewhere between 1500-2000 US Dollars.

I bought mine by the end of 2009 for only 535 dollars while you guys were buying them for 299.

Look at the price of the controller and the game, 499 pesos for the controller (around 100-150 dollars, I really don't remember what the conversion was back then.... probably around 1 Dollar = 3.15 Pesos... but I don't remember) and 599 pesos for Resistance (around 150 US dollars).

Nowadays you can find them for 480-500 dollars from importers who don't pay any taxes, lol... but it costs over 600 if you buy it the legal way. The 3DS costs the same from the importers who avoid taxes (480-500 dollars)... I don't know if they're being sold in the "legal market" yet.

If I'm right and 1 Dollar = 3.15 Pesos then

PS3 = 1745.71 US Dollars

Sixaxis = 158.41 US Dollars

Resistance = 190.15 US Dollars

You know... at the time it seemed impossible for me to ever get a PS3 with those prices... I kept saving money for it for a very long time but it seemed like I was never going to be able to afford it at the beginning. I didn't give up though, my money kept growing (and shrinking when I spent some money on some PC parts) and the price kept going down until I finally got enough to buy it :P.

I wish the PS3 was 599 US dollars when it launched here too, lol.

A banner stolen from some site xD

Release Final Fantasy Versus XIII nowwwwwwwwww!!! lol :P

goforgold said:
superchunk said:
goforgold said:

but they HAD to launch the ps3 at the price that is was to even get to the smaller slim.  It's not like they had the sim model and the phat model both at launch and decided to go with the phat one, your point would have had a little bit of breaings if that was the case but you and I both know that wasn't the case.

that and.....that aint what you said but we won't get into that again

That's not what I or others said.

The slim model has a lot less hardware than just being smaller. All of those removed connections and software reduces the cost of the model. So, in theory, the phat model could have had enough hardware/software removed to match the features of the slim model and thus coudl have started off at a lower price while still giving Sony the amount of loss per console, yet they could have sold more consoles early, thus generating bigger base and potentially far more software sales which in reality could have actually reduced their losses in the first few years.

entrenal hardware components being made smaller and cheaper >>> removed connections of software reduces

They didn't HAVE to make such expensive hardware though, so your point is kinda... well, pointless. If Sony would have wanted the PS3 reasonably priced at the beginning, they WOULD have made it happen by developing it in a smarter way than what they did.

I LOVE ICELAND!

SaviorX said:
Wagram said:

$60 for a 2 hour movie? What the fuck over priced theater did you go to buddy?

3D Movie at IMAX with an assortment of food and drinks adds up.......

You would have to be a complete idiot to pay that price.

For one 3D sucks and isn't worth the extra money, and who doesn't take the time to sneak in snacks and drinks? I do.

Around the Network
Wagram said:
SaviorX said:
Wagram said:

For one 3D sucks and isn't worth the extra money, and who doesn't take the time to sneak in snacks and drinks? I do.

Don't look at me! LOL

My friends always get mad when I watch films at the cheaper matinee times.

"It's still the same movie guys, just at 3 in the afternoon!"

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

The thing is, the PS3 was worth more than the $599 in tech but in the eyes of the consumers, it was not, while the Ipad which cost less than $300 to make sells like crazy. It's also a matter of marketing as well, making people want what they don't need is what Apple does best which Sony don't know how to yet. 

The NGP will be worth more than Sony will sell it for, but can they sell the price to us gamers. It's a matter of real world marketing, enough stupid mistakes like misleading promises, delays ( long wait), and get the media on your side. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

He's right, but only to a point, and the problem being that he's probably talking about value as "features you can tick off a checklist," which really isn't the case for consumers

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

SaviorX said:
Wagram said:
SaviorX said:
Wagram said:

Don't look at me! LOL

My friends always get mad when I watch films at the cheaper matinee times.

"It's still the same movie guys, just at 3 in the afternoon!"

And you tend to get the whole theatre to yourself

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

psrock said:

The thing is, the PS3 was worth more than the $599 in tech but in the eyes of the consumers, it was not, while the Ipad which cost less than $300 to make sells like crazy. It's also a matter of marketing as well, making people want what they don't need is what Apple does best which Sony don't know how to yet. 

The NGP will be worth more than Sony will sell it for, but can they sell the price to us gamers. It's a matter of real world marketing, enough stupid mistakes like misleading promises, delays ( long wait), and get the media on your side. 

I don't think the problem has been media on the side, but seriously I think we jumping the gun here, it still very well can be priced at $249.99 – 349.99, which should be ideal for such a device.