By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

*Rare VS Retro*

Rare 107 35.20%

Retro 194 63.82%

Total:301
Beuli2 said:

What about Prime 2? I'm liking it so far, despite being a little frustrating and hard.

I like it. The layout is a bit predictable (3 temple keys per area, 3 areas, play each room twice due to dark world, 9 final keys) but it's still a great game. They did better with the dark world than I expected. The boss battles, and environment music are standout amazing.

Around the Network
milkyjoe said:

The thing is, Rare being reduced to creating avatars and firmware (and yes, I use reduced with all the negative connotation it implies) is one of the saddest things I've ever witnessed in gaming, and I'm sure I'm not alone there.

Here you have the company responsible for some of the great games of the 90s (albeit minus a few key staff members), having a lot of their effort focused on something other than creating games. I want to see them put out games as good as they used to (and if they did, I'd buy a 360 in an instant), because some random firmware means nothing to me.

It's like Nintendo someday telling Miyamoto that he can only create the user interface for the next console and have no other involvement in anything beyond that. It'd be disgraceful.

Yes, Rare in their heyday were possibly better than Retro are now. But the deterioration of Rare since then is unarguable... Meanwhile, Retro have a bright future. I can't say the same for Rare, but the worst thing is I don't foresee that changing.

See I am done with this thread, can moderators please do something about these continuous threads. Look at that bold, just pathetic effort at trolling. The previous threads have covered these nice and truly. 

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

AussieGecko said:
milkyjoe said:

The thing is, Rare being reduced to creating avatars and firmware (and yes, I use reduced with all the negative connotation it implies) is one of the saddest things I've ever witnessed in gaming, and I'm sure I'm not alone there.

Here you have the company responsible for some of the great games of the 90s (albeit minus a few key staff members), having a lot of their effort focused on something other than creating games. I want to see them put out games as good as they used to (and if they did, I'd buy a 360 in an instant), because some random firmware means nothing to me.

It's like Nintendo someday telling Miyamoto that he can only create the user interface for the next console and have no other involvement in anything beyond that. It'd be disgraceful.

Yes, Rare in their heyday were possibly better than Retro are now. But the deterioration of Rare since then is unarguable... Meanwhile, Retro have a bright future. I can't say the same for Rare, but the worst thing is I don't foresee that changing.

See I am done with this thread, can moderators please do something about these continuous threads. Look at that bold, just pathetic effort at trolling. The previous threads have covered these nice and truly. 

How is that trolling? I am honestly saddened by the direction that Rare have taken. Not everyone is going to like what they're doing these days. Hell, are you aware of MundoRare? A Rare fansite... They shutdown last year because they couldn't support the direction that Rare were going in any longer.

People clearly aren't happy with Rare's current direction. That's just the way it is.

VGChartz

milkyjoe said:
AussieGecko said:
milkyjoe said:

How is that trolling? I am honestly saddened by the direction that Rare have taken. Not everyone is going to like what they're doing these days. Hell, are you aware of MundoRare? A Rare fansite... They shutdown last year because they couldn't support the direction that Rare were going in any longer.

People clearly aren't happy with Rare's current direction. That's just the way it is.

I agree with you.

It looks like Microsoft only wanted Rare because they saw Rare as some kind of Nintendo Jr., so when Nintendo expanded their focus with the DS and Wii, Microsoft told Rare to "do that".  I always felt that Rare was more like a Hardcore Nintendo, that they complemented Nintendo with the hardcore games that Nintendo themselves didn't make.  Having them separate meant Rare lost the connection with Nintendo that made it special, and they became just another hardcore company; worse, they are now a hardcore company being told to make "casual" games, which leads to the same cheap crap that all the other casual games made by hardcore developers end up being, instead of the "expanded audience" games Nintendo talked about.

Veder Juda is hand crafted from EPIC FAIL, and is a 96% certified Looney; the other 4% is a work in progress.

Is AussieGecko a Rare employee or something? How can you take people's opinions so personally?

Around the Network

Guys, Metroid Prime owes more to Ocarina of Time, in terms of combat, than it does to Goldeneye.

More, Goldeneye didn't "invent" the console FPS either - Turok: Dinosaur Hunter came before it amongst dozens of others. You can say that it was the first one really built around the limitations of a single control stick without the use of digital movement in the C buttons, and that would be true, but Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were multiplayer-focused mission-based bulletfests, while Metroid Prime was none of those things.

Metroid Prime was built with few (if any) of the traditions and gameplay models that defined RARE's shooters.

Khuutra said:

Guys, Metroid Prime owes more to Ocarina of Time, in terms of combat, than it does to Goldeneye.

More, Goldeneye didn't "invent" the console FPS either - Turok: Dinosaur Hunter came before it amongst dozens of others. You can say that it was the first one really built around the limitations of a single control stick without the use of digital movement in the C buttons, and that would be true, but Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were multiplayer-focused mission-based bulletfests, while Metroid Prime was none of those things.

Metroid Prime was built with few (if any) of the traditions and gameplay models that defined RARE's shooters.

http://www.nintendoeverything.com/54427/

9. GoldenEye 007
Influenced such games: Metroid Prime, Call of Duty: World at War, The Conduit

Goldeneye "invented" the FPS genre as much as the Wii "invented" motion gaming.

Boutros said:
Khuutra said:

9. GoldenEye 007

Boutros, I do not care what Nintendo Everything thinks Goldeneye influenced. Metroid Prime owes more to Half-Life than it does to Goldeneye, and shares none of Goldeneye's play structure or focus.

Khuutra said:
Boutros said:
Khuutra said:

9. GoldenEye 007

Boutros, I do not care what Nintendo Everything thinks Goldeneye influenced. Metroid Prime owes more to Half-Life than it does to Goldeneye, and shares none of Goldeneye's play structure or focus.

If you would have actually read the article I posted, you would have seen that it was an article made by Nintendo Power who most likely have talked with the developers of Retro Studios in an interview and they said that Metroid Prime was influenced by Goldeneye 007.

Boutros said:
Khuutra said:

If you would have actually read the article I posted, you would have seen that it was an article made by Nintendo Power who most likely have talked with the developers of Retro Studios in an interview and they said that Metroid Prime was influenced by Goldeneye 007.

An impressive leap in logic! Wait, no, it's an egregious affront to honest discussion to pretend that this list is "most likely" citing an interview with Retro Studios where Goldeneye is named as a major influence. Cite the source for that claim and you can get somewhere.

Until that time, the point remains that Metroid Prime has two major influences: Super Metroid (structurally) and Ocarina of Time (mechanically). The game wasn't even intended to be first-person originally, so its perspective concept being owed to Goldeneye is already off the table.