By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Take your nostalgia glasses off: Games that were never good

badgenome said:
d21lewis said:

Of course, I loved boobies

Past tense? As in, you don't anymore? Don't scare me like that, D!

I loved boobies then, I love boobies now, and should I live to see tomorrow, I'll love boobies in the morning.

--And in a total 180, I'll talk about a game that people think sucked but was actually pretty awesome:  Snake's Revenge for the NES!  The instruction manual told the story of Hiyarolla Cockamamie and Vermin Cataffy (the Ayatollah Khomeini and Momar Khadaffi) and tried to be comical.  I guess this was their way of appealing to kids and getting parents off guard.  My brother and I played through this game and we grew up that weekend.  Snake landed on that island with his comrades.  Before the game was over, one was dead, one was missing in action, and one just disappeared off of the grid.  I had never experienced serious death in a video game before that.  It bothered me for a long time, afterwards.  It had some side scrolling areas which sucked but the story, stealth, and weapons were as good as any 8-Bit Metal Gear of the day.  Toss in the return of big boss, some cool train and boat levels, and some good boss fights, too.  We were just kids but we loved it!

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

--And in a total 180, I'll talk about a game that people think sucked but was actually pretty awesome:  Snake's Revenge for the NES!  The instruction manual told the story of Hiyarolla Cockamamie and Vermin Cataffy (the Ayatollah Khomeini and Momar Khadaffi) and tried to be comical.  I guess this was their way of appealing to kids and getting parents off guard.  My brother and I played through this game and we grew up that weekend.  Snake landed on that island with his comrades.  Before the game was over, one was dead, one was missing in action, and one just disappeared off of the grid.  I had never experienced serious death in a video game before that.  It bothered me for a long time, afterwards.  It had some side scrolling areas which sucked but the story, stealth, and weapons were as good as any 8-Bit Metal Gear of the day.  Toss in the return of big boss, some cool train and boat levels, and some good boss fights, too.  We were just kids but we loved it!

Yeah, Snake's Revenge is awesome. Kojima really did a wonderful job... by having absolutely nothing to do with it.

Prediction: Rising will be the best Metal Gear since Snake's Revenge.

I know a lot of old Playstation fans may not like this, but the majority of the "Best" Playstation games were highly praised for their cinematic cut-scenes and not for their deep or interesting gameplay; and in other games the gameplay elements were designed around the restrictions introduced to make the game look good. The classic example of this is (probably) Resident Evil where the 'heel-turning' gameplay mechanic was developed because the game used pre-rendered backgrounds; and it was only after several of these kinds of games were developed before the mechanic was being used to build tension in the game.

I loved the Resident Evil games, but it wasn't until the Gamecube games that they were actually well executed games.

Dragon Age Origins

Mass Effect

Final Fantasy 3

Final Fantasy 7

I think those are about the few games I can not go back and replay ever.  Tried and just can't.  Not sure what I ever saw in them in the first place.  And no its not that they didnt' AGE well, play many games similar or exactly gameplay/graphics/ect as these and have no problems

Ocarina of the Time and Final Fantasy VII

Oh man.

Around the Network

God of War 1, 2, and 3(why was this game praised so much?)...also Heavy Rain was such an overhyped crap in my opinion!!! Also add to that list Gran Turismso 5 that took 5 years in the making and looks worse than Forza3 in my opinion!!!*

*just my blatant honest opinion since this thread asked!!!

I never liked Quake, just a boring brown shooter.

You had Descent and Duke Nukem 3D at the time and Half life and Unreal during its sequels.

d21lewis said:

You know what else was shit?  Mortal Kombat 1, that's what.  Aside from the special moves, all of the characters had the same move set.  Uppercut, roundhouse kick, leg sweep, jump kick, regular punch, regular kick.  How many matches turned into "Player 1 walks up to Player 2 and punches".  The ONLY thing that made this game stand out was the Fatalities.  At the time, those were awesome.  At least Mortal Kombat 2 was better.

You can go back and play Street Fighter 2 (the original one) and still have a blast with it.  Mortal Kombat sucked balls then and I'm not afraid to say it.

Lies me and my Step Brother never played shitty games for 100's of hours~!

Tomorrow Never Dies that game was a total mess, and looks and play even "badder" now... just about anything on my PSone is unplayable know.

Mortal Kombat 2 comes to mind - Recently I revisited both MK2 and SF2 Turbo. I remeber how everyone stopped playing SF2 when MK2 came about, everyone was raving about the awsomeness of that game, including me. Playing it now, i felt MK2 was complete garbage, and SF2 turbo was still enjoyable - the quality of those two products is like night and day. Never expected that.