By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Uncharted 3 & Uncharted 2 Comparison; Shows PS3′s Sheer Power

CGI-Quality said:
mendozahotness said:
CGI-Quality said:

Really, all you have to do is look at Killzone 3 (which also supports 3D and easily looks better than Killzone 2).

i heard dey went from using real time cutscenes to prerendered ones too

They've always had prerendred and real time cutscenes, it's just that the prerendered ones are in-engine, not CGI. The real-time cutscenes blend seamlessly with the action and look just as good.

They're actually not in-engine, or at least not all of them are. They are pre-rendered offline with the game engine and encoded as videos, then streamed directly from the disk. They do it like this to hide loading between levels. Killzone 3 uses the same technique.

Around the Network
Linkasf said:

It doesn't look THAT impressive... U2 still looks quite close. I don't believe sequels should be released at such close time frames between one another because there isn't a very large difference.

You seem to be implying that a sequel is worthless unless there is an enormous graphical leap between it and its predecessor. I say, if Naughty Dog can make a game in two years that looks better than Uncharted 2 and, more importantly, plays as well, I approve wholeheartedly, and more power to them. You can't expect a massive improvement on Uncharted 2 graphically, because there's only so much you can do with the PS3's hardware.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

mendozahotness said:
Slimebeast said:

In KZ3 the penalty is only apparent when 3-D is on (you get no motion blur and you get sub-HD res). In 2-D mode everyone can see the improved graphics. Everybody wins.

But other games handle 3-D differently - some devs make the whole game, including the 2-d version of the game, look worse and thus suffer from 3-D support.

Not saying I know which method UC3 is using.

naw man they took the motion blur out in 2d mode too and prerendered the cutscenes because they had to make gfx cutbacks from the first game which did all the cutscenes in rt and had awesome blur

Okay, so the 2-D mode has penalties too. Interesting.

CGI-Quality said:

What's done on other sites is irrelevant "dear". I'm talking about VGC, it was doubted that UC2 would look much different to Drake's Fortune. If I wanted to, I could find threads on other sites that completely obliterate what you're trying to do here, but that's meaningless.

please do man, i want to see all the sites that said uncharted 2 would look almost the same as uncharted 1, after all you said it

CGI-Quality said:

Also, what you're saying about KZ3's motion blur isn't true. For starters, all of it wasn't cut back, only some of it was, because the blur in KZ2 depended heavily on the Quincunx AA. It was dialed back in favor of MLAA, which allowed for much more on-screen, MUCH higher detail/robust bump mapping, and a smoother frame-rate.

im talkind bout dat per pixel motion blur, not an anti alising solution

CGI-Quality said:

Read my reply to him, the motion blur wasn't dialed back due to any "penalties", it was because of a shift in anti-aliasing (reading Digital Foundry's analysis will give you that info).

dat only explains why they don't use quincunx, not why they ditched high quality motion blur man, df even said it made kz2 move smoother

CGI-Quality said:

The switch to MLAA allowed for much more on-screen as well as a smoother frame-rate (this of course still including 3D support), which if that's consider a penalty, I'd like to see more of it. It performed and looked better than KZ2 (as well as improving on the "laggy controls")

turning fx off would result in improved performance

CGI-Quality said:

All you've heard is pluses due to the shift in anti-aliasing and 3D did little to nothing to "penalize" the final product. If you truly want to understand, ignore speculation and take in the facts.

but df says the new aa has more jaggies and artifac and the 3d mode makes the game go from hd to sub hd

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

You're selective reading, it's fairly obvious. Every review, analysis, and preview said what DF confirmed, that KZ3 is a much higher quality title, that controls better, looks better, and is smoother. One of the big reasons for this is because of a shift in AA as well as a reduction of excessive motion blur.

again, it just strikes me as odd that they would take steps bak too like prerendering the cutscenes when they were the best part of kz2 and dialing back the effects. new games are not supposed to do anything worse den old games,

btw have you got those uncharted 2 looks worse than uncharted 1 analysis, i was really looking forward to reading bout dem

CGI-Quality said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=64427

Since you insisted - it all starts with the second post in the thread.

what the one saying it's a step up above uncharted 1

what about all these

Looks great

I expect this title to DEFINITELY be a visual step up from the first! With all the newest physics-based actions applied, I also expect the physics/animations to be "leaps and bounds" above the first too!

damn that is a deff upgrade UNCHARTED 2 BABYYYYYY!!!!

Uncharted 2 is already appearing to have substantial visual upgrades from it's predecessor, this far from release no less :D

WOW
I am SO IMPRESSEd with this

you shouldna say stuff you can't backup man is not cool

CGI, you really should listen to my mate mendozahotness. He seems to know his stuff.

You're both good.

they look very close as of right now, we can judge better at e3 i believe.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Slimebeast said:
mendozahotness said:

So the prerendered cutscenes look better but the real graphics look worse.

ND needs to sort da priorities out

Well they did.

There's a plausible explanation for all this. It's the 3-D graphics.

A designer guy from ND in a gametrailers interview recently said that 3D in Uncharted demands essentially twice as much rendering power (those were his almost exact words) and they had to develop tricks to deak with that. So there definately has been a penalty to performance and decrease in image quality to get the game to support 3-D.

Here is what he said:

"After Uncharted 2 one of the very first overhauls that we did to the engine for Uncharted 3 was to implement 3D. We made sure that we made all of the proper optimizations. Basically you are rendering twice as much in the same amount of time. Those cutoff optimizations really helped the performance of the 2D version aswell. So it was just sort of a win win all around."

No mention of the 3D causing any penalty, infact making 3D work with U3 has forced them to fine tune their engine so the normal game is seeing a performance boost.

This could be the part you picked up on:

He mentions that they:

"made some very minor concessions to the 3D version, and that he doesn't think you will notice them when you play it in 3D because the 3D effect will make up for it, and enhance it."

He is talking about how the 3D version sees some concessions, I see nothing about the normal version.