By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EARLY Killzone 3 Week 1 Estimates in - 500K!

EARLY Killzone 3 Week 1 Estimates in - 500K!

Good 92 26.82%

Meh 128 37.32%

Crap 93 27.11%

trololol I'm a robot so no opinion! 30 8.75%

Total:343
darthdevidem01 said:

LBP2 is showing better holds than LBP1 in UK now, if its the same worldwide then it can still sell as much hopefully.

@makingmusic

it does sound mismanaged. Maybe at some point SONY decided Resistance 3 gets priority?

The decisions surrounding Resistance 3 were made primarily by Insomniac.  They went multiplatform specifically to facilitate longer development cycles. 

That's actually why they haven't allowed themselves to be purchased by Sony. They enjoy their freedom, and Sony generally let's them do what they want.

Also, given the critical and commercial success of Killzone 2 and Resistance 2, I doubt Sony suddenly decided Resistance was the franchise that deserves more of their attention.

By the way, I'd like to clarify that Resistance 3 is not getting a Holiday release.  It's releasing September 6th, which is early Fall.

Around the Network

@darth: yeah, KZ3 launched in Japan as well. Standard Thursday release. I saw it on store shelves when I went to get my 3DS.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

makingmusic476 said:
darthdevidem01 said:

LBP2 is showing better holds than LBP1 in UK now, if its the same worldwide then it can still sell as much hopefully.

@makingmusic

it does sound mismanaged. Maybe at some point SONY decided Resistance 3 gets priority?

The decisions surrounding Resistance 3 were made primarily by Insomniac.  They went multiplatform specifically to facilitate longer development cycles. 

That's actually why they haven't allowed themselves to be purchased by Sony. They enjoy their freedom, and Sony generally let's them do what they want.

Also, given the critical and commercial success of Killzone 2 and Resistance 2, I doubt Sony suddenly decided Resistance was the franchise that deserves more of their attention.

By the way, I'd like to clarify that Resistance 3 is not getting a Holiday release.  It's releasing September 6th, which is early Fall.

ohh September 6th, then Killzone 3 could have been pushed to a November launch...but that would mean going head to head with COD (lets not even get into the other 2 massive releases of that month). October...too close to Resistance 3. December....COD mania would still be present.

So yeah there must've been some management problems but do you honestly think a holiday launch for it would be good? Maybe a summer launch would have been better, like June or July? They could have fixed the problems you mentioned by then too.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
makingmusic476 said:
darthdevidem01 said:

@makingmusic

ohh September 6th, then Killzone 3 could have been pushed to a November launch...but that would mean going head to head with COD (lets not even get into the other 2 massive releases of that month). October...too close to Resistance 3. December....COD mania would still be present.

So yeah there must've been some management problems but do you honestly think a holiday launch for it would be good? Maybe a summer launch would have been better, like June or July? They could have fixed the problems you mentioned by then too.

It needs a holiday launch if it sony wants it to start breaking 5 million

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

RolStoppable said:

Are the poll options in relation to the sales numbers (which are "meh") or is the poll asking for our opinion (which is "crap", because it did better than what was hoped for)?

I do not comment on rumour or speculation.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

Pretty crap considering the amount of advertising it has had. If i see that shitty "So we upgraded our own weapons" advert one more time i might actually put a cap in my tv's ass!

Sales should be alright though for a few weeks as it gets discounted. Already £27 at Tesco.

But in the longterm the game will struggle. I thought it might sell on par as KZ2 but it won't get near it with those numbers.

Meh, and only because I wasn't hyping it out of the wazoo like I did with KZ2.

Hyruken said:

Pretty crap considering the amount of advertising it has had. If i see that shitty "So we upgraded our own weapons" advert one more time i might actually put a cap in my tv's ass!

Sales should be alright though for a few weeks as it gets discounted. Already £27 at Tesco.

But in the longterm the game will struggle. I thought it might sell on par as KZ2 but it won't get near it with those numbers.

I just googled that commercial, it was actually pretty cool

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

leatherhat said:
Hyruken said:

I just googled that commercial, it was actually pretty cool

Yeah the first time you see it. Then have it on every ad break. Especially when sport it on. It get's bad fast!

I kind of agree with those who stated that the game should have been released later. When trying to build an exclusive franchise the timing is key.

I say this but with some reservation, because I know it's easy for all of us here (including myself) to criticise now the sales figures are out.

If it had done 1m opening week then all this stuff we are writing now would have been the opposite, and rightly so. Maybe if it was released later it would have been the same result as now. Who knows. Hindsight is always in 20 : 20.

I really like Killzone series and want it to do well but unless it grows some legs like an Ethiopian long distance runner, I really fear for it's future.