By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

*Rare VS Retro*

Rare 107 35.20%

Retro 194 63.82%

Total:301

IMO DKCR > DK Country 1 - 3 and 64.

Infer from that what you will

Around the Network

retro>rare but i wanna see them make a new ip well an ip lol.

The conversation has been done. You cant compare old rare to new rare. They do different things. Retro and Rare do different things. Could Retro create the firmware for Kinect that is at its current level? Who the hell knows all I know is Rare has done it.

Quit comparing things you can't

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

I think your question in the title and the OP are different.

Today looking at modern Rare and modern Retro. I'd have to choose Retro hands down. They have proven themselves capable of taking on some of Nintendo's biggest IP's in a AAA fashion. While at the same time Rare has failed to churn out a successful game in almost a decade. Retor beats Rare hands down.

However if your comparing past Rare to present Retro, then I think Rare would win. Rare created new IP's something Retro has yet to do. They were able to create Banjo, BattleToads, Conker....etc....etc... They also did an amazing job with the DKC series, while DKC:R is great I still think the origional Donkey Kong Country games were more enjoyable.

Now it might be nostalga influencing my decision, but former Rare in my opinion was better then current Retro. But current Rare doesn't come near current Retro! Hope you understand my logic.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

The Prime games are better than anything Rare ever created.

And DKCR is only topped by Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, and DKC 2.

Around the Network
Boutros said:

That's rather insulting for Rareware to be compared to Retro.

No. There's nothing insulting about being compared to the developer with the best classic-to-crap ratio this side of Team Ico.

Are you insane? Rare was in a whole other league compared to Retro. You're talking about some company that has a small handful of games, to a company which both pioneered and revolutionized the industry.

* Retro has produced only 4 games in 10 years. In that amount of time Rare produced 51 games; between 1991 and 2000.

* Retro's most acclaimed title is a console FPS; it didn't really bring anything to the genre; Rare created the Console FPS genre with Goldeneye 007, and also revolutionized the PC genre which borrowed many things from Goldeneye. Goldeye's sales also outdo Retro's three Metroid titles combined. Goldeneye was a overall a WAY bigger game than Metroid Prime.

* Retro's most commercially successful title is Donkey Kong Country Returns, a series created by Rare; and at the time of DKC, more than 15 years ago, Rare was experimenting with pre-rendering techniques that allowed for the SNES to produce 24-bit colour images; it was a ground breaking technique which led to such titles such as Resident Evil 2 and Final Fantasy 7, among many other games. Retro's DKC doesn't bring anything new to the table. Rare has many more titles that were more commercially successful than DKCR.

Comparing Retro to Rare is the same as comparing Fox Animation Studios to Disney when it comes to animated films.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

Are you insane? Rare was in a whole other league compared to Retro. You're talking about some company that has a small handful of games, to a company which both pioneered and revolutionized the industry.

* Retro has produced only 4 games in 10 years. In that amount of time Rare produced 51 games; between 1991 and 2000.

* Retro's most acclaimed title is a console FPS; it didn't really bring anything to the genre; Rare created the Console FPS genre with Goldeneye 007, and also revolutionized the PC genre which borrowed many things from Goldeneye. Goldeye's sales also outdo Retro's three Metroid titles combined. Goldeneye was a overall a WAY bigger game than Metroid Prime.

Comparing Retro to Rare is the same as comparing Fox Animation Studios to Disney when it comes to animated films.

I wouldn't be so harsh, but in essence this post sums it up.

I'm also surprised to see that people are praising DKCR over DKC1 and my favourite platformer of all time DKC2. 

I simply think the two companies are not comparable.  By 2002 or 2003 when rare's decline began, they were already a 20 year old company, having delivered smash hits on all nintendo consoles.  Retro still has another 8 years to go, so let's see where they stand when that period elapses. 

Apart from that, retro isn't working in a very competitive market.  People only bother to buy retro and nintendo games for the wii, whilst in the SNES era rare was running against capcom, konami and other big developers.  This probably forced rare into pushing the envelope technically and gamplaywise a bit more than retro.  Don't get me wrong, gamplay and innovation were fantastic in MP1, but I feel that the second and third were slighty stale in comparison. 

RolStoppable said:
AussieGecko said:

The conversation has been done. You cant compare old rare to new rare. They do different things. Retro and Rare do different things. Could Retro create the firmware for Kinect that is at its current level? Who the hell knows all I know is Rare has done it.

Quit comparing things you can't

Rare still made games throughout the entire last decade. It's not like they were just doing NXE avatars and Kinect firmware.

Not saying otherwise but if you are talking about what Rare has done NXE avatars and firmware cannot be discounted, that would have taken a lot of time. People are bitching that Rare isn't doing more than one game a year. They are busy doing other things.

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Jumpin said:

* Retro's most commercially successful title is Donkey Kong Country Returns, a series created by Rare; and at the time of DKC, more than 15 years ago, Rare was experimenting with pre-rendering techniques that allowed for the SNES to produce 24-bit colour images; it was a ground breaking technique which led to such titles such as Resident Evil 2 and Final Fantasy 7, among many other games. Retro's DKC doesn't bring anything new to the table. Rare has many more titles that were more commercially successful than DKCR.

well said!