By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - RUMOR - Monster Hunter 3DS to be announced at Capcom Captivate 2011?

Mr Khan said:
Conegamer said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:

I love these discussions ^^ when it's not "RAWR my console is better than urs my exclusave is are teh greetist!" or people perpetuating hype for a game that's just plain meh, no two people discussing a game they've both clearly played and discussing aspects of said game, good job.

But you left out one part, switch axes for life bitches! That is all.

Come here soulmate

Also, what about Longswords? They're pretty awesome as well, but not for the quicker monsters. Underwater it's useful, and for the slower leviathons...

And Lances have their uses...never got into bowguns, no matter how hard I tried...

Longsword is the only other one i really use, though due to having to get Ludroth Coins, i am pretty good at killing Ludroth with a Great Sword. Longsword i only use for Jaggi, Baggi, and Gigginox.

I have to add Uragaan, Jhen Morean and Deviljho as well

Everything else is Switch Axe for me!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
Chrizum said:
patapon said:
Play4Fun said:
patapon said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
makingmusic476 said:

Yeah, when I read his post I couldn't help but wonder how one would control the camera and use the buttons for actions simultaneously.

It's the same issue in Monster Hunter PSP and Peace Walker, only replace the touch pad with the analog nub.  Neither device can be used easily in tandem with the system's face buttons.

How would one do that with a dual analog controller hrm? Magically sprout a second thumb on your right hand?

"how one would control the camera and use the buttons for actions simultaneously."

One thumb on the camera analog, one thumb on  the face buttons?

By that logic:

"how one would control the camera and use the buttons for actions simultaneously."

One thumb on the touch screen, one thumb on  the face buttons?

Except that is a completely unergonomic and downright horrible system for Monster hunters and 99% (probably 100%) other types of games.

Plus, It would also require the user to be left handed to even make considerable sense for games specifically designed for that style. (action and trigger buttons are situated on right side of 3ds, right handed people hold stylist with right hand... the issue is obvious)

Traditional controllers such as the duelshock and 360 controller are refined gaming devices for playing in 3D environments. The NGP echos their deign perfectly if initial handling reports from the gaming industry are to be believed. Hell, one of the biggest complaints about the PSP was poor/difficult control in 3d games. From my understanding (I have not personally handled the NGP) this has been aptly remedied.

The 3DS on the other hand will have some mighty difficulties to overcome with its monster hunter game. Overcoming them is not impossible though. It will require innovation and not a copy/pasta of the PSP's version. But to play off  3ds control ease as comparable to what the NGP has with little discrepancy is garbage. 

tl:dr- read it Maxwell, don't be lazy this time

You don't really need the stylus though, you can just use your right thumb to control the camera with the touchscreen.

It's not ideal though, as your screen would get smudged.

Well that and the fact to have your thumb on the right side analog (the camera control) and the face buttons at the same time you either need two thumbs on your right hand or you need to reach with your left thumb to get to the camera analog while your right thumb is on the face buttons... one of which is impossible the other very uncomfortable and leaves you standing still.

And yes you use the touchpad with your thumb often, games are designed around this mechanic SEE Super Street Fighter IV 3D, but it's still just as viable for camera controls as a second analog which is why games like Okamiden don't have issues with camera controls like Monster Hunter on PSP.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Tomorrow we'll see if Capcom drops the bomb. (Please be a full blown sequel >_<)

I LOVE ICELAND!

MaxwellGT2000 said:
Chrizum said:
patapon said:
Play4Fun said:
patapon said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
makingmusic476 said:

Yeah, when I read his post I couldn't help but wonder how one would control the camera and use the buttons for actions simultaneously.

It's the same issue in Monster Hunter PSP and Peace Walker, only replace the touch pad with the analog nub.  Neither device can be used easily in tandem with the system's face buttons.

How would one do that with a dual analog controller hrm? Magically sprout a second thumb on your right hand?

One thumb on the camera analog, one thumb on  the face buttons?

By that logic:

One thumb on the touch screen, one thumb on  the face buttons?

Except that is a completely unergonomic and downright horrible system for Monster hunters and 99% (probably 100%) other types of games.

Plus, It would also require the user to be left handed to even make considerable sense for games specifically designed for that style. (action and trigger buttons are situated on right side of 3ds, right handed people hold stylist with right hand... the issue is obvious)

Traditional controllers such as the duelshock and 360 controller are refined gaming devices for playing in 3D environments. The NGP echos their deign perfectly if initial handling reports from the gaming industry are to be believed. Hell, one of the biggest complaints about the PSP was poor/difficult control in 3d games. From my understanding (I have not personally handled the NGP) this has been aptly remedied.

The 3DS on the other hand will have some mighty difficulties to overcome with its monster hunter game. Overcoming them is not impossible though. It will require innovation and not a copy/pasta of the PSP's version. But to play off  3ds control ease as comparable to what the NGP has with little discrepancy is garbage. 

tl:dr- read it Maxwell, don't be lazy this time

You don't really need the stylus though, you can just use your right thumb to control the camera with the touchscreen.

