By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How did YOUR predictions turn out?

i never took part in that, but if it was in June I would probably have put;

18M for Wii
15M for 360
8M for PS3

low on all three (i wouldn't have had an idea about handheld)... but looking at the average predictions of everybody it seems most people were very low.

What shido put is incredibly accurate, and that was back in April!!!... if i had done one then i think I would have put more like
16M for Wii
14M for 360
9M for PS3 (would have been closer than my later prediction)

Though in April i had only just started looking at this site so had no idea how things normally went.
Hopefully my predictions for the end of fiscal Q4 will not get deleted.

NEOS was really close for Wii/DS

Around the Network

Yeah, Shido and ismael were both really close. WTG people. :)

Here you go, leo. Bon appetit!  Save me a bite, of course.

leo-j said:
hahaha

These are mine

Nintendo DS 47,000,000 0 0.00%
Nintendo Wii 11,500,000 0 0.00%
Playstation 3 7,000,000 0 0.00%
Playstation Portable 30,000,000 0 0.00%
Microsoft Xbox 360 12,000,000 0 0.00%

Yup, nice going leo - better luck next year!

(Wii prediction off by almost 100% - impressive! :>)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I also underestimated every platform. I said:

DS - 52 million (it's at 61 now)
Wii - 16.25 million (at 17 now)
PS3 - 6.5 million (at 7.75 now)
PSP - 27 million (at 28.5 now)
360 - 14 million (at 15 now)

I think I can do better next year, having more knowledge about how sales work now ;)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

My PS3 prediction has held up well....

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

In July, I predicted:

Wii: 18.5m
360: (IF Halo 3 boosts 360 sales, which it did) 15m
PS3: (IF the price drops, which it did) 8m
I didn't predict for DS or PSP.

So, I was pretty close, with everything somewhat underestimated.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

mine don't seem like they are going to be right, all under what will most likely be the end of year sales

I can't remember every single prediction I made off the top of my head but here's some of them.

1. Wii will surpass XBox 360 sales worldwide within the summer. SUCCESS

2. (stipulation #1) Wii will surpass XBox 360 sales worldwide within the month of July. DEBATEABLE

I still base this conclusion on Nintendo's June 30th quarterly report when they said they sold 9.27 million units AT that end of June. Whether counted as sold to retail or not, world combined figures would put this at or near 1 million enough to edge out the 360. But I won't quibble on this point so much out of respect for VGChartz's work.

3. (stipulation #2) Wii will surpass XBox 360 sales in the American continents within the summer. FAILED

4. (stipulation #3) Wii will surpass XBox 360 sales in the American continents within the month of July. SUPERFAILED

5. (predict league entry) Wii will sell AT THE VERY LEAST 20 million units worldwide by the end of 2007 (December 31st at 11:59:59.9 PM). TO BE SEEN...SHORTLY

6. Metal Gear Solid 4 will NOT go to the Playstation 3. TO BE SEEN

7. Resident Evil 5 will come to the Wii (and maybe exclusively). TO BE SEEN

8. Wii will have sold 60 million by the end of 2008 (December 31st at 11:59:59.9 PM). TO BE SEEN

9. Wii will sell AT THE VERY LEAST 240 million units worldwide within its lifespan. TO BE SEEN

10. (addendeum) Wii may see worldwide sales in the 500 million neighborhood within its lifespan. TO BE SEEN

11. Wii is the Future of Gaming (check my Kotaku/Joystiq posts in 2006). SUCCESS IN PROGRESS [see Vii & Sixaxis controller]

12. Wii will DOMINATE the 7th gen from start to finish to be console leader in all territories (check my history at Kotaku/Joystiq). SUCCESS IN PROGRESS

13. XBox 360 and Playstation 3 will struggle against each other for supremacy with 360 being the aggressor in the fight. SUCCESS

14. Playstation 3 will not survive past the year 2009 (meaning never seeing 2010 at all). TO BE SEEN

15. Wii Fit's opening week sales all territories combined will trump the opening week sales of Halo 3. TO BE SEEN

16. (stipulation) Wii Fit's opening week sales will trump the opening week sales of Halo 3 in Japan alone. ULTRAFAILED

17. Metroid Prime 3 will sell at least 500,000 opening week in Americas. FAILED

18. Super Mario Galaxy will sell 1,000,000 opening week in Japan. FAILED

19. (predict league entry) XBox 360 may come close but will not break the 14 million barrier of worldwide sales by end of 2007. SUPERFAILED

20. (predict league entry) Playstation 3 in best case scenario will just make the 7 million mark of worldwide sales by end of 2007. SUCCESS

21. (predict league entry) DS will see 60 million in sales by end of 2007. SUCCESS

22. (predict league entry) PSP will see 25 million in sales by end of 2007. SUCCESS

23. One of the current competitors (Sony or Microsoft) will drop out of the gaming business before the 8th generation. TO BE SEEN

24. The 7th generation will be extended past the traditional 5 year barrier due to the success of Wii & DS. TO BE SEEN

25. (new one!) Nintendo may top Toyota as #1 Japanese company due to the success of DS & Wii when it's all said and done with. TO BE SEEN

I'm sure there's more but these are the ones I could think of off the top of my head.

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

You're a mad man, John....

My predictions from predictions league: http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions/entry.php?id=906 Microsoft Xbox 360 17,000,000 0 0.00% Sony PSP 25,000,000 0 0.00% Sony Playstation 3 9,000,000 0 0.00% Nintendo Wii 17,000,000 0 0.00% Nintendo DS 54,000,000 0 0.00% Hmm, a little too optimistic on XBOX360 and PS3 (but it will be close in two weeks). Wii is now at my prediction, at the end of the year it will be a million more, so I was a little bit too pessimistic. Way too pessimistic on PSP and my DS prediction - oh my god this device is a beast from hell.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]