By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why did Gamecube get served???

It failed because of the mini-disc. Ever since the start of the 5th generation they tried to go to a different approach. This is the price they paid. By releasing a very powerful console; but with a storage medium that only had fraction of the competitors storage medium. Developers only had 32-64MB to work with, while others had at the time an astonishing 700MB to work with on the PS1.

Same goes for the GameCube and PS2. Developers couldn't make their games with just 1.5GB so they went to the PS2 and made games without any real limitations since they worked with a storage medium that gave thm 4 to 8G of memory to work with. This limitation in turn alienated developers who then flocked to the PS2; which then ceased thirdparty support of the GameCube.

Plus one other possible reason why it failed was the lasting impression the previous president of Nintendo had left on japanese developers. During the final years of his presidency, he got into some debates with some of the most popular dev teams in japan. One of them was with Squaresoft. Because they couldn't come to an agreemant with the N64s storage. Square canceled FFVII; the game that could've been on the N64. So how it got released it on the PS1.

Mr. Iwata had to clean up all the mess his predecessor left by patching things up with the companies Yamauchi fought with. If it wasn't for him, the GC would have gotten even less third support. No Crystal Chronicles or anything.

Around the Network

I agree with Metallicube, Gamecube and Xbox were tied for last place.  a few million copies means virtually nothing when first place is One Hundred million copies ahead (and now way more).  You don't squibble over that small difference.  And xbox having to go completely in the red like no system ever before it shows how fierce the competition is even when Nintendo gets last that generation.

Gamecube failed because they were competing with ideals that they never held before.  Nintendo's strongest software was never designed for the hardcore likes of the Halos and Grand Theft Autos.  And yet they chose to compete simply cause that was the direction of the status quo in gaming at the time.  So they competed and ended up with false ideals.  Gamecube was by far Nintendo's best effort in the "cool factor," and they weren't cool with games like Sunshine, Windwaker, Pikmin, Starfox Adventures, or Luigi's Mansion.  They advertised it as being cool, and it even had a really sleek black and purple design.  But the problem was it threw gamers off when they didn't have the best graphics, best online support, or best third party support.

Smash bros. Melee was lucky enough to break through as a hardcore game given it's look.  But of course that series has always been very unique given that it has a casual element to it along with a really hardcore spirit that can be accessed with the right people playing together.  But most games were not in line with what the generation had expected at the time.

It was popular in my age group back then (10-12 year olds).

The game to play was Smash Brothers Melee. 

oniyide said:

@metallicube  for at least, no one was thinking that Xbox would beat the PS2, so that really does not come as a surprise. As for sales, most people dont really give a damn either way. So what if Ninty profitted???? Did either you or me see that money?? So what does it really mattered. IMHO it was the fact that Xbox the new kid on the block was even able to outsell a Ninty console, who have been in the buisness forever. XBox released at a higher price point and did not have the benefit of having any big name games behind it, but it still managed to get 2nd

Ask Sega why it matters.

VGChartz

Kasz216 said:

1) It came out really really late.   When you aren't that different that's an issue.

2) Despite coming out late... Nintendo didn't have all their big guns ready, Mario I belive WASN'T a launch title.  As such it didn't distinguish itself from it's competition.

3)  Microsoft paid people to not release games for it apparently.

I'm wondering if they still aren't doing that. Or if Sony is as well.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

PS2=Black guy

Gamecube= Randy

lmao gamecube got F'ed in the A

Here's adding to the already mentioned reasons  on why both the Xbox and Gamecube  did poorly against the PS2.

• the PS2 had 20 million console head start before the Gamecube or Xbox ever launched
  • at the time of PS2's launch most major name brand DVD players (i.e. Sony, Panasonic, JVC, Phillips ..etc) cost between $249-$349, the PS2 launched for $299.
  • the PS2 was the first console that was truly backwards compatible with their previous generation’s library
  • the PS2 was riding the wave of the PS1's 100 million console sales, while Gamecube was following the N64's 33 million sales
  • the PS2 had crazy unprecedented hype (even parodied by the Simpsons, see below)

Announcer: Krusty the Clown is brought to you by the new Gamestation 256: It's slightly faster...to the max!
Bart: 256. (groan) And I'm stuck with this useless 252? (he drop-kicks the 252 system into the fireplace, where it slowly melts)

I think the Gamecube is an excellent console. Its very affordable, it has fun exclusives, and the multiplatform games load faster and have better frame rates.

Nintendo's consoles/software during the 6th gen actually made more money than Sony's consoles/software during that time period. The Gamecube made money and therefore was a success, simple as that.

Some people may have had higher expectations for the Gamecube, but who really cares? Its great entertainment for 1-4 players and is a great value. What more could a consumer want?

@Milkyjoe  that still has nothing to do with me as a gamer, i didnt work for Sega

oniyide said:

@Milkyjoe  that still has nothing to do with me as a gamer, i didnt work for Sega

Sega was way better as a 1st party developer than as a 3rd party developer IMO (though I think a lot would agree.)