It's not ideal though, as your screen would get smudged.

Well that and the fact to have your thumb on the right side analog (the camera control) and the face buttons at the same time you either need two thumbs on your right hand or you need to reach with your left thumb to get to the camera analog while your right thumb is on the face buttons... one of which is impossible the other very uncomfortable and leaves you standing still.

And yes you use the touchpad with your thumb often, games are designed around this mechanic SEE Super Street Fighter IV 3D, but it's still just as viable for camera controls as a second analog which is why games like Okamiden don't have issues with camera controls like Monster Hunter on PSP.

yea i'm confused reading this argument over camera control.  to move the camera on say ps3 controller you need to take your thumb OFF the four buttons and down to the analog and rotage camera.  just like you would need to take your thumb OFF the four buttons the 3ds and move to teh touch pad.

its the same damn thing.  oh and lol at earlier in post i saw someone mention screen gets covered up when you have to use the touch pad.  wtf, the top screen is never touched, that is where the action would be.  the bottom screen may be nothign more than a blank screen to just move camera, and if hit say start the bottom screen opens up menu or something. 

So..... did they announce it?

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
KungKras said:

So..... did they announce it?

I'm pretty sure it was the 12th.

And also, @ discussion above: Sword and Shield for the win!!

taking your fingers off the face buttons to control the camera sounds kinda lame.

(use wiimote/nunchuck for tri- can move, use camera, and switch between attacks without compromising hand placement- thank you capcom)

From this I have devised this idea,

You use the analog circle pad for movement (first thumb)

You use the face buttons X,Y,A, and B for camera (second thumb)

Index fingers for the shoulder buttons- attack and dash or dash and attack

the only properties being left out are shielding and dodging

if you're blocking you may not need the camera  and could just use your right or left thumb for the touchscreen. (input would be on both sides of the touchscreen for reasons stated below)

dodging is a bit trickier and would rely on the player setting up their camera angle ahead of time then blocking.

having the input for block and dodge along the corners of the touchscreen would allow players to change the camera angle and dodge with their left thumb (if in motion, why would you need to move?) or block and move- lancers please use your right thumb to block.

the middle of the touchscreen would be for items and ammo; the layout similar to MHtri.

Oh yea, and the types of attacks...maybe the attack button could be pressure sensitive much like street fighter games on the gameboy advance? The amount of time you have pressing down on the attack button would change the type of attack.

An alternative, not my favorite, would be to utilized the Dpad for the type of attacks, ... after the inital attack you could then choose your combo. This would limit your initial attack to be the same.

Update: forgot that if you try to run while wielding a weapon you'd block anyway. That and I still haven't addressed the input for wielding and sheathing a weapon...Touchscreen or select?

I don't think Capcom is going to announce something like Monster Hunter on the 3DS in a USA event. If anything Japan should hear about it first since it's pretty popular over there than over here. So i am not gonna set my expections just to get disappointed tomorrow.

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

platomaker said:

taking your fingers off the face buttons to control the camera sounds kinda lame.

(use wiimote/nunchuck for tri- can move, use camera, and switch between attacks without compromising hand placement- thank you capcom)

From this I have devised this idea,

You use the analog circle pad for movement (first thumb)

You use the face buttons X,Y,A, and B for camera (second thumb)

Index fingers for the shoulder buttons- attack and dash or dash and attack

the only properties being left out are shielding and dodging

if you're blocking you may not need the camera  and could just use your right or left thumb for the touchscreen. (input would be on both sides of the touchscreen for reasons stated below)

dodging is a bit trickier and would rely on the player setting up their camera angle ahead of time then blocking.

having the input for block and dodge along the corners of the touchscreen would allow players to change the camera angle and dodge with their left thumb (if in motion, why would you need to move?) or block and move- lancers please use your right thumb to block.

the middle of the touchscreen would be for items and ammo; the layout similar to MHtri.

Oh yea, and the types of attacks...maybe the attack button could be pressure sensitive much like street fighter games on the gameboy advance? The amount of time you have pressing down on the attack button would change the type of attack.

An alternative, not my favorite, would be to utilized the Dpad for the type of attacks, ... after the inital attack you could then choose your combo. This would limit your initial attack to be the same.

Update: forgot that if you try to run while wielding a weapon you'd block anyway. That and I still haven't addressed the input for wielding and sheathing a weapon...Touchscreen or select?

Have you ever played Monster Hunter?
Instead of all this overcomplicated and ridiculous scheme how about taking the inventory to the touch screen and the same way you would use the inventory (L y or a) you use the camera?

No MH guys...

From CapcomEuro

@dampflokfreund 4PM BST embargo lifts and no MH stuff sorry