By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

*Rare VS Retro*

Rare 107 35.20%

Retro 194 63.82%

Total:301
Ninpanda said:
Boutros said:

That's rather insulting for Rareware to be compared to Retro.

No. There's nothing insulting about being compared to the developer with the best classic to crap ratio this side of Team Ico.

Wut?

Comparing the new Rare vs the current Retro is okay but one has to remember that neither DKCR nor Metroid Prime would be alive if it weren't from Rareware's DKC and Goldeneye. They were la crème de la crème.

Around the Network
AussieGecko said:
fwap said:

I don't think anyone's mad that Nintendo let Rare go when they did, why should they be when Rare was already way passed its prime?

again how is this so. A firmware for a piece of hardware > Games. New firmware gives way for new games thus new firmware is more available

What are you talking about ... ?

The last outstanding game Rare made was Perfect Dark.

Roma said:

Hmm well how come they did an amazing job with Metroid or are fans pissed of at Nintendo as well? Team Ninja did not succeed as well as Retro did (not saying Other M is bad I love it but the other games are better)

I don’t think the new rare would make games as good as the old rare used to do. There must be a reason why Nintendo sold them. Something was going on in rare and it was time to let them go. Golden Eye did revolutionize FPS games but it was at a time where it was new on consoles so it was possible for them to bring in something new.

So do you think the rare we have today could make a better DKC game than DKCR?

DKCR is an awesome game I just put a 5 there to piss off Bouli :P  

I honestly don't know if Rare could do a better game then DKCR, though it appears what Rare wanted to do was take it in another direction (dk64) I prefer that way, others prefer the other but what I find amusing is that people in this thread want to believe that Rare is past its prime without bringing in all factors. Rare is less of a games company now and more of an administration/programming company.

Do they still make games? yes.

Is that why MS bought them? Not by the looks of it

The whole point Nintendo might have sold them becasue MS brought out a blank cheque to Nintendo as well and Nintendo was going in another direction anyway. There are not a lot of games like DK64 and Banjo Kazooie that doesnt have a Mario in it on the Wii. That is fine what they are doing sells. But maybe just maybe Rare wanted to do other things and MS let them.

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Boutros said:
Ninpanda said:
Boutros said:

No. There's nothing insulting about being compared to the developer with the best classic to crap ratio this side of Team Ico.

Wut?

Comparing the new Rare vs the current Retro is okay but one has to remember that neither DKCR nor Metroid Prime would be alive if it weren't from Rareware's DKC and Goldeneye. They were la crème de la crème.

I don’t see how the prime games have anything to do with rare :P

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

fwap said:
AussieGecko said:

again how is this so. A firmware for a piece of hardware > Games. New firmware gives way for new games thus new firmware is more available

And this is the problem I am having. Read what I said.
In your opinion the last good game Rare made was PD. That is fine, firstly that is your opinion, secondly Rare doesnt just do games. They do something that Retro can't (or hasn't done yet).

So again let us compare apples to apples and not apples to spaghetti.

They are 2 different situations and you keep bringing up only games. That is not only what Rare does, that is what Retro does and only what Retro does.

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network
Roma said:
Boutros said:
Ninpanda said:
Boutros said:

Wut?

I don’t see how the prime games have anything to do with rare :P

I mean that Rare innovated so much with Goldeneye. They are the ones who implemented the genre on a mass scale.

fwap said:
AussieGecko said:
fwap said:

I don't think anyone's mad that Nintendo let Rare go when they did, why should they be when Rare was already way passed its prime?

Banjo-Tooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day and Star Fox Adventures say hi.

AussieGecko said:
fwap said:
AussieGecko said:

And this is the problem I am having. Read what I said.
In your opinion the last good game Rare made was PD. That is fine, firstly that is your opinion, secondly Rare doesnt just do games. They do something that Retro can't (or hasn't done yet).

So again let us compare apples to apples and not apples to spaghetti.

They are 2 different situations and you keep bringing up only games. That is not only what Rare does, that is what Retro does and only what Retro does.

Sure do! Seeing how I like playing games.

I'm not sure what this has to do with people supposedly feeling angry that Nintendo let Rare go, after they stopped bringing in the big games.

Boutros said:
fwap said:
AussieGecko said:
fwap said:

We had already seen the 3D platformer done well in the original Banjo, the sequel/Conker's/DK64 were hardly outstanding, and I'll never forgive Rare for their involvement in the monstrosity that is Star Fox Adventures! My favourite franchise ever and they pissed all over it.

fwap said:
Boutros said:
fwap said:
AussieGecko said:
fwap said:

We had already seen the 3D platformer done well in the original Banjo, the sequel/Conker's/DK64 were hardly outstanding, and I'll never forgive Rare for their involvement the monstrosity that is Star Fox Adventures! My favourite franchise ever and they pissed all over it.

It's not because it's more of the same that it can't be outstanding.