By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony: 'Price doesn't make or kill a platform'

Sony Computer Entertainment America president Jack Tretton has said that the success of a platform is not reliant on price but in the value of its features.

Tretton discussed the value of gaming in an interview with Fast Company. "I think that consumers respond to value. If you're passionate about something you find a way to go out and get it and gamers are very passionate," he said.

Tretton makes the common comparison between the cost of a game - an experience of dozens of hours for around $60 - and the total expense of seeing a movie at cinema, which usually provides two hours of entertainment at a similar cost.

"When you're buying a platform, when you're buying technology, you're hopefully buying a device that you're going to enjoy for many years. If you look at an investment comparable to a game device be it a system or a portable - whether it's an iPod or cell phone - people are used to spending several hundred dollars to get a portable device," he goes on to say.

"Typically it comes down to; 'how good is the system and how bad do I want it?' And it's not to say that the price of the platform isn't a consideration, but I don't think price makes or kills a platform. Something that's lousy and very inexpensive is not going to be successful. Something that's pricey will ultimately find its audience if there's enough value there."

Tretton makes no specific reference to the price of its next portable, codenamed NGP. However, rumours suggest the console will cost between $250 and $350.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/296926/news/sony-price-doesnt-make-or-kill-a-platform/

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

Around the Network

"We don't learn"

-Sony

hes a dumass.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Sadly he's wrong, the price point can be a major determining factor as to whether a console succeeds or not. Look at PS3, when the price was cut to $299 sales skyrocketed and haven't been in any danger ever since. But before the price cut, PS3 was far too expensive ( yeah I know it was really that bad at $399) and it didn't sell as well as it could've. If the PS3 launched at $399 instead of $499 then there is no doubt it would've sold better, I don't even want to think what a $299 PS3 would have done at launch.

never a good sign when before a companies new system launch they are discussing how price isn't a factor on a systems successs

Around the Network
irstupid said:

never a good sign when before a companies new system launch they are discussing how price isn't a factor on a systems successs

sadly i agree

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Is it just me or do they just seem to be softening their customers for some ridiculous $599?

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

the fact that after launching with a "$600" console and they are still alive shows they might be right.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

I agree that if you make a compelling original product, price doesn't play such a big difference. I mean, look at Kinect...

However Sony has to yet figure out how to make a compelling video game hardware product and not lose money on it at launch.

says the console manufactuer who saw sales dramatically rise following a considerable price cut