By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How did YOUR predictions turn out?

I'm prety sure i said 250K for Wii Fit first week. Which was totally right.

Granted... due only to lack of supply... but...

Go me!

Around the Network

My PS3 prediction floped.

I thought 10 millon units would be moved for sure. Damn it!

Final-Fan said:
Sorry johnlucas, but 20. (predict league entry) Playstation 3 in best case scenario will just make the 7 million mark of worldwide sales by end of 2007. SUCCESS should read FAILED. Even if the PS3 doesn't break 8 million it is already 3/4 of the way there from 7 million -- not "just" past the 7 million mark by any measure. On another note -- with all due respect to the Wii (which is a lot), it IS an unusually (relatively) underpowered machine, so I wouldn't bet on an unusually extended lifespan. (But I wouldn't bet on a short one either!) As for the DS, I don't think there really IS a normal handheld life-cycle. I would guess that Nintendo will take their sweet time developing their next handheld unless they have to respond to outside pressure (i.e. Sony). Finally, a question regarding your PS3 DEATH prediction (#14): Do you mean it'll have ceased production by then, or be discontinued at most major retailers, or have no more major games, or what? Console deaths are often quite messy and can be pretty drawn-out so please precisely define your cutoff. [edit: Oops, just noticed how old the thread is -- I doubt john'll spot this reply. Oh well.]

OK then I'll amend the ones in dispute. I knew it could cross 7 million in best case but "just past" can definitely be seen as outdated so I'll change it.

Death means just that. Death. I put an extra parenthetical to clarify my "won't make it out of 2009" remark. That means I think Sony will cease support of the PS3 in by or within 2009. I'm saying there's not gonna be a PS3 supported by Sony in 2010. The market's gonna be different in 2 years and Microsoft will most likely be ready to unleash their new system. Hate to say it but the 360 has peaked. With what Wii's about to do to the market next year both of the HD competitors will be fighting for a shrinking piece of pie with Microsoft being the most aggressive. They're gonna slam Sony next year to stay relevant marketing wise.

360 will do their best to cement the "old audience" and be seen as THE system for that purpose fulfilling their role in mirroring Sony and making them redundant in the process. Sony after the holidays will be a much different story. They did two price cuts in a row in the Americas to win this building position. Microsoft next year will do whatever they can to short-circuit this new momentum finishing the job they started by making the 360: pushing Sony out of the business. I always saw MS as the aggressor. Another price cut will make things painful.

They'll never be #1, they know that. But they will do their best to be #2 & keep Sony from seeing any part of that position overall. I see them going after Europe hard next year to build their power there. That's Sony's currently best region potential wise.

Meanwhile Wii goes all around making both of them irrelevant as they change the market to their design. This WiiDS Phenomenon gets markedly worse in 2008. You've seen nothing yet. Wii is gonna start eroding 360's position in the Americas, its strongest region. This will force MS to push Sony out harder & eventually force them to bring on their next console as they try to jumpstart the 8th generation early to undo Wii. Once MS (or some new outsider who may be entering the market) begins making a new console, Sony will eventually be forced to try for 8th gen too after MS did so much damage to their 7th gen machine. That's the working theory anyway.

I don't really think the 8th gen will be anything we will be expecting. Console may be redefined altogether by that point.

And you may not believe it but Wii will extend the 7th gen far past the usual 5 years.

I'll amend the disputed predictions in the morning. I'm tired right now and its Christmas Eve here.

Merry Merry.

I mean Christmas Christmas.

I mean....see how tired I am?

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!