By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Red Steel 2. WTH happened???

The original Red Steel was IMO a piece of crap, graphics were meh, story was meh, controls were crap and the reviews werent hot and it still managed to do more than a mil. fast forward, we have Red Steel 2 which improved upon the original in just about every way. Ok so there was no online but I believe a game should be able to stand on the strength of its single player and the original's online was not exactly COD caliber, hell its not even MOH on PSP caliber. and the setting was....wonky, but the gameplay was superb. Its the only FPS type game i played on Wii that i feel just works, never ever had an issue with the controls which is more than I can say for most of the games I played.

So what happened??? Did people feel burned by the first one?? Should have read the damn reviews, the quality of the game was in big neon letters. The 2nd one got much better reviews, user and company wide than the first, are people just not reading them or not really caring??? Motion plus a problem??? Why it was neccessary to get the most quality control out of the game, it would have been worst without it and you would think out of all those people who bought Sports resort at least a million of those would be interested in this. No ads??? BS if your a gamer you dont need ads to tell you when a game is out. YOu visit websites post on forums so your in the know, whats the real reason why people didnt support this, YOU knew it existed and those Wii FIt/Sports crowd would not buy this game anyway so no amount of TV ads would get them to buy it. missed the holidays??? people have jobs, since when did people only buy games around x-mas, especially the core.

Im not making this thread because im flamebaiting, i really im curious about why this game flopped. Some Wii owners complain about either getting to much half assed games and not enough good ones, and when a good one comes along, no one buys it. THey wonder why they just put out dance and exercise games all year long. Motion+ gets barely any support and I dont see that changing ever. Im really peeved because we probably wont see a followup not with these #s. if Ubisoft does decide to do another they just need to make it multiplat, i think that will be better

Around the Network

Apparently 800k people stole it.

And the commercials were absolutely ridiculous. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ok2VEGqP20

But imo it was primarily Monster Hunter 3 that did it. I bought that, instead of RS2, and i spent months playing it.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

they should *hint*move*hint* it to a different platform

@megaman79  I didnt even know there was a commercial and it is ridiculous, damn pirates and as for Monster Hunter was never really a fan of that series even when it was PSP exclusive. but to each his own at least your support some good 3rd party game

@newcloud  dont let them hear you say that

People that complained about lack of games like that, bought it (400 000 copies)

Rest of Wii customers dont even know about RS2 existence, they are younger audience, they dont read reviews or look at forums.

Casual games advertised in tv (Just Dance), well known Nintedo franchises (Mario, DK) and everything with Wii in title sels well.

Around the Network

^^^ are you saying that the market for this kind of game on Wii is just not that large??? Not that i disagree but out of a 80mil only 400,00 care??? One would have to ask bother why even try???? Because ive have seen alot of complaning from Wii owners in particular about why they dont get certain games.

@rol  quality is subjective, I found the game to be great and it has alot of favorably reviews from the industry and users alike, so you might be in the minority when it comes to saying it is a bad game.  How was Red Steel 1 dissapointing?? It sold more than 1 mil, critically yeah, as I said from what I played it wasnt very enjoyable but thats me

The continuing succes of Just Dance made them decide to use all the marketing budget from RS2 to JD... money well spend I say.. JD provided me with lots of hours of fun.. way more the RS2..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

It's a good game, with great sword play and attacks, I wouldn't really call it a shooter though. And like you, I really haven't got a clue why no more people buy this game? I've seen it really cheap in some shops.

True story: Was having fun playing it one late night during the holidays, when my father walks in the living room, interested by the awesome gameplay he asks to give it a shot. He picks up the controller and starts a new game... while walking into the Dojo, he falls through the floor into an infinite void. LOL, I couldn't stop laughing, great QA from Ubisoft!!! Damn frogs :D

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

@Nikkom  that goes without saying, why try make some "core" game when you can make an easy buck of JD at half the cost. I personally cant stand Just Dance, the inaccuracy killed it for me, but I heard the 2nd one is miles better so I might check for that