By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Red Steel 2. WTH happened???

LordTheNightKnight said:
TheGameFather said:

I loved it, but it had a lot of things working against it.

Bad brand recognition and bare bones game design being the most egregious mistakes imo.  I also think the controls were too complex for casuals.

Or too complex period. Swings have to come too fast when comparing the body mass of the human arm to the thumb. Again, it's treating the motion controls like button combos, which just makes you sore, even if you do get used to it.

I can't completely disagree.  Its certainly tough to pick up and play after a few months of forgetting all the specials.

I don't think I had any trouble with the blocking though, that worked well for me.   And I don't think I ever got sore either but I tend to play games in short sessions, an hour or so at the most these days.

Around the Network

There is more than one level of difficulty with RS2, so not sure I understand the complaints.  Maybe you should of went to easy if things were too comlex.

Halo 2's single player is about as long as RS2, but it's all about the multiplayer.  The problem is RS 2 doesn't have the multiplayer to fall back on.  It really should of been about twice as long.

@scorptile  Medal of Honor Frontline and Bioshock says hello, those games sold millions with just single player, how do you explain that???

@Lordtheknight  GE is great, best FPS on WIi not called COD: BOs, but to play devils advocate that game came too late and its just one of the good Wii FPSs. A game like that should have been a launch game or at least released no later than 08 when it could have established a fanbase. IMHO i dont think the Wii will get a "perfect" FPS but GE comes damn close.

@rolstoppable just because people dont agree with your thoughts doesnt mean it was ignored, but if thats how you feel then, thats that.  As for Enslaved, it didnt get that much advertising itself. and it came out with ass loads of competition. 

oniyide said:

@scorptile  Medal of Honor Frontline and Bioshock says hello, those games sold millions with just single player, how do you explain that???

@Lordtheknight  GE is great, best FPS on WIi not called COD: BOs, but to play devils advocate that game came too late and its just one of the good Wii FPSs. A game like that should have been a launch game or at least released no later than 08 when it could have established a fanbase. IMHO i dont think the Wii will get a "perfect" FPS but GE comes damn close.

@rolstoppable just because people dont agree with your thoughts doesnt mean it was ignored, but if thats how you feel then, thats that.  As for Enslaved, it didnt get that much advertising itself. and it came out with ass loads of competition. 

I agree. GE is what the Wii should have had at launch or 2008.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

@Rol  Again you put words in my mouth, show me where I said that it WASNT the games fault, all you did was bring up Enslaved and all i said was that that game had little advertisement as well, at least about as much as RS2, advertisement has nothing to do with the quality of the game.  I never said RS2 wasnt repetitive, show me where I disagreed with that point at any time.  I think that its a good game that deserves better sales, and if you wasnt just cherry picking posts that agree with you, you would see that there are actually other posters who like the game, so dont act like your opinion is "fact" and anyone is disagrees is wrong.

Around the Network

Most people I actually know who tried Red Steel II thought it was a fine game. Still a bit rough and could use a couple of tweaks to some of its concepts, but on the whole, really good. Only one I know didn't care for it, but he is someone who hates all motion controls on concept alone and only plays FPS-like games on PC.

The bigger point though has little to do with the quality of the game, I think. (Though putting RSII on the same level as Deadly Creatures and Madworld is a seriously disingenous argument. Its relative quality in all areas is much higher than those two games, even if it's still not a AAA game itself.)

Rather, Red Steel II was doomed because the hardcore ship has already sailed on the Wii. Most people have a 360 or PS3 at this point, and for the average gamer there's no attraction, I suspect, in playing what is basically a hardcore game with worse graphics and lack of online functions on the Wii. Even well done and innovative motion controls aren't enough; they've already been burned and turned off permanently by the avalanche of crappy shovelware and failed attempts at core games. Wii has a bad taste.

People will still buy Nintendo games because those are unique enough they can't get a similar experience anywhere else. And Nintendo tends to make games that look and run suberbly well on the Wii due to art direction and technology. A Mario Galaxy game may as well be a 360 game at a lower resolution (the fantasy art style doesn't need more polygons and better textures to look great.)

But, I don't know if Wii games aimed at the core gamer can hack it (pun not intended) anymore. On the other hand, one must ask if million sales  are entirely neccessary. Capcom recently said that Tatsunoko Vs Capcom didn't sell millions, but it did make a profit and thus, was justified on the Wii. Did Ubisoft really spend that much on Red Steel II, especially with no parallel development of a multiplayer side?

Squeakthedragon said:

Most people I actually know who tried Red Steel II thought it was a fine game. Still a bit rough and could use a couple of tweaks to some of its concepts, but on the whole, really good. Only one I know didn't care for it, but he is someone who hates all motion controls on concept alone and only plays FPS-like games on PC.

The bigger point though has little to do with the quality of the game, I think. (Though putting RSII on the same level as Deadly Creatures and Madworld is a seriously disingenous argument. Its relative quality in all areas is much higher than those two games, even if it's still not a AAA game itself.)

