By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why did Gamecube get served???

foxtail said:
Garnett said:
theRepublic said:
Garnett said:

Well both the PS2 and Xbox did something unique, while the Gamecube, not so much.

Xbox was the first system wtih Online, HDD and Halo.

PS2 had monster exclusives, first console with DVD player and coming out of the PS1 era

Gamecube had, small awkard shaped controler, mario and super small disc...

No innovation from Nintendo that gen.

Xbox was not the first console to have online.

I wish more people would have given that controller a chance.  The GC controller is still the most comfortable controller I have ever held.

*Sigh* I know it wasnt the FIRST console with online, but it was the first console with GOOD online.

Wouldn't that would be the Dreamcast.

On related note Phantasy Star Online Ep 1 & 2 on Gamecube ended up being one of the better online games of the last generation.  It also sold better on the Gamecube than it did on the Xbox.

Here's some sales data:

GC (USA) - Phantasy Star Online I & II - 188,929
GC (Japan)- Phantasy Star Online I & II - 138,277
Total = 327,206

XBOX (USA)- Phantasy Star Online I & II - 69,814
XBOX (Japan)- Phantasy Star Online I & II - 28,774
Total = 98,588

Dreamcast never had a good online system, it may of been the first, but it was no where near Xbox Live. 

Around the Network
Garnett said:

Dreamcast never had a good online system, it may of been the first, but it was no where near Xbox Live. 

It was the first console to include a built-in modem and Internet support for online play.  Yeah it was nowhere as complete as Live  but since it came out 2-3 years before Live existed I'd say it was good for it's time.. or at least a good start.

theRepublic said:
Garnett said:

Well both the PS2 and Xbox did something unique, while the Gamecube, not so much.

Xbox was the first system wtih Online, HDD and Halo.

PS2 had monster exclusives, first console with DVD player and coming out of the PS1 era

Gamecube had, small awkard shaped controler, mario and super small disc...

No innovation from Nintendo that gen.

Xbox was not the first console to have online.

I wish more people would have given that controller a chance.  The GC controller is still the most comfortable controller I have ever held.

I completely agree with that.  I love my Wavebird more than any other controller I have ever used

@lordtheknight  i could see that, but come on the reviews (user and prof.) state when a game is better on what system. I believe SC2 on GC and Xbox reviewed better than the PS2 1. i know for a fact Sonic Heroes did, so are people just letting there bias get in the way of even checking out what GC had to offer

Jumpin said:
Dr.Grass said:
Jumpin said:

Gamecube was aimed at children. Plus the software was fairly unspectacular and uninteresting. Most Nintendo fans got a GBA/DS with a PS2 instead. While you say Gamecube was the last true gaming system (I disagree), it certainly had the weakest catalogue of all of Nintendo's home consoles.

I think I might just hate you for saying that.

I am really surprised that so many people seem to completely forget that Gamecube was notoriously aimed at children. If you went back to any point during the Gamecube's history, EVERYONE knew this. 

The N64 was kind of a bad system too, but at least it had Rare games, although it lost Square and Enix. It also had the best Zelda, a GOOD Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country 64, and a solid Mario game. Plus it had some interesting third party titles like Ogre Battle 64, Space Station Silicon Valley, etc... Gamecube had what? A highly overrated Metroid title, Mario with a water gun, Mario Kart with 5-20 second tracks, a Zelda which looked like a cartoon for todlers, it was purple and looked like a 5 year old kid's lunch box. That is not even a satisfactory launch lineup.

It's strange that EVERYONE knew this because myself and others were convinced that EVERYONE was under a false impression caused by:

- Lack of blatant knowledge like the WHOLE Resident Evil Series being tied exclusively for GC

- Not knowing that Metroid Prime was the  best game of the generation because they either never tried it and became absorbed in one of the most beautifully crafted worlds that BEG to be explored and were alive with dazzling sounds etc, OR (and this might be you) IT WAS TOO HARD FOR THEM SO THEY HAD TO SAY IT SUCKS

- Being SO INCREDIBLY IGNORANT that you would only consider BLOOD GUTS AND VIOLENCE as an adult gaming experience

- Thinking the box has to be green and black and SWARMING with FPS games

- Obvious marketing from competitors

AND WORST OF ALL:
LOUSY IGNORANT FANBOYS WHO HAVE SOME IDEA OF WHAT COOL AND NOT COOL IS AND WONT EVER DARE STEP BEYOND THAT BARRIER FOR FEAR OF HAVING

*GASP*

FUN.

