By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Red Steel 2. WTH happened???

jlauro said:

I am sure if COD and other FPS sold more on the Wii, there would be more coming to the Wii.  Given that the last one which was least crippled (came out same time as 360/PS3, etc...) is tracking behind the previous it's not looking good compared to other consoles.  It will probably break 1M, but unlikely to reach 1.5.

Except before the FPS releases on the Wii dried up, the sales were as good on the other systems, as we saw with Call of Duty 3. This is a self-fulfilled lack of market, but it can still be rectified, just they won't.

As long as gamers think the games are either not on the Wii or not worth buying, they won't buy the games. The developers have to make games we want to buy. The few times a Wii game is percieved as superior (like Goldeneye to Blood Stone, regardless of the actual content of the games), then the Wii game sells better.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

@jlauro  1-2 mil sales for a game with an install base of 80 mil is NOT good, i dont care how cheap they are to make. Which goes back to why some people might think its not even really worth it too port. Alot of people like to use the RE4 argument, but IMHO I think the PS2 sales of that game is much more impressive. not that the Wii version was bad.

@lordtheknight  Im not trying to say they shoule buy whatever, im saying the excuse people make for games flopping is that the competition is too stiff. I could see that, but the Wii has no such reason, I gotta wonder what Wii owners do. Its not like there is a slew of FPS, Fighters, etc on WIi, so what do they do to get their fix?? do they say screw it and go back to playing Mario Kart or do they just go to a friends house? It has to be a two way street, you say that there are lack of those games on Wii, well they dont buy the games that ARE their so why would I developer waste anymore time. YOu cant say that Wii gamers dont buy these games cause there just not that good and then go to say there arent enough games. If they suck that bad you wont support them no matter how much they are. Devs waste time and money and gamers get games they dont like.

THe sales for FPSs on Wii were NEVER like the HDs thats crap pure and simple. COD3 did better than the PS3 version but still paled in comparison to the 360. thats just one game. What happened to WAW??? What happened to Black Ops?? The MOHs sold like crap on Wii (with good reason), no one really cared for Conduit. THe fact is that your gonna get maybe 1.5 mil sales for FPSs on Wii and thats IF they are actually good. Contrast that to what HDs games usually do and you can see why publishers arent rushing to push that genre on WIi. The audience for that has just not GROWN, where on PS3 it has despite it used to getting inferior ports to its HD rival

"im saying the excuse people make for games flopping is that the competition is too stiff. I could see that, but the Wii has no such reason"

Well I personally don't think that is the reason anyway. If a game flops on those, it either didn't have the appeal, or cost too much money for the appeal it had.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

oniyide said:

@amp316  thats all well and good, but I dont think its that simple, look at Bioshock that sold well, hell Medal of Honor Frontline was the most successful title in that series and that game (the PS2 version) had NO kind of multi. How does one explain that???

The Wii is different then those consoles.  Most people that own the Wii own it because they want a great multiplayer experince since it's looked at as more of a "party machine", which is fine since it's biggest reason for selling.  Let's put it this way, as great of a game as Bioshock is, it wouldn't do well on the Wii without multiplayer.  

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

A well reviewed game that had a pretty good marketing campaign, a free Wii accessory bundled in with every copy (motion plus) at launch and it was being released to a market that was in need of a more interesting title outside of the standard shovelware and random Nintendo game and it still bombed. I still blame the audience. Forum goers have been crying over the apparent lack of effort being shown by Third Parties and when one of them does make a legitimate effort to produce a quality title for the Wii, it falls and burns and as soon as the first month of sales come in, Wii fans all over the internet suddenly turn on the title and start shitting on it, only to hide that it was a good third party game that failed on the Wii.

The people who brought up Zelda, Donkey Kong, Golden Eye, Resident Evil, Mario and Monster Hunter as examples that 'hardcore' games can sell on the Wii, are you really referencing some of the largest names and franchises in gaming as examples that new 'hardcore' titles can sell on a platform? PSP software sales are dead and even Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker could still pull in over a million sales just on the name. The same audience that buys Zelda, Golden Eye and Donkey Kong aren't going to be the same people that buy No More Heroes, Deadly Creatures and Muramasa. 

