By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony: 'Price doesn't make or kill a platform'

add to the fact that when the ps3 was first out they was selling it for a lost. so i think jack is right

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
KylieDog said:

Sony guy is right, low price didn't make the GC a hit, high price didn't kill the PS3.

But price does have a fairly substantial impact on sales ... For example, the PS3 launching at $600 means that it will probably never pass 55% of the sales of the PS2

But wasn't the PS2 the most expensive console last Gen?

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:
HappySqurriel said:
KylieDog said:

Sony guy is right, low price didn't make the GC a hit, high price didn't kill the PS3.

But price does have a fairly substantial impact on sales ... For example, the PS3 launching at $600 means that it will probably never pass 55% of the sales of the PS2

That would be the Xbox - though they may have cost the same to start.

psrock said:
HappySqurriel said:
KylieDog said:

Its not about who is the most or least expensive, it is about whether people believe a console is over priced.

The PS2 and XBox both launched at $300, which was the same price as the original Playstation at launch, and most people believed that it was a reasonable price for a console.

HappySqurriel said:

I have to think (as many people have already pointed out) this is the beginning of the PR spin to soften the blow of the NGP's eventual price ...

Part of my thinking is that, from the time the PSP launched until the NGP will (probably) launch the American Dollar will have lost between 40% and 50% of its value compared to the yen; and most western currencies are in a (somewhat) similar position. If Sony intends on releasing the NGP for the same (basic) price in Japan, this could translate into the NGP being 66% to 100% more expensive in the United States than the PSP was; and if Sony factored in a price increase of 25% in Japan, the NGP could end up being 100% to 150% more expensive than the PSP was in the United States.

Which would add up to what? I forget the PSP's US launch price and never knew it's Japanese launch price

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

I think the price of $299.99 is perfect and the sales ww are great. Don't drop the price again Sony.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

HappySqurriel said:
psrock said:
HappySqurriel said:
KylieDog said:

Its not about who is the most or least expensive, it is about whether people believe a console is over priced.

The PS2 and XBox both launched at $300, which was the same price as the original Playstation at launch, and most people believed that it was a reasonable price for a console.

that's called value dude. That's why some people buy $10,000 computers while others by $200 dollars netbook. These companies job is to show the value of their products. 

The xbox sold 20 million consoles, the gamecube which cheaper sold even less. People believed the PS2 offered more than just price. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:
HappySqurriel said:
psrock said:
HappySqurriel said:
KylieDog said:

that's called value dude. That's why some people buy $10,000 computers while others by $200 dollars netbook. These companies job is to show the value of their products. 

The xbox sold 20 million consoles, the gamecube which cheaper sold even less. People believed the PS2 offered more than just price. 

But if the PS2 was $600 I'm certain that the XBox and Gamecube would have seen a substantial sales increase at the expense of the PS2.

The fact is that Sony is right and wrong with their comment at the same time. Within reason price does not determine the success or failure of a console, but as you start to push the limits of what people believe is reasonable you can make a system a failure on price alone.

Mr Khan said:
HappySqurriel said:

I have to think (as many people have already pointed out) this is the beginning of the PR spin to soften the blow of the NGP's eventual price ...

Part of my thinking is that, from the time the PSP launched until the NGP will (probably) launch the American Dollar will have lost between 40% and 50% of its value compared to the yen; and most western currencies are in a (somewhat) similar position. If Sony intends on releasing the NGP for the same (basic) price in Japan, this could translate into the NGP being 66% to 100% more expensive in the United States than the PSP was; and if Sony factored in a price increase of 25% in Japan, the NGP could end up being 100% to 150% more expensive than the PSP was in the United States.

Which would add up to what? I forget the PSP's US launch price and never knew it's Japanese launch price

If I remember correctly, the PSP was $250 at launch and (based on how the yen has changed and may change in the future) this would translate into a $350 to $500 system.

disolitude said:
goforgold said:
disolitude said:

I agree that if you make a compelling original product, price doesn't play such a big difference. I mean, look at Kinect...

However Sony has to yet figure out how to make a compelling video game hardware product and not lose money on it at launch.

which has absolutely nothing to do with what he's talking about

Ask Sony Entertainment CEO when PS1 launched for 299 and Saturn and 3DO were sold for 399 how much price had to do with appeal and you'll hear a different answer.

Well, much of that has to do with the game library and 3rd party support.  A console by itself is useless if there are no games.  If Square had released FF7 on 3DO instead, who knows how history would've changed?

And he's not entirely wrong with his point.  In almost every other industry customers are willing to pay premium for quality.   If we all had the same mindset in purchasing other products as we do in purchasing game consoles, we'd all be driving Kia's and wearing K-Mart brand clothes.  What I find ironic is that the general public has no problem paying $600 for an iPad, but yet scream and yell when a game conole that is technically superior and feature-rich cost more than a couple hundred dollars.