''The N64 was kind of a bad system too''

''A highly overrated Metroid title, Mario with a water gun, Mario Kart with 5-20 second tracks, a Zelda which looked like a cartoon for todlers, it was purple and looked like a 5 year old kid's lunch box. That is not even a satisfactory launch lineup.''

Around the Network
oniyide said:

@lordtheknight  i could see that, but come on the reviews (user and prof.) state when a game is better on what system. I believe SC2 on GC and Xbox reviewed better than the PS2 1. i know for a fact Sonic Heroes did, so are people just letting there bias get in the way of even checking out what GC had to offer

Those games actually sold well on the GC due to those things. But those were not enough to sell the GC itself.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

@Dr. Grass damn man, you pretty much summed up how I feel about the whole GC thing

@lordtheknight  yeah i agree, and your right, if you already had a PS2 (which most gamers had i assume) there was no reason to get a GC just to get some slighty better running games that you can already play on PS2, but i thought that the strength of Ninty games would help it, guess i was wrong. 

oniyide said:

@lordtheknight  yeah i agree, and your right, if you already had a PS2 (which most gamers had i assume) there was no reason to get a GC just to get some slighty better running games that you can already play on PS2, but i thought that the strength of Ninty games would help it, guess i was wrong. 

I gotta say if it had games like Wii Sports or NSMBWii, even without motion controls, it would have been a lot different.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Dr.Grass said:
Jumpin said:
Dr.Grass said:
Jumpin said:

Gamecube was aimed at children. Plus the software was fairly unspectacular and uninteresting. Most Nintendo fans got a GBA/DS with a PS2 instead. While you say Gamecube was the last true gaming system (I disagree), it certainly had the weakest catalogue of all of Nintendo's home consoles.

I think I might just hate you for saying that.

I am really surprised that so many people seem to completely forget that Gamecube was notoriously aimed at children. If you went back to any point during the Gamecube's history, EVERYONE knew this. 

The N64 was kind of a bad system too, but at least it had Rare games, although it lost Square and Enix. It also had the best Zelda, a GOOD Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country 64, and a solid Mario game. Plus it had some interesting third party titles like Ogre Battle 64, Space Station Silicon Valley, etc... Gamecube had what? A highly overrated Metroid title, Mario with a water gun, Mario Kart with 5-20 second tracks, a Zelda which looked like a cartoon for todlers, it was purple and looked like a 5 year old kid's lunch box. That is not even a satisfactory launch lineup.

It's strange that EVERYONE knew this because myself and others were convinced that EVERYONE was under a false impression caused by:

- Lack of blatant knowledge like the WHOLE Resident Evil Series being tied exclusively for GC

- Not knowing that Metroid Prime was the  best game of the generation because they either never tried it and became absorbed in one of the most beautifully crafted worlds that BEG to be explored and were alive with dazzling sounds etc, OR (and this might be you) IT WAS TOO HARD FOR THEM SO THEY HAD TO SAY IT SUCKS

- Being SO INCREDIBLY IGNORANT that you would only consider BLOOD GUTS AND VIOLENCE as an adult gaming experience

- Thinking the box has to be green and black and SWARMING with FPS games

- Obvious marketing from competitors

AND WORST OF ALL:
LOUSY IGNORANT FANBOYS WHO HAVE SOME IDEA OF WHAT COOL AND NOT COOL IS AND WONT EVER DARE STEP BEYOND THAT BARRIER FOR FEAR OF HAVING

*GASP*

FUN.

''The N64 was kind of a bad system too''

''A highly overrated Metroid title, Mario with a water gun, Mario Kart with 5-20 second tracks, a Zelda which looked like a cartoon for todlers, it was purple and looked like a 5 year old kid's lunch box. That is not even a satisfactory launch lineup.''

I actually can't stand FPSs and don't typically play games with lots of blood in them. I know the Gamecube had several games like that; but the way Gamecube fans talk about them is not so much about maturity as it is about "Hey, my games has blood in them. look at me! I'm is so freaking badass! Resident Evil!"

Nintendo really lost their way with the Gamecube. It started on the N64, and Nintendo just slipped away in the home console industry. Luckily they found the right path again with the Wii, it feels more like a Nintendo console than the Gamecube or N64 did. I do think that the Gamecube was probably more of an effort to have a filler console available before they could get their next true effort (the Wii) out of the door.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.