The poster who brought up Bionic Commando, Nier, Dark Void and Lost Planet 2 should also probably understand that three out of those four titles received no marketing at all, 2 out of those four were repeatedly delayed, all of them outsold Red Steel 2 and all of them are games that were reviewed unfavorably and thrown to an audience that has seen hundreds of similar games on their platforms already and many of them are of much higher quality. The only issue that Red Steel 2 suffered from that was similar to the above titles is that it was delayed once in 2009. Enslaved would have been a better example of a well reviewed game that got some decent marketing in the UK (or so I've read) and legitametly bombed, even though there have been very few games with a similar concept. Games bomb on all platforms, but I've seen far more quality games bomb on the Wii, than I have on the HD consoles.

Again, I'll add that I like to debate and I sometimes make silly arguments to start these debates, so please don't jump down my throat, I just enjoy reading well thought out posts and hopefully come up with a witty enough response  to cover my ass when my argument is shredded to pieces.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network

@amp316  your right sometimes i forget how different the Wii is, I would say its sad that some gamers rather play a piece of crap with multi than an actually game put with some effort that has no multi, but this is the home of Just Dance. With that being said i wonder why people complain that they dont get any good core games. Stop buying the crappy ones and support the good ones.

@Doobie Wop  ive noticed that alot, everytime something doesnt do that well, every excuse in the book comes out. Conduit was supposed to be the FPS savior for Wii, (ok, that game wasnt all that). COD is always being "gimped" on WIi, but now we have one that isnt, same day release and now its "but, everyone else bought GE" even if you combined the sales of the two (which is crap) it still pales in comparision to the HDs

oniyide said:

@amp316  your right sometimes i forget how different the Wii is, I would say its sad that some gamers rather play a piece of crap with multi than an actually game put with some effort that has no multi, but this is the home of Just Dance. With that being said i wonder why people complain that they dont get any good core games. Stop buying the crappy ones and support the good ones.

@Doobie Wop  ive noticed that alot, everytime something doesnt do that well, every excuse in the book comes out. Conduit was supposed to be the FPS savior for Wii, (ok, that game wasnt all that). COD is always being "gimped" on WIi, but now we have one that isnt, same day release and now its "but, everyone else bought GE" even if you combined the sales of the two (which is crap) it still pales in comparision to the HDs

I really don't see why FPS games have to sell as well on every bloody console in existence. I'm quite happy that there's a userbase out there that's ignoring the genre because it's already bloated with success elsewhere. Nor do I see why FPS is the barometer for hardcore success, given that the most successful FPS games are successful on the back of casual appeal anyway.

Some traditional genres sell better on Wii than HD, and vice versa, it's just the way it is. Quite why it needs a big inquisition every time is beyond me.

The notion that Wii fans are the only ones coming up with excuses for games bombing is also ridiculous (especially when a list of excuses for games like Dark Void was then given...). Go take a look at this weeks sales threads for a debate about a year late port of ME2, which incidentally is selling about as well as some hardcore Wii games also ported from other consoles that were considered flops...

Furthermore, Ubisoft wanted 500k lifetime (not in a month, not in a year... lifetime) for Red Steel 2. They possibly will get this eventually, or miss it by all of <50k. So what's the problem? Are we to start a thread whenever a game misses it's lifetime sales target by less than 100k? Because you'll be making a lot of threads...

VGChartz

"A well reviewed game that had a pretty good marketing campaign, a free Wii accessory bundled in with every copy (motion plus) at launch"

Reviews don't always work on any system, there was NOT a good marketing campaign (bad ads were already brought up), and the bundle cost more.

So you're blaming the audience based on false facts.

I loved it, but it had a lot of things working against it.

Bad brand recognition and bare bones game design being the most egregious mistakes imo.  I also think the controls were too complex for casuals.

TheGameFather said:

I loved it, but it had a lot of things working against it.

Bad brand recognition and bare bones game design being the most egregious mistakes imo.  I also think the controls were too complex for casuals.

Or too complex period. Swings have to come too fast when comparing the body mass of the human arm to the thumb. Again, it's treating the motion controls like button combos, which just makes you sore, even if you do get used to it.