By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Take your nostalgia glasses off: Games that were never good

I got a great bargain this weekend .... no, not the 3DS. But instead brand new copies of Tomb Raider I, II & III for the good ol' PS1 for just 5 bucks; hooray time to revive the great the glory days.

(24 hours later)

Sweet mother of Mercy, these games are awful!!! And no, is not one of those games that "time has been harsh with it" nope, Tomb Raider was bad, was bad from the very beginning; so it's time to share what games are just a cheap zircon instead of a diamond.

Tomb Raider (PS, PC, Saturn)

Why it was so praised?: Mostly beacuse the character is a busty pixelated girl, seems like some reviewers at the 90's never bother with Metroid or Valis. Also it filled the gap left for Pitfall Harry in the adventure genre traveling in ugly 3D dungeons hunting for treasures.

Where is now: The original developer for these games was shutted down in 2006. Eidos (that 90's rad company that sold Tomb Raider watches for $499) was bought by Square Enix, now Tom Raider waits for a re-invention or another sweet isometric puzzle adventure game.

Pilotwings (SNES)

Why it was so praised?: The game is nothing but a tech demo for the mode 7 and the only good part are the 2 last missions, but it's mode 7 and that's cool I guess.

Where is now: Launch title at the 3DS, again more like a Tech demo, really short and without any new ideas at it.

Pit Fighter (Arcade)

Why it was so praised?: OMG digitized graphics!!!! Who cares if the game is a terrible unplayable misconception with funny jumps. Thankfully Mortal Kombat arrived 2 years later to erease this thing.

Where is now: Dead, just like Atari.

Around the Network

Tomb Raider and Dino Crisis come to mind. 

Ha, I agree with Tomb Raider. TBH the series has always seemed like an over glorified obstacle course. I liked Tomb Raider, the first one specifically, because it attempted to emulated Indiana Jones which was it's obvious inspiration. But looking back? Please, just give me Uncharted

Just because a game doesn't age well doesn't mean it wasn't good at one point.

Its just hard to go back to most titles because we've become accustomed to much more technically advanced games.

For the record, I never liked Tomb Raider. But there wasn't much competition in that genre.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Acevil said:

Tomb Raider and Dino Crisis come to mind. 

ahhh why Dino Crisis?i only didnt like the controls but overall it was such a great horror-survival game...the second was also good though...no comment on the 3rd cause that was totally bullshit...

Around the Network

Resident evil for me. I really didn't like the controls, thinking back it was an OK game for that time but controls were apalling.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Nothing really springs to mind. I obviously didn't play too many games back in the olden times. I did play Tomb Raider, but at the time I didn't think it was all that. I thought it was OK, still do. I've got a few PS1 classics downloaded off PSN. So far so good. I bought FFIX which is the only PS1 game I've bought off PSN that I didn't play previously. I like it, though I haven't finished it yet. It's a wee bit of a struggle to get through a game where ALL dialogue is text based.

There was one game I rented which was utter crap at the time and no doubt it's got even worse with age. It was so bad that it's name has been wiped from my memory.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:

Nothing really springs to mind. I obviously didn't play too many games back in the olden times. I did play Tomb Raider, but at the time I didn't think it was all that. I thought it was OK, still do. I've got a few PS1 classics downloaded off PSN. So far so good. I bought FFIX which is the only PS1 game I've bought off PSN that I didn't play previously. I like it, though I haven't finished it yet. It's a wee bit of a struggle to get through a game where ALL dialogue is text based.

There was one game I rented which was utter crap at the time and no doubt it's got even worse with age. It was so bad that it's name has been wiped from my memory.

Really? must be a generation thing I prefer it text based. The only time I really enjoy voiceovers is when its still in Japanese with sub titles.

NotStan said:

Resident evil for me. I really didn't like the controls, thinking back it was an OK game for that time but controls were apalling.

I think the controls where part of the scaryness, created tension, I don't think they were bad at all for the time remembering analoug sticks werent even about when resident evill started

Hmm I really enjoyed TR back then..not for Lara but thought the game was good...I started to dislike it with number III...It got harder but also less fun....  with Tomb raider Underworld and the downloadeble game they are doing great again.