By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony: 'Price doesn't make or kill a platform'

Ajescent said:
Mr Puggsly said:
psrock said:

Kinect = $150, fastest selling product

Ipad = from $500 to 800, sold 15 million last year. 

Price means nothing as long you give the consumers value

Apple mobile devices are trendy items with a lot of hype. Even cheap people with little money buy them.

Price matters on devices not Apple.

That sorta kinda goes in line with his statement no?

I guess if you brainwash the consumer base like Apple did with theirs, then price really doesn't matter.  

Around the Network
MrT-Tar said:

says the console manufactuer who saw sales dramatically rise following a considerable price cut

That happens at ANY price cut of a product...unless the product is absolute shit, obviously

i see in the future that the ngp will be $499 wifi and $599 3g ;) hmmmmm is that a launch price of the ps3 20gb for 499 and 60 gb for 599 lol

jacks81x said:

I'm sure they would, but that's a completely different scenario.  The PS3 wasn't released at $200 then suddenly raised to $600.  Also, if Honda did jack up the price of the Civic by a ridiculous margin like you're suggesting, but yet the car itself hasn't really changed, then consumers would simply buy from another maker.  When there is a pre-established value for the car, you can't just jack up the price without improving the product and justifying the cost.  That scenario will never happen in the video game industry.  There is not one example where the MSRP of a game console increases over time.  

Even if Honda released an entirely redesigned Honda Civic which was competitive in form and features to all other $50,000 cars, existing Honda Civic owners would have significant problems with Honda abandoning them by producing a $50,000 Civic.

Whether it is reasonable or not, people actually use the products they buy to identify themselves in ways that used to be limited to their country or their religion. When a company changes their product line to suddenly exclude these loyal fans they take it very personally.

If price doesn't matter, why did you sell your PS3 at a hefty $200 lose?

Around the Network
jacks81x said:

I'm sure they would, but that's a completely different scenario.  The PS3 wasn't released at $200 then suddenly raised to $600.  Also, if Honda did jack up the price of the Civic by a ridiculous margin like you're suggesting, but yet the car itself hasn't really changed, then consumers would simply buy from another maker.  When there is a pre-established value for the car, you can't just jack up the price without improving the product and justifying the cost.  That scenario will never happen in the video game industry.  There is not one example where the MSRP of a game console increases over time.  

There is pre-established value for video game consoles as well.  Past generations have set that bar.  Sony tried to buck the trend with the PS3, and we all saw what happened.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Just for reference, here are the PS2 prices in the US at a given time last generation.

Country  
Date 
Price 
United States 200010October 2000 $299 (launch price)
United States 200205May 2002 $199 (-$100)
United States 200305May 2003 $179 (-$20)
United States 200405May 2004 $149 (-$30)
United States 200604April 2006 $129 (-$20)
United States 200904April 2009 $99 (-$30)

rocketpig said:
Attoyou said:

Tretton makes the common comparison between the cost of a game - an experience of dozens of hours for around $60 - and the total expense of seeing a movie at cinema, which usually provides two hours of entertainment at a similar cost.

I haven't met anyone who is either fat enough to require five seats or buys $45 worth of candy every time they see a movie but hey, it's Jack Tretton! He's never full of shit!

The same thought occurred to me.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.