By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why has there only been one 3DS FPS game announced..?

The problem is that First Person Shooters got their start on PCs, and because of that those developers have favored HD systems due to the simplicity at which PC games can become Xbox or PS3 games.

This is still the case even with 3DS. It's going to take a lot for companies like Epic or Valve to develop a game on a Nintendo system. Even if Nintendo made the greatest system ever, they still would see resistance because of that PC-to-console problem.

There is hope though. Activision will likely port over Goldeneye and Call of Duty from their respective Wii versions. It all depends, if those games sell well, then you'll see other companies come on board.

Around the Network

I thought splinter cell was announced?

well hopefully the conduit benefits from less comp.

RolStoppable said:
axumblade said:

Strange...That's how I got the .33 total. x.o According to the graph I'm looking at, Starcraft Command is the highest selling DS game (.73 million). Followed by Star Wars: Battlefront Elite Squadron (.35 million) and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Mobilized (.33 million). Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Mobilized is still the highest FPS but again it's missing data.

Star Fox Command (DS)
Nintendo
0.39 0.11 0.23 0.73
Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron (DS)
LucasArts
0.35 0.00 0.00 0.35
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Mobilized (DS)
Activision
0.33 0.00 0.00 0.33
Contra 4 (DS)
Konami
0.27 0.01 0.00 0.28
Chicken Shoot (DS)
Destination Software, Inc
0.13 0.00 0.00 0.13

It's Star Fox, not Starcraft.

Anyway, given that you can sort the games by the genre FPS, I went with that instead of Shooters. That's why we got different results.

Holy crap Command sold poorly...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Because, as much as I think the touchscreen control works really well for FPS's, it's somewhat counterintuitive, and it's a necessity for FPS's on the 3DS.  If they bring back the thumbnub that they had with the original DS, then it'd be a different story.

Alternatively, if it had a capacitive touchscreen, then thumb-control would be more easily worked out and you wouldn't even need the nub.

But it comes down to the control just not being the best for FPS's. Shame, too, because handheld FPS's is a fantastic thing. It may be the one reason I get a NGP.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network
Silver-Tiger said:

Because it has the same problems as the PSP:

only one friggin nubstick.

I called it first.

It has a touch screen to use as a mosue so it doesn't need a second analog stick. It's probably because 90% of devs interested in developing a handheld FPS want to go for the safe bet. NGP has 2 analog sticks which, whether or not will be better for FPS control than 1 stick & a touchscreen, is what most FPS fans are used to. It also has PS3-like graphics which again is what most most FPS fans are used to. I'm guessing the sales of Conduit 3DS & this years COD will determine how much FPS attention 3DS gets over the next 2 years.

I also wonder whether the first 3DS metroid game will be a FPS or an Other M like game. Other M with an analog stick for movement instead of a d-pad, the ability to move while in First Person View and a slight increase in frequency of puzzles will probably be a really huge hit on the 3DS, probably even more than a 3D FPS Metroid.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

Ug I dont feel like retyping the whole thing. In short, FPS is probably one of the last things people think of for handhelds.

well N-Space the developer used by Activision to make all their NDS FPSs are aparently developing 3 3DS games so at least one of them will be CoD. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6106425&id=133196759098 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

tolu619 said:
Silver-Tiger said:

Because it has the same problems as the PSP:

only one friggin nubstick.

I called it first.

It has a touch screen to use as a mosue so it doesn't need a second analog stick. It's probably because 90% of devs interested in developing a handheld FPS want to go for the safe bet. NGP has 2 analog sticks which, whether or not will be better for FPS control than 1 stick & a touchscreen, is what most FPS fans are used to. It also has PS3-like graphics which again is what most most FPS fans are used to. I'm guessing the sales of Conduit 3DS & this years COD will determine how much FPS attention 3DS gets over the next 2 years.

I also wonder whether the first 3DS metroid game will be a FPS or an Other M like game. Other M with an analog stick for movement instead of a d-pad, the ability to move while in First Person View and a slight increase in frequency of puzzles will probably be a really huge hit on the 3DS, probably even more than a 3D FPS Metroid.

However using stylus touchscreen as mouse brings the problem of not being able to use buttons comfortably.

That's one genre that can tremendously benefit from NGP control scheme - you have 2 analogs, front buttons and d-pad and as a bonus you can use rear touchpad without discrupting controls on the front.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Zlejedi said:
tolu619 said:

However using stylus touchscreen as mouse brings the problem of not being able to use buttons comfortably.

That's one genre that can tremendously benefit from NGP control scheme - you have 2 analogs, front buttons and d-pad and as a bonus you can use rear touchpad without discrupting controls on the front.

The advantage of the stylus is precision. To be able to switch any gun fast just by clicking it. Throwing grenades can be activated while pressing the left shoulder pad plus a thrusting motion. Also remember the gyro in the new handhelds, that might be used to control the view with increased sensibility.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"