By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony: 'Price doesn't make or kill a platform'

Games4Fun said:
goforgold said:
SaviorX said:

lol huzzah for posting pointless videos :)

Your video isnt pointless I enjoyed it and watched it all for some odd reason.

it's the tune dude, it's completely addicting

Around the Network
Kantor said:
rocketpig said:
Attoyou said:

Tretton makes the common comparison between the cost of a game - an experience of dozens of hours for around $60 - and the total expense of seeing a movie at cinema, which usually provides two hours of entertainment at a similar cost.

I haven't met anyone who is either fat enough to require five seats or buys $45 worth of candy every time they see a movie but hey, it's Jack Tretton! He's never full of shit!

I'm sure Gabe Newell goes to the cinema occasionally.

He probably doesn't. He just walks into his home theatre that's also one giant bed full of supermodels and $100 bills and rolls around for awhile.

His insurance to cover the occasional crushed supermodel is probably a bitch to pay every month, though.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

He's setting up the NGP for a higher price point. They are setting up the expectations so when a $350 or $400 price is mentioned people are not as surprised as they were with the $600 PS3.

Granted, the PS3 is not a bad platform and its price was necessary for its features. But, had they began with a feature set more like the slim model (only larger) they could have potentially had a $500 system with similar features and been better out the gate.

In the end though, price is a very important piece of the puzzle, but more than anything else, content is king.

Kinect = $150, fastest selling product

Ipad = from $500 to 800, sold 15 million last year. 

Price means nothing as long you give the consumers value

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
superchunk said:

He's setting up the NGP for a higher price point. They are setting up the expectations so when a $350 or $400 price is mentioned people are not as surprised as they were with the $600 PS3.

Granted, the PS3 is not a bad platform and its price was necessary for its features. But, had they began with a feature set more like the slim model (only larger) they could have potentially had a $500 system with similar features and been better out the gate.

In the end though, price is a very important piece of the puzzle, but more than anything else, content is king.

Thats what I said...

Sony inability to keep price under control at lauch = necessary to make statemtns like this

However it turns out it wasn't related to this topic at all.

Around the Network

$60 for a 2 hour movie? What the fuck over priced theater did you go to buddy?

disolitude said:
superchunk said:

Thats what I said...

Sony inability to keep price under control at lauch = necessary to make statemtns like this

However it turns out it wasn't related to this topic at all.

but they HAD to launch the ps3 at the price that is was to even get to the smaller slim.  It's not like they had the sim model and the phat model both at launch and decided to go with the phat one, your point would have had a little bit of breaings if that was the case but you and I both know that wasn't the case.

that and.....that aint what you said but we won't get into that again

disolitude said:

I agree that if you make a compelling original product, price doesn't play such a big difference. I mean, look at Kinect...

However Sony has to yet figure out how to make a compelling video game hardware product and not lose money on it at launch.

Look at Kinect? You mean that gaming peripheral that launched for a fraction of PS3's launch price?

Consumers don't seem to mind buying relatively expensive accessories down the road, but the core console needs to be reasonably priced. That's been the key to the 360's success. They haven't had to cut the console price much because it was reasonably priced since launch.

In my opinion, it seems hype and price are crucial for having a successful console. Sony had the hype, but they didn't have the price this gen.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

goforgold said:

but they HAD to launch the ps3 at the price that is was to even get to the smaller slim.  It's not like they had the sim model and the phat model both at launch and decided to go with the phat one, your point would have had a little bit of breaings if that was the case but you and I both know that wasn't the case.

that and.....that aint what you said but we won't get into that again

That's not what I or others said.

The slim model has a lot less hardware than just being smaller. All of those removed connections and software reduces the cost of the model. So, in theory, the phat model could have had enough hardware/software removed to match the features of the slim model and thus coudl have started off at a lower price while still giving Sony the amount of loss per console, yet they could have sold more consoles early, thus generating bigger base and potentially far more software sales which in reality could have actually reduced their losses in the first few years.

Wagram said:

$60 for a 2 hour movie? What the fuck over priced theater did you go to buddy?

3D Movie at IMAX with an assortment of food and drinks adds up.......

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."