By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - *Rare VS Retro*

*Rare VS Retro*

Rare 107 35.20%

Retro 194 63.82%

Total:301

A lot of people seem to call Retro the new Rare now after D.K.C.R but are they really as good as Rare was?

I didn't like the Metroid Primes and I haven't played D.K.C.R yet but as of now Rare is and was way better than Retro.

Around the Network

I loved Prime and Prime 2, but Prime 3 and DKCR felt like average games anyone could have made. So Rare's still better, until Retro gets back to making a game of the former's quality again.

Even just on production values (graphics and music), Retro never matched Prime 1. You'd think with the Wii's processing power they could make it look better at least.

Damned I thought this was a discussion about  Rare (hard to find) games VS retro (nostalgia) games..

Soleron said:

I loved Prime and Prime 2, but Prime 3 and DKCR felt like average games anyone could have made. So Rare's still better, until Retro gets back to making a game of the former's quality again.

Even just on production values (graphics and music), Retro never matched Prime 1. You'd think with the Wii's processing power they could make it look better at least.

Before I enter in rage mode, I ask you to delete that part. Please.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Retro gets a tad to much praise. Its easy to take a already established IP and add to it

Lets see how they fair with a original IP

Around the Network

Jeez, how many threads are you making today?

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Rare haven't made anything that tops Metroid Prime, in my opinion. It's exactly what Rol said; what Retro did with Prime is comparable to what EAD achieved with Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time. That's a trio of some of the finest games ever made.

That's rather insulting for Rareware to be compared to Retro.

This post is going to be long, but whatever...

I finished DKCR a few weeks ago and I must say it's been a while since a game made me laugh this much! Every level always had it's cool part, or very stressful ones (those damn checkpoints that never come after you've collect 3 Kong letters, etc.). And those minecart levels, man, some of them were insane with all the stuff going on in the background!

I'm glad to see there are still developers like Retro that know what makes a game. The game wasn't that hard, but I know that some people might have trouble in certain parts. They made a real true old school game and I hope it'll become a classic like the old ones.

Personally, I feel like this is the best Donkey Kong Country. In the old ones, every time they introduced a new enemy they spammed it to no end in every other level after that. Most of the levels were so similar... If you want my humble opinion, Rare are the overrated devs and they deserve what they're getting being with Microsoft and all.

Let Retro work on an original IP and they'll still make anything better than whatever Rare could accomplish. I'm THAT serious.

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

rare from snes and n64 days for me.