By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Red Steel 2. WTH happened???

Enslaved for HD with higher production values and a longer single player experience sold less than half a million combing the sales of two HD consoles.  Don't try to say the Wii doesn't sell because Wii owners don't care when clearly their are issues with Red Stell 2.  Good games for the Wii do sell well.

Around the Network

I think "core" games(or whatever the hell you call it) can sell on the Wii. All three consoles have had their hits and misses. It's just that people notice it more on the Wii because it has far less "core" games being released while the HD consoles have them coming monthly.

I find it hard to believe that out of 84 million people that own a Wii there aren't AT LEAST 3 million that are interested in those kinds of games.

-PaNdOrA- said:

I think "core" games(or whatever the hell you call it) can sell on the Wii. All three consoles have had their hits and misses. It's just that people notice it more on the Wii because it has far less "core" games being released while the HD consoles have them coming monthly.

I find it hard to believe that out of 84 million people that own a Wii there aren't AT LEAST 3 million that are interested in those kinds of games.

They just are neglected and ignored by most third parties. Zelda showed that these kinds of games can appeal if they are truly appealing, not because it's made by Nintendo.

RS2 wasn't that appealing. I got the game, but lack of multiplayer, a weak single player, and swordfighting that tries to swap motions for button combinations (or button mashing in the early battles) made it not as fun for me as it could have been. It's not bad, and it's at least a sincere effort, but it's not what it could have been.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

@amp316  thats all well and good, but I dont think its that simple, look at Bioshock that sold well, hell Medal of Honor Frontline was the most successful title in that series and that game (the PS2 version) had NO kind of multi. How does one explain that???

@pandora  thats kind of my point, there are so many games on HDs that it is understandable that some might flop. I mean you cant buy all the games, so you have to go with what is the safest for you. Enslaved was a new IP and was released with some heavy competition around that time. THe Wii does not have that problem since are not that many "core" games on Wii by comparison, so I have to wonder why would these games fail on WIi??? its not like there are alot of options, either the Wii audience just does not care or its possible that maybe a good amount of Wii owners have another console and just buy core games for that. (thats what i do) and comparing Zelda an IP to RS2 yeah, dont think so. Zelda sells cause its called Zelda, lets be real, just like Final Fantasy

Around the Network
oniyide said:

@pandora  thats kind of my point, there are so many games on HDs that it is understandable that some might flop. I mean you cant buy all the games, so you have to go with what is the safest for you. Enslaved was a new IP and was released with some heavy competition around that time. THe Wii does not have that problem since are not that many "core" games on Wii by comparison, so I have to wonder why would these games fail on WIi??? its not like there are alot of options, either the Wii audience just does not care or its possible that maybe a good amount of Wii owners have another console and just buy core games for that. (thats what i do) and comparing Zelda an IP to RS2 yeah, dont think so. Zelda sells cause its called Zelda, lets be real, just like Final Fantasy

I think a good amount of them have an HD console and won't take the risk because they just don't trust the "core" Wii games. I think the situation would've been better if we we had some way to download demos like the PS3 and 360 do. That way people would know if the game is for them or not. Also, another problem is that a large chunk have pirated Wiis so that doesn't really help :b

oniyide said:

You're going by the "because there is less, the customers should buy anything they can get" logic, which does not work this way.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

There is a market for core games on the Wii, but looking at the sales it looks like publishers can only expect about 1-2 million world wide for a decent game (no serious flaws like short single player or lack of multiplayer, etc...) on the Wii dispite it's install base.  Now a really good bridge game that appeals to core and casuals can go over 5.

That said, the cost to produce a good game for the Wii should generally be less due to the lower detail neded for all the graphics.  However the games typically sell for $10 less, so that probably balances out...

jlauro said:

There is a market for core games on the Wii, but looking at the sales it looks like publishers can only expect about 1-2 million world wide for a decent game (no serious flaws like short single player or lack of multiplayer, etc...) on the Wii dispite it's install base.  Now a really good bridge game that appeals to core and casuals can go over 5.

That said, the cost to produce a good game for the Wii should generally be less due to the lower detail neded for all the graphics.  However the games typically sell for $10 less, so that probably balances out...

I still say the market is due to lack of games like that period. More games=people knowning the games are there=they will buy them.

I mean, it can't be just a coincidence that the total FPS sales on the Wii and the number of FPS games on the Wii are both low.

I am sure if COD and other FPS sold more on the Wii, there would be more coming to the Wii.  Given that the last one which was least crippled (came out same time as 360/PS3, etc...) is tracking behind the previous it's not looking good compared to other consoles.  It will probably break 1M, but unlikely to reach 1.5.