By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why did Gamecube get served???

Kinda confused as to the "purple lunchbox" reference. Ok the handle was dumb, but Gamecubes also came in Black at the launch. Mine was.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Around the Network

Well both the PS2 and Xbox did something unique, while the Gamecube, not so much.

Xbox was the first system wtih Online, HDD and Halo.

PS2 had monster exclusives, first console with DVD player and coming out of the PS1 era

Gamecube had, small awkard shaped controler, mario and super small disc...

No innovation from Nintendo that gen.

Overall weak lineups and despite some small differences graphics wise most people believed XBox was the "bleeding edge" in terms of graphics last gen.

As others stated: No GTA, no Final Fantasy, no Halo. Nintendo had some good first party games but the third party was weak, and RE4 actually ended up selling better on the PS2 I believe.

Purple Lunchbox: The Gamecube was very durable, but had that kiddie feel in terms of games presentation and of course being a purple lunchbox.

No Online: *VERY* few games were online. Microsoft had online with the XBox and even the PS2 had Everquest Online Adventures amongst other games that were online.

The controller: I know a lot of people who were not a fan of the overall control scheme. Though to give Nintendo credit the wavebird was awesome and made it mandatory to have all next generation consoles have wireless controllers.

It's just that simple.

Garnett said:

Well both the PS2 and Xbox did something unique, while the Gamecube, not so much.

PS2 had monster exclusives, first console with DVD player and coming out of the PS1 era

Xbox was not the first console to have online.

I wish more people would have given that controller a chance.  The GC controller is still the most comfortable controller I have ever held.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

I don't think the lack of DVD playback or online had much impact at all. I think that if the Gamecube had stronger titles that created an actual buzz, then the system would have sold better. There was not one single Gamecube title that was really a must have. GTA3, Vice City, and San Andreas were must have titles.

People talk about games like Eternal Darkness, Pikmin, and Baten Kaitos, but games of that tier or higher were MUCH more populous on the PS2; you had Persona, Monster Hunter, Katamari, Devil May Cry, Onimusha, Burnout, Twisted Metal, Tekken, Okami, DDR, Max Payne, God Hand, Sly Cooper, Rachet and Klank, Guitar Hero, Dark Cloud, Jak, Odin Sphere, Disgaea, Phantom Brave, Suikoden, La Pucelle Tactics, Rogue Galaxy, Silent Hill, Star Ocean, Atelier, Fatal Frame etc.... That's before getting into the core tier titles like GTA, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Shadow of the Collossus, God of War, Gran Turismo, Dragon Quest, etc.. All of the games that created buzz that generation were on the PS2, the big titles were the GTA ones.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
Garnett said:

I wish more people would have given that controller a chance.  The GC controller is still the most comfortable controller I have ever held.

*Sigh* I know it wasnt the FIRST console with online, but it was the first console with GOOD online.

oniyide said:

To this day i still dont get how GC got beat that badly. I can understand why they couldnt topple PS2, but XBox??? How the hell did that sell more?? and why did it sell more??? Gamecube was actully outselling it in hte very beggining, but things went downhill fast. Was it the lack of DVD drive??? its not like DVD players were expensive. Was it the lack of a proper Mario launch game??? I would have thought the Ninty first party offering would have been enough to trounce the Xbox, it not like Xbox had exclusives comparable to Ninty's IMO. Most of the games worth a damn were avalaible on PS2. Maybe someone could shed some light, because there was no way that an upstart Xbox division should have toppled GC. It was cheaper had the Ninty characters and the controller was more comftable (not for fighters). Was Halo that good (ok, it was but still). When its all said and done, to me the Gamecube signified the end of an era. The day of dedicated home consoles died.  Now we have web browsers, Espn, HuluPlus, Netflix, Facebook, weather updates, Blurays, photoshops and all kinds of other crap that has little to do with games. Im not mad at it, but IMHO the GC was the last true gaming console. No DVD/Bluray crap, on online, no motion gimmicks. Just 100% gaming. Oh well I liked it.

phantasy star online ep1 2 was my most played gc game and it was an online title.

i think the main reason was it was a core console but due to a silly disk system many key titles couldnt make it like gta, even games like fifa were rubbish on gc

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

@Skeeuk  thats very interesting, I never considered the disc size before. Last gen I was buying most of my multiplats on GC and not PS2 (no Xbox) because they just ran better. Sonic Heroes, Spidermans, etc. I didnt even know that some games on GC had to have features removed, that sucks

oniyide said:

@Skeeuk  thats very interesting, I never considered the disc size before. Last gen I was buying most of my multiplats on GC and not PS2 (no Xbox) because they just ran better. Sonic Heroes, Spidermans, etc. I didnt even know that some games on GC had to have features removed, that sucks

But since so few are aware of that, it wasn't likely a factor, just a result.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Garnett said:
theRepublic said:
Garnett said:

*Sigh* I know it wasnt the FIRST console with online, but it was the first console with GOOD online.

Wouldn't that would be the Dreamcast.

On related note Phantasy Star Online Ep 1 & 2 on Gamecube ended up being one of the better online games of the last generation.  It also sold better on the Gamecube than it did on the Xbox.

Here's some sales data:

GC (USA) - Phantasy Star Online I & II - 188,929
GC (Japan)- Phantasy Star Online I & II - 138,277
Total = 327,206

XBOX (USA)- Phantasy Star Online I & II - 69,814
XBOX (Japan)- Phantasy Star Online I & II - 28,774
Total = 98,588