By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why did Gamecube get served???

RolStoppable said:

Things that are commonly mentioned, but aren't actual reasons:

1. Mini discs - The vast majority of games in the sixth generation didn't exceed 1.5 GB, so that really wasn't an issue. Besides, it's not like multi-disc was an impossible option.

2. Lack of DVD playback - In Japan, the Panasonic Q was a Gamecube with DVD playback, didn't help sales. The Xbox had optional DVD playback and that didn't help its sales either.

Thanks Rol. Right on the money.

Around the Network

1) It came out really really late.   When you aren't that different that's an issue.

2) Despite coming out late... Nintendo didn't have all their big guns ready, Mario I belive WASN'T a launch title.  As such it didn't distinguish itself from it's competition.

3)  Microsoft paid people to not release games for it apparently.

Came out late, had a handle sticking out of it's back, lack of DVD drive and using low capacity mini discs instead, and too low a price probably meaning negative perception of it's value. So more due to it's flaws than XB's merits. Personally, I enjoyed the Gamecube a great deal.

PS. the original GameCube is electric indigo, not purple. Didn't get the point across? Fine.

INDIGO, NOT PURPLE.

I think, after reading this, and recalling a lot of old arguments from last gen, I want the ability that Sony had to brainwash people. It was Sony marketing that injected the whole "lol Nintendo is Kiddie" thing. I want that ability to brainwash people and make them all officially stop watching reality television and supporting MTV.

I can haz brainwashing skillz?

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

@foxtail  I think the SF audience done moved on a long time ago. SNES days??? How long ago was that?? IMO i dont think there are that much NINTY fans hanging on hoping to get good SF support. N64 didnt, GC didnt, Wii doesnt. As for the classic controller, that still is not good, cause it requires you to buy another controller. Capcom is not stupid, they look at Ninty's controllers and see that they cant really do much with that. and its not like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom set the charts on fire. oh sure we can make the argument that its not a true SF, but when the Mvs.C3 #s come in and crush it what will be the excuse???

Around the Network

@fps_dominator  first off, not a big Ninty fan, anyone on this site can attest to that. More of a Sony guy, 2nd I see your point about features, but lets get real. Most people had a PS2 and a DVD by this point. So was the DVD playback for GC really that important??? You think thats why xbox did better??? Would that have made you buy a GC despite already having a damn DVD player??? There were special DVD GC in Japan and no one gave a crap over there

What I don't really get though is why people never seem to mention the Xbox's failure against the PS2 and always go straight to the Gamecube. Yes the Gamecube sold poorly, but Xbox only sold a few million more, not to mention costed MS billions of dollars, while Gamecube profited. Yet Gamecube seems to get all the flak for failing against the PS2.

Yes, Xbox had the mega hit Halo, but little else beyond that. And Nintendo had the minor hits of Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, Zelda, Mario Party, Smash Bros Melee, etc..

Casue it got the title of a kids toy. Games like REmake, RE4, Eternal Darkness, Metal Gear Solid are all kids games i guess. It had a very limited online but it was one of the best online games ever Phantasy Star Online. It had the best Zelda games on it cause of the Zelda collection and Wind Waker. Mario Sunshine was a great platformer but not a great mario game. Luigi's Mansion was an exellent launch title. That game blew me away when I first played it. Metroid Prime was an addictive FPS adventure game with great graphics and gameplay. Had every resident evil game on one console at the time. Played gameboy games and the highly adictive Animal Crossing with a great number of NES classics. Pretty good Dreamcast ports (sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi, Skies of Arcadia). VERY VERY comfortable controller. O and how can anyone forget Super Smash Bros Melee. That game made sllepovers fun again. I always find it funny that people claim that the GameCube had no games when they had a very good line. Amazing the effect Halo 2 had on gamers last gen. That was the only GOOD exclusive the xbox had IMO. And it still beat the GameCube. I guess you needed a Grand Theft Auto game to be classified as a good gaming machine last gen.

Right after the gamecube release, out comes GTA3 on the PS2. Then, a couple months later, Halo comes out. The world is in awe with the PS2 and amazed that MS can make a good game & system. Basically, you had to choose whether you wanted GTA3, Halo, or Mario Sunshine.....

@metallicube  for at least, no one was thinking that Xbox would beat the PS2, so that really does not come as a surprise. As for sales, most people dont really give a damn either way. So what if Ninty profitted???? Did either you or me see that money?? So what does it really mattered. IMHO it was the fact that Xbox the new kid on the block was even able to outsell a Ninty console, who have been in the buisness forever. XBox released at a higher price point and did not have the benefit of having any big name games behind it, but it still managed to get 2nd