By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Final Fantasy VI will always be better than VII

So because you prefer 2d sprites of ffvi to the 3d in ffvii is must make the 1st one better.

That sounded a little subjective, I for instance prefer the character models in vii than the ones in vi, I wont say vii is better than vi just because of that.

Id just leave this alone, everyone has its favorite FF and pushing so hard which one is better than the others is something I dont find interesting considering both games compared here are great.

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

people love to bash ff7 , never understand that !!!

It's because it's the most popular game of the series and people don't like one game being more popular/praised than there favourite game.

OT:
I disagree, despite FFVII being a huge eyesore on my 42" TV.

I will also disagree when FF VI gets the 3DS Remake, and FF VII gets remade in HD.

twesterm said:

So I was reading an article on Destructoid about [url=http://www.destructoid.com/has-a-classic-videogame-ever-let-you-down--193488.phtml[games that ended up being a let down[/url] and then read through the comments.  Some people brought up FFVII and then Chad brought something up about games that are designed well age better and then mentioned FFVI.  This got me thinking for a moment.

Final Fantasy VI has terrible gameplay, it's broken and boring.  So why is this game designed well and so highly regarded (it's even my favorite game of all time)?  Well, it's beautiful, fantastic music, great characters, and a good story full of twists and turns.  Even if the gameplay in FFVI was good for an RPG, it would age and become outdated but it's those other things that keep it good.

Take Final Fantasy IV as an example.  In its time, it did everything right.  It was groundbreaking to say the least.  Play it today (the original, not the updated DS version) and it doesn't age well at all.  The characters are still likable for the most part, the story isn't bad, but it just doesn't capture you the way it did nearly 20 years ago.  The graphics aren't special and things just feel old.  I admit I played it a while back hoping for some good nostalgia and I came back liking the game a little less.  I still highly respect the game and would never call it bad, but it doesn't hold up in any way today.

Now, for FFVII, it has much of the same problems as IV and more.  The gameplay is just as outdated and bad.  The characters are boring with Cloud being only slightly better than Vaahn and Sephiroth one of the most boring villains of all time.  The story knows it's uninteresting and tries to hide it by making itself confusing.

When VII was released, these things were pretty much forgivable.  We could look past the bland characters and story because of the cutting edge graphics.  Today, we look at the only driving force of that game and it's just plain bad looking.  Just like FFIV, if you play that game again today you'll probably come back liking it a little less even if you had fond memories of it.

So why will FFVI always be better than FFVII then?

We could argue about characters and story all day so lets pretend they're equal.  If they're equal the only things we can look at are gameplay and graphics.  Both games have bad gameplay and rely on other things to carry it.  They're both outdated and were only acceptable at release because we didn't have much better in that type of game.

So then it's graphics.  When FFVII released, the graphics were stunning, today they're embarrassing.  Looking at FFVI, the game actually still has a lot of charm and those sprites will always have that charm.  FFVI had the fortune of releasing at pretty much the height of 2D sprite based games.  FFVII had the misfortune of releasing at the birth of the 3D revolution and will always look bad.

I know we all hate that graphics can affect two good games so much, but that's just the type of people we are.  We can go back and play FFVI and won't be turned off due to the graphics and limitations of the console.  It has a charm and that charm will drive us to continue the game.  We can go back and play FFVII and we'll be turned off by the graphics.  We won't have that thing to carry us through the game and we'll just end up losing that nostalgic feeling.

It's called getting older and JADED.

Everyone! Just enjoy a great game now and then. I promise you'll thank me later.

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

What was your main party in FFVI?

Terra-Bad ass bitch

Mog/Locke- My main men

Cyan-My main man

Sabin-My main man

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

You can't just make a claim and then back it up with unsubstantiated opinions.

As several people throughout the thread have demostrated, you don't seem to have a very good grasp on the gameplay mechanics of FF VI--you're basically functioning under the assumptions that (1) JRPG gameplay is inherently boring and (2) that because you don't enjoy it, FF VI's gameplay is "broken."

Then you go on to call Runic "useless" and Tool "the best". 

Final Fantasy VI is a stronger game than VII and, yes, I agree that this mostly on the strength of its characters and storytelling. But why you have to tack on these wild erroneous assumptions about gameplay is beyond me.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Around the Network

So all I see here is Nintendo fanboys favoring FFVI and PS1/xbox fanboys favoring FFVII. To tell you guys the truth, your opinions have zero effect on me because most of you are not even true FF fans.

Whats a true FF fan? A loser like me who has played them all from start to finish multipule times over the last 15 years. If you qualify, get back to me.

That being said, I have concluded:

FF5 was the least enjoyable in every regard. Worst protagonist.

FF4 and FF6 are equally the best ones out of 1-6.

I can care less that FF1 is the first in the series making it the most "innovative," its not the best FF game.

While 7 was the first 3d one and made an impression, it does not make it the best.

7,8, & 9 graphics are just fine, its what makes it what they are. This is why I don't want any remake, sequel? Maybe.

8 and 13 have the best character designs.

9 has the best soundtrack.

10 has the best story.

13 has the most boring story and battlesystem.

12 has the best sidequest content making it the most valuable. Also the worst soundtrack.

9,10, and 13 have the best art styles - this is how every FF should look like moving on to the future.

My favorite FF is 12 because:

- The story was interesting and not corney like previous FFs.

- Exploration, most people believe the world map in FF 1-9 is "amazing" but its just a landscape of a world you fly through or walk on- I find it stupid and try to move on as fast I can to the next area. Note: FF9 is the only one I enjoyed the world map because of the chocobo quest.

- Sidequests. Hunts, rare monsters, secret dungeons, fetch quests - this game has them all.

- Battlesystem. My favorite, I hope they make another FF with an evolved version of this system.

but the best FINAL FANTASY is 9 because:

- the art style makes it timeless even though the character design is a little too goofy for my taste.

- the story is great from disc 1-3, then it just gets ridiculous and boring.

- the equipment system and learning abilities made this game fun and rewarding to seek battles other than just leveling up.

- decent amount of sidequest that were fun to do.

How did I end up having a favorite and a "best" FF? Its simple really, I want FF12 to be my favorite because I think its the best but that just makes it my favorite. And I have played FF9 over 20 times from star to finish and I don't know why. Oh wait I do, its the best.

FFVI is better because we all are hipsters you see!!

Both games are gaming jewels.

pwin´ every other villain since 1994

noname2200 said:
ethomaz said:

Celes has Runic... one of the best abilities (the best one is Morph)...

Erm, neither of those is how you spell "Blitz."

(Yes I'm derailing, but since I don't really know what half the OP means, I'm okay with that).

Dude, Blitz input is awesome once you figure out how to use it.

1) I deny the underlying assumption of this thread; the design of a game, including its combat system, does not mysteriously deteriorate with age. Standards might not remain the same over time, but that is because they are inherently transient - the current design paradigm is as evanescent as any other. There is no objective metric of quality (of design).

2) While I am by no means averse the great power of storytelling (in) games, I am loath to entertain the notion that any game, particularly one as play-centered as FFVI (or VII, for that matter), could be expected to stand the test of time if its core elements failed to support the overall structure. The game-play of VI might be flawed (nothing is perfect), but not in a way that ruins the fundamental experience (setting aside the fact that VI actually has quite a deep and sophisticated combat system).

3) I direct you to others, who, I feel, have already adequately illustrated why your reasoning with regards to the specifics of VI's purportedly 'broken' game-play is terminally misguided and ultimately fallacious. Pro-tip; want to do something other than spamming attacks (adding an element of timing as well as additional strategic depth to a battle)? Try using Runic.