By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony: 'Price doesn't make or kill a platform'

PS4-$800 confirmed? :-p

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Around the Network

oh boy...

i can't speak for the mods on this site but imo this is one time trolling sony should be overlooked.

patapon said:

"We don't learn"

-Sony

becasue the playstation 3 is SOOOO Dead

disolitude said:

I agree that if you make a compelling original product, price doesn't play such a big difference. I mean, look at Kinect...

However Sony has to yet figure out how to make a compelling video game hardware product and not lose money on it at launch.

which has absolutely nothing to do with what he's talking about

Really Sony,really?

Around the Network

To those who point at PS3 success:

It only started succeeding when the price point hit a reasonable level. It at first didn't kill Sony because they had other tech divisions, and they were making HUGE PS3 losses until they got their act together around 2009 or so.

So yes, price is a factor, and their statement concerns me.

He didn't say anything explicitly wrong, but there's the obvious implicit argument that is worrisome. For Sony.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

goforgold said:
disolitude said:

I agree that if you make a compelling original product, price doesn't play such a big difference. I mean, look at Kinect...

However Sony has to yet figure out how to make a compelling video game hardware product and not lose money on it at launch.

I think it does actually.

Mr Trenton may play a cool card here in saying that price isn't as important as the product appeal...but he secretly knows that there is no way they can have a low price to generate appeal with something like NGP since its so tech loaded.

There pretty much no other answer he can give at the moment.

Ask Sony Entertainment CEO when PS1 launched for 299 and Saturn and 3DO were sold for 399 how much price had to do with appeal and you'll hear a different answer.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

disolitude said:
goforgold said:
disolitude said:

I think it does actually.

No it doesn't

Mr Trenton may play a cool card here in saying that price isn't as important as the product appeal...but he secretly knows that there is no way they can have a low price to generate appeal with something like NGP since its so tech loaded.

non of that has anything to do with this statment

"However Sony has to yet figure out how to make a compelling video game hardware product and not lose money on it at launch."

where is talking about profitability? oh right he's not, which is why bringing up whether or not they'll profit off the device is completely pointless to the arguement, and on that note, they lost a ton of money on the ps3 and not only is it still here but is currently outselling BOTH the 360 and the wii each with much cheaper skus than the ps3

There pretty much no other answer he can give at the moment.

except the one he gave of course

Ask Sony Entertainment CEO when PS1 launched for 299 how much price had to do with appeal and you'll hear a different answer.

games sold the ps1 and that is what was it's appeal,  not the price which was.... lol more than it's competitors, but for shits and giggles: when I get my Delorian back from the shop I'll look into that

Truthfully Jack is right on the money with this. appeal>price