By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Final Fantasy VI will always be better than VII

Both FFVI and FFVII are awesome Games and if you are on;y playing them for there Graphics then you need to play PC Games not Console Games.

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
Celes useless?!? She's one of the strongest party member you can have! High magic, good overall stats and she's one of the few who can use Illumina and the Atma Weapon. Yes Runic sucks but in the end game every special ability sucks, Edgar's tools are worthless in Kefka's tower.

Runic saved me in almost all bosses in the Kefka's Tower.

Sucks? I don't think so.

To expand on FFIV vs. FFVI. While I still prefer FFVI, I always felt it was a shame how in the end every character ended up being relatively the same due to the fact that everyone could learn all spells with the Magicites.

No one felt special, that's something I loved about FFIV, each character is so unique and you feel like you've acheived something when Rosa learns White or Rydia learns Meteo, in FFVI when someone learns Ultima, you just pass the Magicite around.

Signature goes here!

Khuutra said:
twesterm said:

And still, that's all irrelevant the original point.  Going back to those old games poses a significant danger of destroying that nostalgia.  FFVI has held up because the gameplay wasn't what made, but the beautiful sprite work, story, music, and characters what kept it good.  FFVII just looks so bad it doesn't have that luxury even if all the other stuff is good.

Your original point doesn't have any grounded basis, though, because FFVI still plays excellently, easily standing next to any pseudo-traditional JRPG's gameplay, and is almost a match for how well FFIV plays.

Yeah, but traditional JRPG gameplay isn't that good.  It's that hurry up and wait type gameplay with all the strategy set in menus before the fight and then mindlessly mashing A during the fight (and you may have used things like Runic and survived with no trouble, but I also survived with no trouble by mainly relying on input memory).

The thing FFIV had on FFVI was that every character felt different.  By the time you're through with FFVI, there are some characters that are better than others but they pretty much largely feel the same.  You have Gogo, Sabin, Edgar, good magic magic users, and bad magic users (well, and Umary when you're in the Fanatics Tower).  You don't really have a need to use those things that make the characters feel different because they are either bad, not worth the effort, or the spells you have is just better.  In gameplay at least, FFVI essentially shrunk the cast of 14 or so characters into five.

ethomaz said:
TruckOSaurus said:
Celes useless?!? She's one of the strongest party member you can have! High magic, good overall stats and she's one of the few who can use Illumina and the Atma Weapon. Yes Runic sucks but in the end game every special ability sucks, Edgar's tools are worthless in Kefka's tower.

Runic saved me in almost all bosses in the Kefka's Tower.

Sucks? I don't think so.

Liar! Celes can't be in your 3 parties :P

Personally I use Runic only in fight designed specially to make you use Runic at the beginning of the game. I usually rely on good weapons (Atma, Illumina), 4 Genji Gloves and magic.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:

ethomaz said:

Runic saved me in almost all bosses in the Kefka's Tower.

Sucks? I don't think so.

Personally I use Runic only in fight designed specially to make you use Runic at the beginning of the game. I usually rely on good weapons (Atma, Illumina), 4 Genji Gloves and magic.

She can... my main party is with Celes.

PS. That a random image from web... my main party is: Terra, Locke, Sabin and Celes.

Christian973 said:

Why? Because of this:

AND THIS:

Wow!!! Amazing!

Final Fantasy VI is the perfection.

ethomaz said:
TruckOSaurus said:

ethomaz said:

Sucks? I don't think so.

PS. That a random image from web... my main party is: Terra, Locke, Sabin and Celes.

Well you were talking about the bosses in Kefka's Tower in which you have to make three different parties, thus making it impossible for you to have Celes in all three.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
ethomaz said:
TruckOSaurus said:

ethomaz said:

Sucks? I don't think so.

Well you were talking about the bosses in Kefka's Tower in which you have to make three different parties, thus making it impossible for you to have Celes in all three.

LOL... yeah... you got me.

it's the first time i ever head someone say the gameplay of VI is bad and boring. seriously?