Rather, Red Steel II was doomed because the hardcore ship has already sailed on the Wii. Most people have a 360 or PS3 at this point, and for the average gamer there's no attraction, I suspect, in playing what is basically a hardcore game with worse graphics and lack of online functions on the Wii. Even well done and innovative motion controls aren't enough; they've already been burned and turned off permanently by the avalanche of crappy shovelware and failed attempts at core games. Wii has a bad taste.

People will still buy Nintendo games because those are unique enough they can't get a similar experience anywhere else. And Nintendo tends to make games that look and run suberbly well on the Wii due to art direction and technology. A Mario Galaxy game may as well be a 360 game at a lower resolution (the fantasy art style doesn't need more polygons and better textures to look great.)

But, I don't know if Wii games aimed at the core gamer can hack it (pun not intended) anymore. On the other hand, one must ask if million sales  are entirely neccessary. Capcom recently said that Tatsunoko Vs Capcom didn't sell millions, but it did make a profit and thus, was justified on the Wii. Did Ubisoft really spend that much on Red Steel II, especially with no parallel development of a multiplayer side?

It's not the avalanche of shovelware or the graphics. The PS2 had both last gen, but ALSO had loads of support for the other kinds of games. It's that which cause RSII to lose attention. Gamers don't think these kinds of games are even on the Wii at all.

The only ship that saled was developers, not the gamers. Gamers will buy more FPS on the Wii when it's clear they are getting more. It can still happen, since Goldeneye and Black Ops are selling faster than previous Wii FPS (and note how CoD is not only the most consistent selling Wii FPS, but also the most consistently released FPS, which is not a coincidence).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Couldn't find my post so.

I ignored redsteel (2) because it didn't have multiplayer- any.

I got back into following it up until its release because of it supporting wii motion plus.

I like it. I think I even tried it. I never bought it.

I still look forward to red steel 3 even though the developer warned that if red steel 2 didn't sell well enough they weren't even going to bother. (might have been the reporter's slant on it but it sounded like negative reinforcement- a threat of sorts) Makes sense of course. That they wouldn't want to try if it wasn't a sure thing.

In comparison, Monster hunter tri, I tried and liked. They prepared a demo CD to try out and I loved it instantly.

So you could say a demo would have helped to attract customers. The online community helped me stay in the game longer and I still pick it up and play once in a while.  I look forward to buying their new interation of the game if it comes out for the wii or even the 3ds.

A hunch but I feel like before the wii was going to be launched it was going to be a videogame system- the third-party launch titles almost made that believable. But when it became popular- it was the 'wii' and only the "wii".

Most games don't act as though the wiimote nunchuck could function as a dual analog controller (that both analogs could be access at the same time the buttons are!)

Most games don't require coordination to use all the functions of the controller at once. (I guess not a big deal but would still be nice to justify something only this controller could do)

Most games don't have specific functions for the sound feedback of the controller (anyone remember killer mode in the first red steel?)

The controller itself has flash memory and the system has internet access. Why isn't there a game that has our mii's exploring the internet pulling data from the vast troves of the web and keeping tabs on it on our controllers?

A little off topic you might say, but maybe red steel 2 didn't do so hot because it was a wii game instead of a game for the wii?

Monster hunter made use of the internet connection and you can store you character on the wiimote. it was a game that by itself was great and it just happened to be for the wii so they chose to use the strengths of the system and the controller.

By comparison it makes red steel 2 look like another testing ground for the wiimotion plus.

...thinking about multiplayer, I still think that's the strongest reason people resisted it. a two player sword fighting match is all people wanted this generation. Red steel 2 was a tease in this sense.

platomaker said

...thinking about multiplayer, I still think that's the strongest reason people resisted it. a two player sword fighting match is all people wanted this generation. Red steel 2 was a tease in this sense.

And I still demand a Motion Plus lightsaber dueling game!

LordTheNightKnight said:
Squeakthedragon said:

It's not the avalanche of shovelware or the graphics. The PS2 had both last gen, but ALSO had loads of support for the other kinds of games. It's that which cause RSII to lose attention. Gamers don't think these kinds of games are even on the Wii at all.

The only ship that saled was developers, not the gamers. Gamers will buy more FPS on the Wii when it's clear they are getting more. It can still happen, since Goldeneye and Black Ops are selling faster than previous Wii FPS (and note how CoD is not only the most consistent selling Wii FPS, but also the most consistently released FPS, which is not a coincidence).

I think that the gamers went to the HD consoles when they saw the massive piles of shovelware on the Wii in 07. I doubt that the developers "sailed the ship" away from the Wii because over half of western devs never supported the Wii at all outside of shovelware (Epic Games anyone?). Another thing that supports what I'm saying is that few core franchises sell on Wii. Those franchises are COD, Resident Evil, and EA Sports sims. 

One last thing is that the 1st Red Steel ws crappy. It's possible that gamers bought that with their Wiis at launch and realized how crappy it was and it scared them away from the Wii altogether.